BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-05-16 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED

This group has been together for about 4 years and is constantly growing and evolving!  We have helped people get to the start line of their first sprint and also helped them through their journey of an Ironman summer.  We all truly love this sport and enjoy sharing our knowledge as well as always learning from new people. We welcome members of all levels! "RFP" stands for RELENTLESS FORWARD PROGRESS which is our motto we race by!

STORY: I have always been a runner since I was a kid (cross country, track, etc...)  I did my first marathon (Chicago 91') as a Junior in high school.  Never was fast but just enjoyed the challenge of pushing myself.  Ever since I was little kid I would watch Ironman on NBC and want to do it but never really "believed" I could.  During college, post college and first few years of marriage my fitness consisted of 12 oz. curls and I was the heaviest I have ever been.  When we had our first child (2004) I made a vow that I would not be one of those out of shape dads who cannot do anything with their kids and I signed up for the Chicago Marathon 2008.  I did it again in 2009 but was plagued with injuries.  I decide it was time for Triathlons.  Learned (and still learning) how to swim and bike and I have been addicted ever since. I have completed 3 HIM's (Branson & Racine 2X), multiple triathlons and just recently completed Ironman Wisconsin on September 9, 2012.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 kids (Evan 8, Sophia 5, Myles 1

CURRENT TRAINING: I am going to use the Fink IronFit again and apply it to my 70.3 training

2013 RACES: This year I plan on doing the Galena Triathlon, Rockford Olympic Tri, Racine 70.3, Oshkosh Olympic, maybe Chicago Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started training again in 2008 I had reached 200 lbs.  Since then I have maintained my weight around 165-170 just from consistent training.  My problem is usually I don't eat enough-haha

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: While I may not be the most experienced triathlete I can truly say that I have immersed myself into this lifestyle and have learned a great amount of info and still enjoy learning something new each day.  I will do my best to help answer any questions or if I don't know the answer I surely will get it for you.  Time management is something that each triathlete needs to focus on to be successful and that is something that I have had to deal with over the past three years with 3 kids, full time job, part time job playing in a successful Chicago cover band and fitting in my half and full Ironman training.  But most of all I hope to be able to inspire and drive people to stay at this sport and be as successful at reaching whatever goals they have laid out.

Edited by tmoran80 2013-06-04 9:47 AM

2013-05-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

New user

Subject: RE: TEAM RFP
Was wondering if I can join your group? I'm new and have never done a triathlon. I am planning for an Olympic in August and maybe a sprint before then. I just purchased my first road bike and have been swimming for about a month. I just started keeping training logs on here. My main area of focus will be swimming bc that's my weakest. Thanks for your consideration!
2013-05-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Joe - welcome to the group. Sounds like you ar eonthe right track and I think you will learn a whole bunch with this group. When you get a chance reply with you background a little bit about you so we can get to know you.

Originally posted by SouthFLJoe

Was wondering if I can join your group? I'm new and have never done a triathlon. I am planning for an Olympic in August and maybe a sprint before then. I just purchased my first road bike and have been swimming for about a month. I just started keeping training logs on here. My main area of focus will be swimming bc that's my weakest. Thanks for your consideration!

Edited by tmoran80 2013-05-20 11:33 AM
2013-05-20 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
So I had my first race of the season this weekend. Fairly happy with the results. Finished top in top 30% overall so I was also happy with that. Here is my race report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2013-05-20 10:46 AM

User image

Count me in for another round Tim. Thanks for leading us.
2013-05-20 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Count me in for another year as I need you guys help and support to get me through another IM.

2013-05-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Expert
So Simone brought this up in the other thread but what do you guys think of the new site design? I am really digging it. So much easier to enter in workouts and I just like the whole new feel to it.
2013-05-20 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I usually use my Ipod on BT so I was caught off guard by the new design. I 'think' I like it? I haven't really looked around enough yet. It certainly has a nice fresh look to it.
2013-05-20 10:06 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Expert
Probably would help if I actually put that we were "OPEN"
2013-05-20 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Count me in for another round! Gimping along with my training and hoping to heal quickly! The posterior horn of my meniscus is torn, sprained MCL, and tendinitis in the tendon on the medial side of my left knee. Other than that I'm fine.

