BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-09-17 4:32 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

Orlando
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
I have a timex marathoner. It just seems like I'm crawling and I look at my watch and I'm running a 9 minute pace... Then the elephant jumps on my back and bam I'm walking...

2013-09-17 7:19 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

KTC - you have plenty of time and keep venting - I like it

I am guessing it might have been the wet suit giving you issues at first?

Hang in there KTC

KC

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Hi all,

As you can tell I have been away as we took a mini vacation last week, which helped my mental game. We went camping and I still got my training in. In fact I was able to do my first OWS of the year and with my full sleeve wetsuit. So on Tuesday I swam with the local tri group and we did the August 70.3 swim portion, which is a river swim and the current pretty much floats you down. I don't know what my problem was but I had to stop several times to catch my breath.....WTF I have been swimming that distance and more in the pool non-stop so why was I running out of steam on a 1.2 mile swim??!!! I was very frustrated with my swim. Then on Friday I was finally invited to swim with the local triathletes in the area in the lake. Once again I put on the full sleeve wetsuit and attempted a 3000 yard swim. Since we swim a triangle and have to do multiple laps I was just shy of 3000 but I swam the entire distance without stopping or having to do the breast stroke. Not sure what the difference there was but that helped my confidence level.

This past weekend I finally got to 72 miles on the bike and 15 miles on the run and I was still alive to talk about it versus what happen to me 2 weeks ago when I attempted the same distances and had a complete meltdown. I am worried that I don't have enough weeks left to get the time I need on the bike. I have my 70.3 on the 29th (in 13 days) and 8 weeks till IMAZ. As someone put it we really have 5 weeks left till we start tapering. Where did the time go???

I just made the reservation to get my bike transported to AZ, since we are flying I had to find a way to get the bike there. Has anyone used TriBike Transport? I have to drop the bike off at a bike shop about 90 minutes away and more then 2 weeks before I leave to allow TBT to transport it for me. I almost need to make a schedule of everything I need to do before then to get ready. Lesson learned here is to race where you can drive as coordinating everything is giving me a headache and I still have how many weeks left?!

Okay, I am done venting for the moment.
Kathy (KTC)
2013-09-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4745108

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
KC - for a home gym set up I'd start with a bench and some free weights, dumbbells, bars, etc., a fitness ball for core & stability work and a Bosu also for core & stability work. You can add a chin up bar or lat machine later, then you'll have plenty for a really good workout.
2013-09-17 10:18 AM
in reply to: Lou_70

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I have the same problem. I am really bad about running off the bike way too fast. I have to force myself to watch my Garmin constantly and not go by feel because I usually feel like I am going very slow.

Originally posted by Lou_70

My current issue is I am starting all my runs too fast.. Too fast for me is 10 minute first mile pace.

I should be doing a 11:30 first mile and speeding up they rest of them to about 11:00. I am constantly burning myself out halfway through my runs no matter te distance over 5 miles.

Any suggestions on keeping a slow beginning pace? I hate having to walk because once I walk once I keep doing it more and more

Thanks!!

2013-09-19 7:31 AM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I'm not sure if any of you saw this so I am posting it. It made for a good laugh. This is an awesome transition set up. I sure hope this person is close to an outlet or brought a long extension cord.

(great transition set up.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
great transition set up.jpg (35KB - 18 downloads)
2013-09-19 9:20 AM

Orlando
Well Wednesdays are my LONG run days, so I got up.. got all pumped up and got all my necessary nutrition. Gave my wife a kiss and said "see you in 13 miles". Walked outside to a HUGE storm I never noticed... so I was bumed..

I ended up running the entire 13 miles at the YMCA on a Treadmill..... needless to say that was an experience I care not do relive.

2013-09-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

This seems like a great set up. I use the exercise bands instead of free weights just to save space. We also have a spin bike which makes indoor riding a little easier than on the trainer, even if it is a different feel from the race bike. But I like this set up, we're moving in a few weeks so maybe this will be what our basement becomes. Thanks for sharing.

In other news, I've run like a mile since my race almost two weeks ago. Need to get back at it starting today if I'm going to attempt this HM in a month.
2013-09-20 7:16 AM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Regular
Finished my last tri this past weekend; Lake Geneva sprint. It is kind of sad for the season to end I need to write a summary of the year, so I can learn from my experiences and build on my success...

I have signed up for a half-marathon in Las Vegas in November I had intentions of doing HIM next year, so getting my first half marathon done this year I thought would be a good idea.

Here is my race log: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I cut over 8 minutes off my time from last year! Most of it was on the bike. I was 3rd of 57 coming out of the water!! My time, 1:20:34, would have put me on the podium last year, but was good for 8th of 57 this year. A lot of good cyclists in my age group this year. Nice way to end the year...likely my best swim and bike of the year!

Todd
2013-09-20 7:21 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

Orlando
Great results! Definate huge improvement in the bike and your already flying on the run!

2013-09-24 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Team!

My first year of the season is this Sunday, ( I know that sounds weird as most of you are finish for the season or close to it) and the pre-race nerves are kicking in. I am freaking out but trying to not show it. I guess I will feel better if I would start getting things ready for the race since I like to pace ahead of time and not last minute.

