BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-09-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: avisser

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
Hi Ann. Nice work on the Oly - I love that distance.

KC

Originally posted by avisser

Hey all,
Just caught up on all the posts. You guys are amazing! So much great info and help!
Michelle, you are awesome!!!!! What an inspiration. I also ignore the watch!! It is so hard not to. I have done OLY Rev events and they are well done. I'll have to consider that if I feel I can ever get the IM distance done.
I finally had a great race. I did an OLY out East in the Hamptons on Long Island. Second time. Last year, my chain fell off on a down hill, really??? I was so annoyed. I took 11 min off my bike and 5 min off my run. And didn't have to stop to pee. Maybe I was a bit under hydrated but it worked. I just made myself keep running, I did my 5:1 run walk and mostly kept to it. There were a few 15-30 sec un scheduled walks but I pushed through. I finally averaged over 15 mph on the bike. 15.4, a first for me. My legs were toast after the bike. I have heard of trainer road and I do have a Garmin, so Tim I might take you up on getting me started on that program for the long cold winter season here in NY.
There were so many people I wanted to comment back to but I have read through again. So that's it for now.
Could I request that we sign off with our names? It is so time consuming to keep going back to profiles to see who is who. If you are not comfortable with it, no worries.
Great job everyone!
Hey KTC, when is IMAZ??

ann

2013-09-12 2:32 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team -what is up?

I hope everyone is doing ok. I am finally tired of sitting on my A$$ since IM MTB and got out for a run in the 90 degree weather here yesterday. That's right team 90 plus here yesterday in Windsor Ontario and I loved it.

I have to say though, my ankle is still a bit wonky which is a bit of a concern.

However, it was nice to get out even though life has been hectic the past few weeks since my return from Quebec. Work - House - Coaching = busy.

I also want to say I am sorry if I was not able to stat as active here as I have been in the past. I am hoping that will change for the next go around. I plan on coming back and I hope everyone else does as well.

So - who has races left for this season? KTC has IM Arizona I know that for sure. Does anyone else have anything going on?

KC
2013-09-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Expert
Nice racing Mike! The biggest challenge in triathlon racing is overcoming the unexpected obstacles and how you deal with them. You did a great job (although I would have taken that guys wet suit and dropped it three aisles over haha). Now you have a great base and gauge for your next races. Glad you decided to stick around and hope you continue with us during the off season to get ready for next year!
Originally posted by MikeMcK

Whew. Okay. The good news is I did not come in dead last. That's right, there were three chumps slower than me.

But in all seriousness, I'm surprisingly happy with such a low ranking. I know I was slow going in and had predicted a finishing time around five hours.

The breakdown:

0.6 Mile Swim: 25:57
T1: 3:41
39 Mile Bike: 2:49
T2: 1:26
10k Run: 1:17
Overall: 4:39:04

Because of the non-standard lengths on the swim and bike it's hard to compare, but the run was a PR. When I did an Olympic in '09 the run took me 1:32. So I went faster with a much longer ride.

The day started out late, there was a half-ironman at the same time and they began at 7am. Meanwhile us Olympic Plusers hung out until 8:30. Not bad since I got to sleep in before a race.

The water was 71 degrees, so I did wear my wetsuit for the buoyancy. I do think this helped. I was nervous about getting smashed so I started the swim far in the back. I ended up passing a few people, but mostly took it easy since I wasn't sure if I'd have the strength for the bike if I went all out. Got kicked a couple of times and one woman who was zig-zagging ran into my left side and then my right side a minute or two later. Both times it was almost perpendicular. I'm guessing she had some trouble sighting.

Transition was slow, but I expected that. I wanted to be sure I left with everything so I took my time. Last year I forgot my cycling gloves so I was anxious about making the same mistake.

The course map said the bike route was mostly flat. It lied. According to Strava, there was over 3000 feet of gain, and I believe it. That's not Lake Placid or anything, but it was a lot of up and down, both steep climbs and slow, long climbs full of false flats. True, there was some opportunity for fast decants, but on my '05 stock Specialized Allez I can't take advantage like those on the TT bikes. Plus my wonky drive train kept me out of the middle ring for most of the race. Which was fine. Even at ~14mph I was faster than many of my training rides on much flatter routes. Passed some people on the bike, got passed by more including three racers running a straight up pace line. Seriously, it was like watching Team Pursuit the way they were switching pulls. Very annoying, but what can you do? I had to race my race.