New site? Hmmm, taking me awhile to get it figured out. I think they should have put a table out there with "the old way" and "the new way" to do things. The graphics are awfully nice and the site has a fresh look to it.
2013-05-21 2:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP - OPEN
Count me in for another round too! I love the new design! Welcome to the new members, this is an awesome group, Tim is an awesome mentor and a lot of folks have a lot of experience to drawn upon and help new comers with! I will post my story soon! :D Can't help but say, YAY! I'm starting the new group as an Ironman in training!! Woo Hoo!!!! (Happy much?!)

2013-05-21 2:07 AM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Sorry to hear you are still struggling with injury Lori, hope you heal soon and get back to 100% full bore training!!

Originally posted by retiretotri

Count me in for another round! Gimping along with my training and hoping to heal quickly! The posterior horn of my meniscus is torn, sprained MCL, and tendinitis in the tendon on the medial side of my left knee. Other than that I'm fine.

New site? Hmmm, taking me awhile to get it figured out. I think they should have put a table out there with "the old way" and "the new way" to do things. The graphics are awfully nice and the site has a fresh look to it.
2013-05-21 9:40 AM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Expert
Wow that really sucks but at least I don't think there is much left to injure with all that What happened to casue all of this? What is the game plan as far as recovering from these. Does the doctor have you not running? Do they think you will be able to heal up for IMWI?

Originally posted by retiretotri
The posterior horn of my meniscus is torn, sprained MCL, and tendinitis in the tendon on the medial side of my left knee. Other than that I'm fine.
2013-05-21 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
So after 4,500 miles I got my first flat while on the road this morning. I was going about 17 mph when it blew and it was a little hectic keeping it under control but I was able to come to a safe stop. I am glad it happened where it happened because I was about 1/4 mile from going down a steep decent that I usually hit over 30 mph. Got the tire changed in 5 minutes and was on my way... Can't believe it took this long to get a flat while riding though.
2013-05-21 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Count me in too!

My first race this last Saturday, the bike leg got cancelled so I ended up doing a 1 mile swim and 10k run. It was all good...just a long training day with a tad bit of speed. Grabbed some beers afterwards and then went kayaking later in the day with more beer to follow after that. Great time all in all.

Happy Training everyone!
2013-05-21 4:10 PM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

User image

Expert
Why would they cancel the bike? Never heard of that. I would have been upset because bike is my strength. I am sure it felt good just to get out there racing again.

Originally posted by WillTriForBeer

Count me in too!

My first race this last Saturday, the bike leg got cancelled so I ended up doing a 1 mile swim and 10k run. It was all good...just a long training day with a tad bit of speed. Grabbed some beers afterwards and then went kayaking later in the day with more beer to follow after that. Great time all in all.

Happy Training everyone!

2013-05-21 10:41 PM

User image

Chicago
Hey Tim,

Thanks for keeping this group going. I would like to be a part of it again.

Sounds like you had a good race last weekend. I missed out but I will tri for it again next year.
2013-05-22 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Gil- thanks - yes it was a good race - logistically kind of a mess bu the weather was great and the course and Galena area are really beautiful. Have you checked out Pleasant Prairie Triathlon, Big Foot Lake Geneva or Rockford triathlon? Those might be good ones to check since you missed Galena.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hey Tim,

Thanks for keeping this group going. I would like to be a part of it again.

Sounds like you had a good race last weekend. I missed out but I will tri for it again next year.

Edited by tmoran80 2013-05-22 10:01 AM
2013-05-22 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Tim,
The company that does the barricades and road closures for the race went bankrupt and closed it's doors about 20 hours before the start of the race. It's the largest company in Colorado that does these kinds of road closures and it really affected many races/events last weekend. I didn't mind cuz whatever I did it would be a PR!

Originally posted by tmoran80

Why would they cancel the bike? Never heard of that. I would have been upset because bike is my strength. I am sure it felt good just to get out there racing again.

Count me in too!

Happy Training everyone!

2013-05-22 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Tim,
The company that does the barricades and road closures for the race went bankrupt and closed it's doors about 20 hours before the start of the race. It's the largest company in Colorado that does these kinds of road closures and it really affected many races/events last weekend. I didn't mind cuz whatever I did it would be a PR!