Another reason why I am freaking out is that the roads are not in the best of shape, lots of potholes and we tried getting them to fix them but there is only so much you can do and they are right near the beginning of the race and it gets crazy. You pretty much draft the first 5 miles as there is no way not too with that many people and with that many people and potholes I am freaking out. I know breathe! This is the largest 70.3 Ironman race and there will be lots of traffic. My wave doesn't go off till an hour after the pros and there are still people that will go 45 minutes after me.

Breathe, I will get through this. Okay I done stressing at the moment.

Lou - good luck with your run this weekend.

Kathy (KTC)
2013-09-24 9:48 AM

Orlando
Best of luck Kathy!

Actually my run is next Saturday I put the wrong date in

I have I fix that

2013-09-24 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
That is too funny! Thanks for sharing that.
ann
2013-09-24 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Ugh!! That is the worst Lou. You have a strong mental focus. I have a rule to never run more than 6 miles on the dread mill ,ever!! Good for you for getting it done!!
ann
2013-09-25 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Good Luck Kathy! You will do great!

Looking forward!

Todd
2013-09-30 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Congratulations to all those that raced this weekend. I know you did great because this group is filled with AWESOME people.
2013-10-01 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Everyone,

Had a great HIM Sunday, had some things fall into place and others fell apart, and will write up my race report later. Now I can fully focus on IMAZ which is in 7 weeks, YIKES!

Kathy (KTC)

2013-10-01 6:57 PM

Orlando
Awesome!

Can't wait to read it I am sure you rocked the race !!

2013-10-02 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys - just checking in. Sorry I have not been around but I had a minor burnout meltdown between work, family and training. Work got crazy busy and I really have had to focus most of my energy on that and then squeeze in my training runs between that. I just don't remember being htis busy in a long time.

Chicago Marathon is next Sunday and I think I am ready. Did my 22 miler two weeks ago at a 9:35 pace and actually felt great after. My just get out and start running pace is automatically at 9:00/miles so I think the speed work, tempo and long runs have paid off (hopefully)

Hope everyone is doing good and enjoying a little down time as we come to the end of the season (except for you KTC!)
2013-10-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tmoran80

Hey guys - just checking in. Sorry I have not been around but I had a minor burnout meltdown between work, family and training. Work got crazy busy and I really have had to focus most of my energy on that and then squeeze in my training runs between that. I just don't remember being htis busy in a long time.

Chicago Marathon is next Sunday and I think I am ready. Did my 22 miler two weeks ago at a 9:35 pace and actually felt great after. My just get out and start running pace is automatically at 9:00/miles so I think the speed work, tempo and long runs have paid off (hopefully)

Hope everyone is doing good and enjoying a little down time as we come to the end of the season (except for you KTC!)

Nice work, Tim! I will be out there cheering you on!

Todd
2013-10-02 7:06 PM

User image

Regular
Ups and Downs...

I received this email today...

"Hi Todd,
Congratulations! You've qualified for the 2014 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships in Milwaukee, WI. Below is your VIP registration link to register for the event, which takes place August 9, 2014"

On a down note, I reinjured my calf....I signed up for a late season half-marathon (las vegas) and reinjured my same calf (from spring training for half marathon). I am going to have to reevaluate why this keeps happening. I have been doing nothing but easy runs (zone 2); even on the shorter distances....

Todd
2013-10-03 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats on qualifying that is awesome!

Not sure what to say about the calf - maybe really just rest it up this winter?

Originally posted by ettringite23

Ups and Downs...

"Hi Todd,
Congratulations! You've qualified for the 2014 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships in Milwaukee, WI. Below is your VIP registration link to register for the event, which takes place August 9, 2014"

On a down note, I reinjured my calf....I signed up for a late season half-marathon (las vegas) and reinjured my same calf (from spring training for half marathon). I am going to have to reevaluate why this keeps happening. I have been doing nothing but easy runs (zone 2); even on the shorter distances....

Todd

2013-10-03 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
How awesome is that?! Congratulations Todd!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rest that calf and see if that helps.

Originally posted by ettringite23

Ups and Downs...

"Hi Todd,

Todd
2013-10-03 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Race report is complete. Here is the link......I hope

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=238...

It was my "B" race and with AZ within 7 weeks I didn't want to risk getting injury or hurt so I took it easy and still managed to cut my time by 34 minutes from 2 years ago. Thinking I might have to do this race again and make it my "A" race so that I can get under 6 hours.
2013-10-04 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Besides KTC doing IMAZ, who else still has races this year?

My A race was a month ago. It is hard to believe I spent a year training to do that race and now it is over. I wasn't sure how I would feel after it so I didn't schedule anything else for the year. Now I am sitting around living through all of you! Oh how I wish I could race every week ($ and physical ability hold me back from doing that).
2013-10-09 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Hi Team,

sorry I've been abscent for a bit, but I've been following as much as I could everyone's progress.

KTC - nice job on the 70.3, for some reason I couldn't view your race report.

Tim - good luck for your marathon this weekend. I am sure you will meet your goals and break the 4 hour moz.

KC - how are the house renovations going?

Michelle - while you guys are winding down for the season I am just entering mine. Although my winter preparation hasn't gone as planned so I probably wont be racing until early next year, say Feb. My 'A' race is Ironman Australia on the 5th May and I've just started week 1 of my 30 week plan. It will be my first ironman event and excited and terrified are the words that come to mind! Actually if I get to the start line it will be a miracle, but I'm determined to get there miracle or not.

anyway, I wish everyone well as you enter your winter. I'll try and send some heat your way!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28