T2 was good, except for my neighbor who threw his wetsuit onto all of my stuff. Guess he was going for a world record so he couldn't be bothered. Because of this I started off in wet shoes, but it really was the last thing on my mind after a half mile. Almost instantly my calves seized. I should have done more brick workouts to train my muscles for the transition I guess. I kept shuffling along (relentless forward progress, after all) and took a banana at the first water station. The stiffness went away and I kept going. I decided before the race I would run walk, walking 30 seconds every 4.5 minutes. That's a little more walking than I do in my training runs, but also I figured I would need it after the ride. The run was an out an back with a sharp climb, a decent, a mile-long climb, and then a little bit of flat to the turn around. It went fairly well except for one unmarked section where I convinced myself I had left the route. In the end I ran faster than I did in training, so I was pleased with that. I'll start working on my speed next week so I can try and improve in that area.

I knew I wasn't going to do anything but finish this year and I did that, so I'm happy. Maybe next year I'll do it again and try to set a course PR.

For now I'm thinking about a half-marathon in October and then maybe Syracuse 70.3 next summer. I'd still like to go for Ironman Kentucky (which never seemed to sell out this year for some reason, what's up with that?), but I'll just have to be sure I can devote that much time and money to racing. And buy a Cervelo time trial bike so I can get aero.

I know I was a half-lurker this summer, but I do want to thank everyone on the team for their help and support. Even just reading your stories kept me going when I was thinking I was considering quitting earlier in the summer. Seriously, thank you so much!

Mike
2013-09-12 4:31 PM
in reply to: Lou_70

User image

Expert
Awesome Lou - that is great that you were able to get in. I agree and this is becoming a regular problem with the registration. I understand that they want to try to get the tri-clubs more involved from a business standpoint but my feeling is I like the volunteer then general public thing. I shouldn;t have to join a tri-club to do a race.
Originally posted by Lou_70

Yep I'm registered. That was one complete cluster of a sign up.

IMHO they should either make this a 2 day event.. I mean 1/2 go Saturday and the other half go Sunday or stop all these early access reasons.
This is not the only race that offered the team signups. Regardless every other IM u get early signups for tons of other reasons. I'm Florida sold out in 30 secs last year. Wonder how many spots were available 3? It should be the same chance to sign up if you have done 30 ironmans or the first.

I'm extremely happy I am signed up, but very sad for my friends and other people I know who couldn't make it in the huge 3 minute window

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Hey Lou, did you get signed up for IM Chattanooga?

To keep everyone in the loop, supposedly it sold out in 3 minutes, but there is so many stories going around on when exactly it did sell out. It all started out when WTC was giving early registration to those who were a part of a tri club in the area. If you were a member of that club you were able to registrar before everyone else. Because so many people were trying to sign up and was in a holding path after entering all their information and then was bumped out of their registration WTC is trying to make it up to them. If WTC was able to see that you were trying to register and got booted out they are giving them a week to decide if they want to sign up for Wisconsin, Florida and one more IM in 2014. I guess because of that and Active.com screwed up registration that they pushed back on-line registration for Wisconsin a week.

Kathy (KTC)

2013-09-12 4:36 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Expert
Congrats on your finish! That is awesome. Sorry I was not able to track you since I was cruising around the IMWI course with adead cell phone all day 15:03 is an awesome time (any 140.6 under 17 hours is an awesome time). Now you know what to work on for your next one. The Run.... Do you think you buried yourself on the bike and that is why you were cashed for the run? I love the fact that you are able to run in with your family for the REV3 races and totally agree that IM has someone else nipping at their heals.

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

Thanks everyone! I did it! Sometimes I think it is completely unreal and that some other person took over my body and did it. Then I try to move and realize that it was definitely me.

