General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting runs on the runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-05-16 4:01 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Getting runs on the runs
I seem to be having a issue during my long runs, i get alot of gurgling in my stomach which causes alot of pain and eventually leads to "runs". I really don't want to be infamous and have a picture that says "dedication" during ironman. I take in a GU every 45 mins, so only 2-3 per run. I also take in water as i get thirsty. I have no issues with Gu on bike rides, could it be possible that they have a different effect on the run?

2013-05-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4745892

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Getting runs on the runs

dkahns51 - 2013-05-16 4:01 PM I seem to be having a issue during my long runs, i get alot of gurgling in my stomach which causes alot of pain and eventually leads to "runs". I really don't want to be infamous and have a picture that says "dedication" during ironman. I take in a GU every 45 mins, so only 2-3 per run. I also take in water as i get thirsty. I have no issues with Gu on bike rides, could it be possible that they have a different effect on the run?

Absolutely. If I were you, I would just try some different things and see what works for you. Be sure to take into account what you consume beforehand as well, not just during the actual workout.

2013-05-16 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I can pretty much eat anything while riding, but for a run, I'm pretty much liquid only, and I have to give myself quite some time between solid food and a run, or I get the same thing. Been that way for 28 years.
2013-05-16 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

On long runs I will bring 1 maybe 2 gus with me and focus on hydration.  Any more than that and I seem to experience the same thing.  I never have the same problem on my bike though.  However, if I don't get a chance to take a BM before my long run I know for certain that turtle will be poking his head out of his shell at some point during the run. 

2013-05-16 4:25 PM

Veteran
Tennessee
Never trust a fart while running!
2013-05-16 4:26 PM

User image

Spokane
I did have some pizza last night.. maybe that grease could of caused problems. I will try and stick to liquids during the run, but i get so hungry when im running. I always have a BM before any run or bike

2013-05-16 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4745929

User image

Spokane

iruptacopula - 2013-05-16 2:25 PM Never trust a fart while running!

Thats why i always stop and fart... safety first.

2013-05-16 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4745932

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
dkahns51 - 2013-05-16 4:26 PM

Classic.  My secretary just asked me if "I was alright" from laughing.  this made me think of a time I was running a 10 mile race on  an out and back at of course at the turnaround point I felt gassy.  Started to let a little gas out and quickly realized I was about ready to SHT myself.  There's nothing quite like that feeling in a race, with no bathrooms, running for 5 miles squeezing your cheeks together. 

On a positivie note, it always seems like those BM's just kind of fall out of you on the toilet.    (Did I take it too far?)

2013-05-16 4:33 PM

New user
Pizza will get me every time! Just the other day as a matter of fact, had to run to the golf course locker rooms about a mile out of town. That could have been ugly....
2013-05-16 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4745929

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

iruptacopula - 2013-05-16 3:25 PM Never trust a fart while running!

LMAO.  THIS is my new favorite quote!

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-05-16 4:38 PM
2013-05-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4745936

User image

Regular
LHOTP
siouxcityhawk - 2013-05-16 4:31 PM

Classic.  My secretary just asked me if "I was alright" from laughing.  this made me think of a time I was running a 10 mile race on  an out and back at of course at the turnaround point I felt gassy.  Started to let a little gas out and quickly realized I was about ready to SHT myself.  There's nothing quite like that feeling in a race, with no bathrooms, running for 5 miles squeezing your cheeks together. 

On a positivie note, it always seems like those BM's just kind of fall out of you on the toilet.    (Did I take it too far?)

Nah, dude, it's all good. We understand. What's a little sht talk amongst friends?

2013-05-16 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I used to have issues until I figured out it was the bananas.  I quit eating them and never had another problem.

.........Let's just say that if there weren't a woods and leaves close by it might have been a sticky finish.  Since that time I carry some wipes in my hydration belt for all of my long runs now.

2013-05-16 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I remember posting something like this years ago and someone mentioned that running is a "rhythmic, compacting motion."  I  used to run after work, and always ate tons of vegetables at work and learned to plan my running route around a mid-run bathroom stop.  After about 6 weeks though my body kind of readjusted itself and, uh, got things out of the way before I left work.
2013-05-16 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4746075

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was on a long run on a multi use trail when it hit.  I'm telling you, I can barely recall such a glorious site as that porta potty.  I swear, there was a sun beam pointing on it and the singing of angles in the background...

I tend to not be able to eat much on runs.  I drink all my calories.  If I don't have lower gi issues, I just have the burps with gu and other stuff.  HOWEVER, I tend to eat like a pig on the IM portion of a run and for some reason, then and only then, does food work.  Probably becuase it's more of a jog or run/walk at that point?

Try to go before going out and avoid any food before you start unless it's pretty bland/basic.  Most of my runs are after work, but before dinner.  So 4-5 hours after eating any significant meal.

2013-05-16 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS

instead of gu's on runs i eat cliff bars. they are a little bulky but i dont have any trouble with the runs

2013-05-16 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4745930

User image

Seattle

dkahns51 - 2013-05-16 4:26 PM I did have some pizza last night.. maybe that grease could of caused problems. I will try and stick to liquids during the run, but i get so hungry when im running. I always have a BM before any run or bike

Oh, you don't just have to do liquids. You can experiment with different solids and even different brands of gels. Everyone is different so it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Also, are you new to eating and running? Your body just may need a little time adjusting. 

2013-05-16 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4745947

User image

Seattle
switch - 2013-05-16 4:47 PM
siouxcityhawk - 2013-05-16 4:31 PM

Nah, dude, it's all good. We understand. What's a little sht talk amongst friends?

Amen. Smile

2013-05-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4746146

User image

Elite

Make sure you hydrate the day before...I found every time I had this issue it was due to not enough water before the run.  During I could go without quite happily.