Count me in too!

Happy Training everyone!

2013-05-22 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
We're leaving bright and early tomorrow for North Dakota to do some hiking, mt biking, and kayaking so I'll be off the boards for a week doing some "cross-training". Enjoy your week/weekend everyone!

2013-05-22 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lori - so sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you recover quickly.

Jen - Wow, company that does the barricades files bankruptcy. That had to hurt area races. Interesting race though, 1 mile swim and a 10k. That really isn't a aquathon then is it?

New Site - I am still learning my way around so I have no opinion just yet.

Tim - one year my husband would get a flat just about every time he rode. We checked the tire each time and never could figure it out what was causing it as the tire itself was fine. We figured that it must have been his weight that was causing it.
2013-05-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Expert
Well I really want to get into a Chicago Marathon start corral this October but I have to qualify by August 26 at a Half Marathon. I have looked at my calendar and the only one that fits my ridiculously busy schedule is June 2. So... I registered today and now have about 10 days to train for a 1/2 marathon and run a sub 1:55. I need to run a 8:50 pace to get into the "D" corral. My current PR at the 13.1 is 1:48 back in 2010 when i was training for Branson 70.3. I think my running is ok but I am worried about leg fatigue since my longest run has been about 5 miles in the past 6 months. Any tips or advice haha...
2013-05-22 6:33 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team. Hope you have room for me again I am so pumped we are continuing - Thanks Tim.

Welcome to everyone and anyone new.

Should I post a bio again? Oh what the hell - here it is:

NAME: Kevin Corriveau KCGOLF

STORY:

I started triathlon late in the summer of 2010 with a tri-a-tri here in South Western Ontario Canada (I am from
Windsor, now live south of Windsor in Amherstburg Ont.) My reasons and story for doing it are varied and complicated and I won’t bore you with more than this - I was looking for a something else to do that would challenge me and keep me busy and I loved it. After a neck injury right after that first tiny taste of triathlon, I knew I wanted more so I set my sights on a busy schedule for the next year – 2011. In 2011 I competed in 6 sprint triathlons, bought my first road bike, started learning how to swim (still a work in progress), joined BT and met some great people in this group. After a great 2011 I took the plunge and did the first and last Ironman New York City in 2012, swam in the Hudson, biked in New Jersey and ran in NYC. Now, I am completely hooked and I am doing my second IM in Quebec in August. Ironman Mont Tremblant.

Just in case you are wondering about the KCGOLF thing - I am a Golf Professional, Class A member of the Professional Golf Association of Canada and teach a full time Business Admin, Professional Golf Management Program at the local college here in town. I grew up in the golf industry and managed golf clubs etc.

FAMILY STATUS:

I am currently in the process of going through a divorce, splitting assets and selling a house - blah, blah, blah - nothing else I think I am ready to share at the moment. UPDATE ALERT - HOUSE IS SOLD AND I HAVE BOUGHT ANOTHER Going to be a busy month of June - I get the new place July 5th so lots and lots to do.

CURRENT TRAINING: About 90 days until my next IM.

2013 RACES: A race - as stated above Ironman Mont Tremblant

WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OUT OF THIS GROUP:

I am looking for what I have always received from this group - support, friendship, understanding, humour, knowledge, motivation and a good kick in the a$$ when I need it or when you think I am starting to sound like I need it and I will offer the same thing in return.

Welcome back team RFP so happy to be along for another ride.

2013-05-22 6:34 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Tim - no worries - you will smash it!
KC

Well I really want to get into a Chicago Marathon start corral this October but I have to qualify by August 26 at a Half Marathon. I have looked at my calendar and the only one that fits my ridiculously busy schedule is June 2. So... I registered today and now have about 10 days to train for a 1/2 marathon and run a sub 1:55. I need to run a 8:50 pace to get into the "D" corral. My current PR at the 13.1 is 1:48 back in 2010 when i was training for Branson 70.3. I think my running is ok but I am worried about leg fatigue since my longest run has been about 5 miles in the past 6 months. Any tips or advice haha...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28