The swim got moved from it's original location. I am so glad they had a back-up. The swim is usually in Lake Erie. We ended up swimming in the bay on the opposite side of Cedar Point. The water was choppy when we got to the more open area but it was swimmable. We basically swam around an island. That made sighting pretty easy. We didn't have a mass start since we started off a boat ramp. It was a time trial instead. I liked that even more. I didn't have much bumping, hitting, etc. My goal (if I were having a great swim) was 2:00. I was super excited when I looked at my watch and saw 1:42. I know that is slow for most people but that was a HUGE gift for me for this race. I had no idea what the rest of the day was going to be like and I wanted every extra minute I could get. Because they moved the swim, we had .6 mile run to transition. They told us we should get stickers for our cars that say 141.2! Yes! I am an Ultra Ironman!!!!

The weather that caused the huge waves, small craft advisory and rip tide advisory included 20mph winds! Yep. And most of the bike seemed to go right into it. If we didn't have a headwind, it was coming at you from the side. Those with race wheels were really have problems. I managed to pull off an average of 16mph. My goal was to not drop below 15mph. With the wind, I wasn't sure what would happen. I was thrilled to see the good time (for me).

Next was the run. I felt great going into it. I thought for sure I would easily run the first half and then see what happened from there. That is not what happened. I ran the first 3-4 miles and then started walking. UGH! I was tired and sore and knew I had enough time to walk the whole thing if I needed to but that would make for a very long evening. Since my watch was set to beep every 5 minutes, I walked 5 then ran 5. This worked to get me past the 1/2 way point. Then the wheels started coming off. I was walking and when my watch beeped, I ignored it. Oh, I am sure at the time I came up with good excuses. I tried running some more and found myself looking at my watch after only 1 minute wondering if the 5 minutes were up. I finally made the decision to walk (it was less painful). I told myself that if I am going to walk, I will "walk with a purpose". I began walking determined to keep it at a 15:00 pace or better. In looking at my splits, I have 7-8 miles at the end that I was walking 12:30 average pace!!!!!

The finish came and my parents, husband, daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were able to walk into the finish chute and cross the finish line with me! That moment was PRICELESS! And yes, as I crossed the finish line I cried my eyes out! What an amazing experience. Finish time 15:03:36 I'll take that.

Rev3 will be adding more and more races. I highly recommend them. They are very spectator friendly, less expensive than Ironman and don't sell out in less than 5 minutes. The staff is wonderful. The medal this year actually lights up! I think Ironman has some serious competition on the rise.

Now time to plan 2014! What to do? What to do?
2013-09-12 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Nice work on your OLY race Ann - that is a huge cut in time from the previous year. As far as your chain falling off I think that is pretty common in downhills. I lost my chain 5 times last year in IMWI all on downhills from improper shifting (twice in the exact same spot on the loop)

As far as looking at previous posts - no you can't. that is why I usually reply one by one because I have a terrible memory and can't do the catch all post haha. you could open the page up in another window and use that as reference?

Tim

Hey all,
Just caught up on all the posts. You guys are amazing! So much great info and help!
Michelle, you are awesome!!!!! What an inspiration. I also ignore the watch!! It is so hard not to. I have done OLY Rev events and they are well done. I'll have to consider that if I feel I can ever get the IM distance done.
I finally had a great race. I did an OLY out East in the Hamptons on Long Island. Second time. Last year, my chain fell off on a down hill, really??? I was so annoyed. I took 11 min off my bike and 5 min off my run. And didn't have to stop to pee. Maybe I was a bit under hydrated but it worked. I just made myself keep running, I did my 5:1 run walk and mostly kept to it. There were a few 15-30 sec un scheduled walks but I pushed through. I finally averaged over 15 mph on the bike. 15.4, a first for me. My legs were toast after the bike. I have heard of trainer road and I do have a Garmin, so Tim I might take you up on getting me started on that program for the long cold winter season here in NY.
There were so many people I wanted to comment back to but I have read through again. So that's it for now.
Could I request that we sign off with our names? It is so time consuming to keep going back to profiles to see who is who. If you are not comfortable with it, no worries.
Great job everyone!
Hey KTC, when is IMAZ??

ann

2013-09-12 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
KC - I am digging the new avatar! Looks so professional haha. Don't worry we know you have been busy so don't stress out about it.

As far as races I have Chicago Marathon in 4 weeks. Could not come fast enough. Done with tri's for the year.

Originally posted by kcgolf

Hey Team -what is up?