Never an issue on race day as there are porta potties everywhere but training runs can be difficult!

One trick that Jeff Galloway mentioned, go for a 1-2km warm up finish back at your house, you'll be ready for business then can go out and enjoy your run.

I have a friend who did the HM in Melbourne couple of years back - happily farting away the last ten km or so....only later did she realise she had sharted.  Sh*t happens.

2013-05-16 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
How often has it happend? It may not be the GU it could just be what you ate or drank the night before (a couple beers does it to me everytime). Pretty sure everybody's been there. I normally only run with water on longer runs (10+ miles) and only use nutrition if I have a race coming up to get my body used to it (to cheap to use Infinit on every workout) but have emergency bailouts just about every 2 miles just in case.
2013-05-16 8:53 PM

Running early mornings can be hazardous for me.  If I don't get up early enough and just head out, I can run into problems.  Also if I don't eat right, pizza, burritos...etc.., there can be dire consequences.  I have a pretty "short fuse" so to speak, and once things are in motion, I have to act fast.  Here is a short guide based on my experiences:

First, bring an emergency bag.  A produce bag can work, but a dark bag works better, like a black one from a liquor store, since it can be used as a container in an absolute emergency where you cant leave "evidence". 

Throw a few wet wipes in there, then throw in a few more.  If you don't use them, you may need to replace them periodically as they will dry out, even when packaged individually.

Second, If you think you may have issues before you head out, pick a good route.  Something wooded, or even better, something with porta-potties or actual restrooms along the way (parks are good for this).  Also, a few local warm up laps are recommended.

Third, never, and I repeat, never, think you can "make it," because one day, you wont. Ask yourself, "will this get me arrested."  If the answer is "probably not," then go for it. 

There is one unfortunate by-product of this philosophy.  For me at least, once I know that "relief" is at hand, things pretty much go to Defcon 5, and I am in a situation where I can't even properly close a door.  Now, because of all of my outdoor experiences, relief is pretty much always at hand, thus the "short fuse" that I mentioned earlier. 

Good luck, and stay safe. 

2013-05-17 12:51 AM
in reply to: #4746245

User image

Master
ImSore - 2013-05-16 6:53 PM

Running early mornings can be hazardous for me.  If I don't get up early enough and just head out, I can run into problems.  Also if I don't eat right, pizza, burritos...etc.., there can be dire consequences.  I have a pretty "short fuse" so to speak, and once things are in motion, I have to act fast.  Here is a short guide based on my experiences:

First, bring an emergency bag.  A produce bag can work, but a dark bag works better, like a black one from a liquor store, since it can be used as a container in an absolute emergency where you cant leave "evidence". 

Throw a few wet wipes in there, then throw in a few more.  If you don't use them, you may need to replace them periodically as they will dry out, even when packaged individually.

Second, If you think you may have issues before you head out, pick a good route.  Something wooded, or even better, something with porta-potties or actual restrooms along the way (parks are good for this).  Also, a few local warm up laps are recommended.

Third, never, and I repeat, never, think you can "make it," because one day, you wont. Ask yourself, "will this get me arrested."  If the answer is "probably not," then go for it. 

There is one unfortunate by-product of this philosophy.  For me at least, once I know that "relief" is at hand, things pretty much go to Defcon 5, and I am in a situation where I can't even properly close a door.  Now, because of all of my outdoor experiences, relief is pretty much always at hand, thus the "short fuse" that I mentioned earlier. 

Good luck, and stay safe. 

LMAO!  Man, why is that?  That happens to me when I have hydrated too well.  The minute the key goes in the door, it's like my bladder says 'Oh great, we're good to go".  I gotta move the toilet to the front hallway Laughing

2013-05-17 8:03 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS

Is it wrong that between my laughing at all the posts in this thread it has become my favorite thread on BT currently? 

Back on topic though, just try different stuff out as far as eating is concerned. Some people will learn to build up an iron stomach (and even milk won't be a bad choice) and others can't handle much. I know time of day and intensity of training can affect me negatively. I don't typically eat anything during run workouts and if I start getting up real early doing speedwork that my body isn't used to then I'll need to have a bathroom on hand to take an extra rest interval in between reps... Wink

2013-05-17 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I find it really matters what I eat beforehand. Except for dairy, I don't have any major food intolerances, but the list of what I can't eat within a few hours of a run, esp. a speed workout or race, is quite long. I'm assuming others may have similar culprits--wheat, chocolate, bananas, apples, anything with a lot of fat or fiber. Normally these don't cause a problem if eaten before biking or swimming, only running. If I need to eat within a few hours of running, I stick to an oat or rice-based energy bar, or oatmeal. Also, if you're doing a morning run, if you can get up a little earlier, a cup of coffee may help you clear things out before you hit the road.
2013-05-17 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

I'd experiment with different foods and what you put in your stomach in the hours leading up to your long runs. One thing that I've found that works well for me is eating a bowl of gluten free oatmeal before each long run or race. I don't have anything that prevents me from eating gluten in my daily life, but it seems to help me to eat a gluten free meal before a long workout. Since I began doing this I've never encountered any GI issues. Good piece of mind.

Again experiment with different things. What works for one person may not for another.

2013-05-17 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Everyone's system reacts differently, but what's worked for me is to cut down the fiber a day or two before a big race or planned long run.

Maybe I take too much fiber, but I've found it just keeps things moving better and more predictably for me, as I approach 50.  I typically have a big bowl of Fiber One original for breakfast, along with whatever else I munch on.

1 cup of Fiber One original is two servings, which is 114% of the RDA for dietary fiber.

OOPS: I think I see why this is a problem; it's all Insoluble!  That explains it's effectiveness!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting runs on the runs Rss Feed  

of 1