I hope everyone is doing ok. I am finally tired of sitting on my A$$ since IM MTB and got out for a run in the 90 degree weather here yesterday. That's right team 90 plus here yesterday in Windsor Ontario and I loved it.

I have to say though, my ankle is still a bit wonky which is a bit of a concern.

However, it was nice to get out even though life has been hectic the past few weeks since my return from Quebec. Work - House - Coaching = busy.

I also want to say I am sorry if I was not able to stat as active here as I have been in the past. I am hoping that will change for the next go around. I plan on coming back and I hope everyone else does as well.

So - who has races left for this season? KTC has IM Arizona I know that for sure. Does anyone else have anything going on?

KC
2013-09-12 4:51 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Expert
So I have been feeling great the past few weeks and my hernia pain has actually gone down significantly until last night... I did a 9 mile tempo run w/ 5 miles at 8:24 pace. Felt really sluggish for first mile then picked it up. Held my tempo run portion strong and finish feeling great. Decided to do some push up and light core work and woke up feeling terrible. I need to layoff the core stuff i guess. I am really frustrated because I can feel my strength just draining from me since I have only been running since mid-July. I have stayed away from weights, core work and have not had time to swim since my runs are all in the AM.

I guess I will just have to deal with it until after the race. For insurance reasons I might wait until the first of the year but not sure if I can wait that long. After Racine 70.3 I was feeling so strong-probably the strongest I have ever felt so this is really frustrating...

Other than that the running has been going good. I am hitting all my race pace workouts and long runs. I have 18 to do on Sunday then my longest a 22 mile run next weekend.
2013-09-13 10:44 AM

User image

Regular
Tim,

I will be watching the Chicago Marathon. My GF will be running (for the 4th or 5th time). I will track you and may be I can catch you finish. I will have VIP tickets, so I can stand right by the finish line.

I feel very similar when I just run and do not cross-train (bike and swim). My body type will change if I just run (and not in a good way). I truly beleive all runners should do more cross-training.

Good Luck!

Todd
2013-09-14 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Txs for answering my questions, very helpful!! Txs for sharing about the chain also. I don't feel so badly.
How's it going KTC? I am thinking of you.
Michelle, how is recovering going??
I am done with races for the year and I miss training already. I have worked a zillion hurs this week and have only gotten a hot yoga class in. Strength and flexibiliy are my goals this off season.
Enjoy the week end!
ann
2013-09-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Expert
Todd - that would be awesome if you are at the finish line (maybe to catch me haha). I am planning on getting the MyAthlete GPS tracker so you can get real time.

I ended up doing a 15 mile race pace long run last night and felt pretty good. Did 15 at 8:59/mile pace. Legs were just a little sore but nothing major. If I can get to 20 at that pace then just somehow gut out the last 6 with the 3:00+ minutes I put in the bank I will be golden. I was kind of concerned with my HR since I seemed to be hovering upper Zone 3. I also did not take any nutrition during this run. This weekend I have my 22 miler and will work on the nutrition plan. Race is in less than 4 weeks and I am starting to get excited.

GARMIN CONNECT DATA
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/376429648

Originally posted by ettringite23

Tim,

I will be watching the Chicago Marathon. My GF will be running (for the 4th or 5th time). I will track you and may be I can catch you finish. I will have VIP tickets, so I can stand right by the finish line.

I feel very similar when I just run and do not cross-train (bike and swim). My body type will change if I just run (and not in a good way). I truly beleive all runners should do more cross-training.

Good Luck!

Todd

2013-09-16 12:47 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

Hope everyone is well.

TIM. - Glad you like the new pic a friend of mine put it together for me.

You are going to rock the marathon, I can just feel it. As far as core strength is concerned, for right now I am completely committed to off season workouts starting in October and some serious bike work. That of course is for right now - check in with me at the start of October. I did however get one a nice run in end of last week and swim.

I did not do a damn thing this pas weekend except have a storage unit I have been using for the past 18 months delivered to my house and I spent the last 2 days sorting it out - junk upon more junk but at least I am not paying for the storage unit anymore

One last hurdle to clear for my house - the Kitchen guys are in my house today tearing out the old kitchen and the new one goes in next week and then I can finally settle in - can't wait. I will post pictures (before and after) when it is all done.

Have a great week everyone and stay safe.

KC
2013-09-16 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Ok all. I need some advice. It is now 8 days since my 140.6. The only workout so far has been a 6 mile run on Saturday. I feel completely lost. I loved having a training schedule and knowing exactly what I needed to do. I currently have plans for a marathon in May and another HIM in August. I am sure there will be some other races thrown in-between.

My biggest issue right now is just feeling almost depressed. I have spent a year training for that race. It's over. I don't feel like I did what I am capable of so I don't feel like the title of "Ironman" has really been earned. I read an article the other day that said almost anyone can do 140.6 in 17 hours. I am desperately searching for answers to "why I do this, what comes next, and what to do now". I know I can not sit and do nothing until my marathon training starts in December. I keep hearing to take it easy. What does that mean exactly? Since June of 2006 I have been running 4-6 days a week. How do I just do little to nothing? When is it ok to go back to 4-6 days of working out? I don't want to lose all that I have built over this last year.

Thanks for any advice. I really am not usually like this. This is the first time I didn't have to jump right back into training for another race. I am very goal driven. Maybe I should drown myself in work. By the way, my husband and I became empty nesters in March so I have a lot more free time that I never had before. That made it great for training but it leaves a void when I am not training.
2013-09-16 3:07 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Michelle.

FIRST THINGS FIRST If anyone can do a 140.6 mile Triathlon - why aren't they? That is complete BULL $HIT. (pardon my language)

Now - on to the other issue of feeling lost - and I get that for sure - almost like a mourning period and I think we all feel it. We go from one of the greatest accomplishments in our lives that has been the culmination of living, breathing, eating and working towards a goal most people would never even consider to being idle, with no more single minded focus and it is tough. It is almost like we have spent all this time completely changing our hard wiring and programing and now - our minds and bodies want us to continue the challenge. However, you must rest - no matter what and I am sure some people need more than others but it is important for both mind and body. You will not lose it and it will come back because you have reprogrammed both mind and body and that will not be erased in 4-6 weeks even though I also worry about the same stuff.

I think perhaps you should set those empty nest sights on another 140.6 vision? If not, perhaps a change of focus on shorter distance racing? Either way, I believe we Triathletes need a focus and a plan and I like it. You will figure it out and you will start training soon but I would say give yourself at least 3 weeks and then - you will figure out what is next - because you are a long distance Triathlete - capable of doing what ever the hell you want when you set your mind and body to it.

KC

Ok all. I need some advice. It is now 8 days since my 140.6. The only workout so far has been a 6 mile run on Saturday. I feel completely lost. I loved having a training schedule and knowing exactly what I needed to do. I currently have plans for a marathon in May and another HIM in August. I am sure there will be some other races thrown in-between.

My biggest issue right now is just feeling almost depressed. I have spent a year training for that race. It's over. I don't feel like I did what I am capable of so I don't feel like the title of "Ironman" has really been earned. I read an article the other day that said almost anyone can do 140.6 in 17 hours. I am desperately searching for answers to "why I do this, what comes next, and what to do now". I know I can not sit and do nothing until my marathon training starts in December. I keep hearing to take it easy. What does that mean exactly? Since June of 2006 I have been running 4-6 days a week. How do I just do little to nothing? When is it ok to go back to 4-6 days of working out? I don't want to lose all that I have built over this last year.

Thanks for any advice. I really am not usually like this. This is the first time I didn't have to jump right back into training for another race. I am very goal driven. Maybe I should drown myself in work. By the way, my husband and I became empty nesters in March so I have a lot more free time that I never had before. That made it great for training but it leaves a void when I am not training.
2013-09-16 3:12 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Ok Team. I am looking for some advice. As mentioned in a previous post I am planning on dedicating the off season to a good work out regiment and I want your advice. I have never been much of a gym goer and now have a space in my new house to build my own home gym. I am looking to equip it with a good home gym - that is easy to use, effective and universal. Anyone have any suggestions?

KC
2013-09-16 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations again Michelle! How awesome to have your family cross that finish line with you. I was crying when you talked about how your family crossed that finish line with you and how you spent the day. I have learned that not only are you doing an Ironman but so is your family in a different way and having them cross that finish line with had to mean so much to them as well.

As for what to do next..... Relax and enjoy the time off, find a new class to take. Last year it took me a long time to bounce back, if I tried running my HR was in z4/5 and I was barely moving. However I know what you mean about having a schedule, that is what I am dreading after my race as I am so use to having my coach tell me what to do every day. Good luck, but also relax.

Thanks everyone! I did it! Sometimes I think it is completely unreal and that some other person took over my body and did it. Then I try to move and realize that it was definitely me.

The swim got moved from it's original location. I am so glad they had a back-up. The swim is usually in Lake Erie. We ended up swimming in the bay on the opposite side of Cedar Point. The water was choppy when we got to the more open area but it was swimmable. We basically swam around an island. That made sighting pretty easy. We didn't have a mass start since we started off a boat ramp. It was a time trial instead. I liked that even more. I didn't have much bumping, hitting, etc. My goal (if I were having a great swim) was 2:00. I was super excited when I looked at my watch and saw 1:42. I know that is slow for most people but that was a HUGE gift for me for this race. I had no idea what the rest of the day was going to be like and I wanted every extra minute I could get. Because they moved the swim, we had .6 mile run to transition. They told us we should get stickers for our cars that say 141.2! Yes! I am an Ultra Ironman!!!!

The weather that caused the huge waves, small craft advisory and rip tide advisory included 20mph winds! Yep. And most of the bike seemed to go right into it. If we didn't have a headwind, it was coming at you from the side. Those with race wheels were really have problems. I managed to pull off an average of 16mph. My goal was to not drop below 15mph. With the wind, I wasn't sure what would happen. I was thrilled to see the good time (for me).

Next was the run. I felt great going into it. I thought for sure I would easily run the first half and then see what happened from there. That is not what happened. I ran the first 3-4 miles and then started walking. UGH! I was tired and sore and knew I had enough time to walk the whole thing if I needed to but that would make for a very long evening. Since my watch was set to beep every 5 minutes, I walked 5 then ran 5. This worked to get me past the 1/2 way point. Then the wheels started coming off. I was walking and when my watch beeped, I ignored it. Oh, I am sure at the time I came up with good excuses. I tried running some more and found myself looking at my watch after only 1 minute wondering if the 5 minutes were up. I finally made the decision to walk (it was less painful). I told myself that if I am going to walk, I will "walk with a purpose". I began walking determined to keep it at a 15:00 pace or better. In looking at my splits, I have 7-8 miles at the end that I was walking 12:30 average pace!!!!!

The finish came and my parents, husband, daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were able to walk into the finish chute and cross the finish line with me! That moment was PRICELESS! And yes, as I crossed the finish line I cried my eyes out! What an amazing experience. Finish time 15:03:36 I'll take that.

Rev3 will be adding more and more races. I highly recommend them. They are very spectator friendly, less expensive than Ironman and don't sell out in less than 5 minutes. The staff is wonderful. The medal this year actually lights up! I think Ironman has some serious competition on the rise.

Now time to plan 2014! What to do? What to do?

2013-09-16 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ann, great job on your Oly! And for your bike pace! I know you worry about it and you did great.

IMAZ is Nov 17th, I have a HIM on the 9/29 that I haven't even really thought about.

Kathy (KTC)

Hey all,
Great job everyone!
Hey KTC, when is IMAZ??

ann

2013-09-16 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am not a big fan of the tri-club getting to register early. I know that for Ironman Chattanooga you could sign up for a club in Charlotte, NC and be a part of their team and get early registration. So what they are doing is allowing these clubs to get new members just so they can register early.

Lou, so glad you got in. My goal is to volunteer and maybe do that in 2015.

Originally posted by tmoran80

Awesome Lou - that is great that you were able to get in. I agree and this is becoming a regular problem with the registration. I understand that they want to try to get the tri-clubs more involved from a business standpoint but my feeling is I like the volunteer then general public thing. I shouldn;t have to join a tri-club to do a race.

Yep I'm registered. That was one complete cluster of a sign up.

IMHO they should either make this a 2 day event.. I mean 1/2 go Saturday and the other half go Sunday or stop all these early access reasons.
This is not the only race that offered the team signups. Regardless every other IM u get early signups for tons of other reasons. I'm Florida sold out in 30 secs last year. Wonder how many spots were available 3? It should be the same chance to sign up if you have done 30 ironmans or the first.

I'm extremely happy I am signed up, but very sad for my friends and other people I know who couldn't make it in the huge 3 minute window

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Hey Lou, did you get signed up for IM Chattanooga?

To keep everyone in the loop, supposedly it sold out in 3 minutes, but there is so many stories going around on when exactly it did sell out. It all started out when WTC was giving early registration to those who were a part of a tri club in the area. If you were a member of that club you were able to registrar before everyone else. Because so many people were trying to sign up and was in a holding path after entering all their information and then was bumped out of their registration WTC is trying to make it up to them. If WTC was able to see that you were trying to register and got booted out they are giving them a week to decide if they want to sign up for Wisconsin, Florida and one more IM in 2014. I guess because of that and Active.com screwed up registration that they pushed back on-line registration for Wisconsin a week.

Kathy (KTC)

2013-09-16 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
KC, I haven't known you to sit on your A$$ for very long. In fact you need to learn to sit on it longer and let your body heal.

Hey Team -what is up?

KC
2013-09-16 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Totally agree KC! And yes, we do all go through the depression of what to do next. I am already thinking about what am I going to do next year and my Ironman race hasn't happen yet (8 more weeks).

When talking to the hubby about next year and what I wanted to do, he asked me hasn't there been things you have been wanting to do and haven't because you have been so focus on training and well yes, there has been. So I had thought of 50 things to do before I turn 50 but then I realize that I can't complete everything by then. So instead I came up with what athletic events do I want to do. Like the Mud Run or Spartan Race, I have been afraid to do those because of getting injured and not being able to race. I want to do the Goofy challenge one day. Also, I am looking forward to working on my bike handling skills and getting faster on it. So it is all how you look at it. Now ask me in about 6 months from now if I feel the same way.

Hi Michelle.

FIRST THINGS FIRST If anyone can do a 140.6 mile Triathlon - why aren't they? That is complete BULL $HIT. (pardon my language)

Now - on to the other issue of feeling lost - and I get that for sure - almost like a mourning period and I think we all feel it. We go from one of the greatest accomplishments in our lives that has been the culmination of living, breathing, eating and working towards a goal most people would never even consider to being idle, with no more single minded focus and it is tough. It is almost like we have spent all this time completely changing our hard wiring and programing and now - our minds and bodies want us to continue the challenge. However, you must rest - no matter what and I am sure some people need more than others but it is important for both mind and body. You will not lose it and it will come back because you have reprogrammed both mind and body and that will not be erased in 4-6 weeks even though I also worry about the same stuff.

I think perhaps you should set those empty nest sights on another 140.6 vision? If not, perhaps a change of focus on shorter distance racing? Either way, I believe we Triathletes need a focus and a plan and I like it. You will figure it out and you will start training soon but I would say give yourself at least 3 weeks and then - you will figure out what is next - because you are a long distance Triathlete - capable of doing what ever the hell you want when you set your mind and body to it.

KC

2013-09-16 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tim, you are going to rock this marathon! I am exciting for you and can't wait to track you. (I don't think I have ever tracked anyone on a marathon before so this will be a first).

Kathy (KTC)

Originally posted by tmoran80

I ended up doing a 15 mile race pace long run last night and felt pretty good. Did 15 at 8:59/mile pace. Legs were just a little sore but nothing major. If I can get to 20 at that pace then just somehow gut out the last 6 with the 3:00+ minutes I put in the bank I will be golden. I was kind of concerned with my HR since I seemed to be hovering upper Zone 3. I also did not take any nutrition during this run. This weekend I have my 22 miler and will work on the nutrition plan. Race is in less than 4 weeks and I am starting to get excited.

GARMIN CONNECT DATA
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/376429648

2013-09-16 5:08 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi all,

As you can tell I have been away as we took a mini vacation last week, which helped my mental game. We went camping and I still got my training in. In fact I was able to do my first OWS of the year and with my full sleeve wetsuit. So on Tuesday I swam with the local tri group and we did the August 70.3 swim portion, which is a river swim and the current pretty much floats you down. I don't know what my problem was but I had to stop several times to catch my breath.....WTF I have been swimming that distance and more in the pool non-stop so why was I running out of steam on a 1.2 mile swim??!!! I was very frustrated with my swim. Then on Friday I was finally invited to swim with the local triathletes in the area in the lake. Once again I put on the full sleeve wetsuit and attempted a 3000 yard swim. Since we swim a triangle and have to do multiple laps I was just shy of 3000 but I swam the entire distance without stopping or having to do the breast stroke. Not sure what the difference there was but that helped my confidence level.

This past weekend I finally got to 72 miles on the bike and 15 miles on the run and I was still alive to talk about it versus what happen to me 2 weeks ago when I attempted the same distances and had a complete meltdown. I am worried that I don't have enough weeks left to get the time I need on the bike. I have my 70.3 on the 29th (in 13 days) and 8 weeks till IMAZ. As someone put it we really have 5 weeks left till we start tapering. Where did the time go???

I just made the reservation to get my bike transported to AZ, since we are flying I had to find a way to get the bike there. Has anyone used TriBike Transport? I have to drop the bike off at a bike shop about 90 minutes away and more then 2 weeks before I leave to allow TBT to transport it for me. I almost need to make a schedule of everything I need to do before then to get ready. Lesson learned here is to race where you can drive as coordinating everything is giving me a headache and I still have how many weeks left?!

Okay, I am done venting for the moment.
Kathy (KTC)
2013-09-16 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Michelle - KC is totally rigth and the person who probably wrote that is an Ironman finisher haha. I have found that I have also tended to "minimalize" the distance now that I have accomplished it but I still respect it. I learned that from the original mentor of this group David a few years ago. He was a multiple IM finisher and I went up to IMWI to watch him race and he DNF'd. He had some leg issues but I also think he might have thought he could get through it and didn't fully respect it. I still think about that to this day and it akes me respect the distance when I saw him out there that day. There are SO MANY decsions that need to be overcome during a 140.6 distance race that it takes experience and not just anyone can do it without that. NOW I DO BELIEVE that anyone who commits to it and trains can accomplish the race in 17 hours but that is much different than just anyone goin gout and just racing it.. Either way finishing is finishing in my book whether it is 9 hours or 16:59:59 .

As for your depression - yes you have the post IM blues! My only suggestion is to just do whatever the hell you feel like doing. Don't force yourself or follow a plan. What ever you lose fitness wise will come back. I remember having big plans last September - but those plans turned into me sitting on my a** for two months haha. It was hard getting back at it but I ended up having one of my best racing years this year and now am glad I took that time off and got back at it when it felt right. You will know when that time is. A little down time isn't going to kill you.

2013-09-16 6:48 PM

Orlando
Sheesh what a couple weeks does to a plan. Since our team all signed up for IM chatt, 2014 is just about totally changed.

Kinda worried about the hills since I live in the mountains of Orlando. But changed things up a bit to compensate

Doing:
Tower of terror 10 miler - oct 5th
Moss park oly tri oct 20th
Wine and dine half marathon nov 9th
Ouc half marathon dec 5th
Disney full marathon January
( I honestly hate running more on that later)
March sprint tri
March oly tri
Haines city 70.3 April
May- sept IM training
Sept IM Chattanooga

I think I am doing another half in June/July tbd

My current issue is I am starting all my runs too fast.. Too fast for me is 10 minute first mile pace.

I should be doing a 11:30 first mile and speeding up they rest of them to about 11:00. I am constantly burning myself out halfway through my runs no matter te distance over 5 miles.

Any suggestions on keeping a slow beginning pace? I hate having to walk because once I walk once I keep doing it more and more

Thanks!!

2013-09-17 12:16 AM
in reply to: Lou_70

User image

Expert
Do you have a Garmin? If so you can use the Virtual Partner or program your pace into the workout.

My current issue is I am starting all my runs too fast.. Too fast for me is 10 minute first mile pace.

I should be doing a 11:30 first mile and speeding up they rest of them to about 11:00. I am constantly burning myself out halfway through my runs no matter te distance over 5 miles.

Any suggestions on keeping a slow beginning pace? I hate having to walk because once I walk once I keep doing it more and more

Thanks!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28