General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training during travel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-16 6:04 PM

Subject: Training during travel

I'm training for my first triathlon, but I have a job that requires a lot of overseas travel (just about to leave on my third trip in three months). Unfortunately, I travel to places that don't generally have anything in the way of training facilities, other than the hotel workout room, which can be hit or miss. 

I'd love to hear how all you wonderful experienced people deal with travel when you're trying to train for a race - I don't want to end up losing any fitness I may have gained, but I'm not optimistic about my options for workouts.

2013-05-16 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4746033

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Training during travel
I try to shift training around to do large builds when at home leading up to vacation, then vacation is a recovery period where the athlete (or myself) does whatever the location and schedule allow.  This might only be running, or it could be a stationary bike and treadmill in a hotel fitness room, or whatever.  Whenever vacation ends, the athlete is fresh and ready to resume a greater training volume again.
2013-05-16 8:47 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Nixe - 2013-05-16 7:04 PM

I'm training for my first triathlon, but I have a job that requires a lot of overseas travel (just about to leave on my third trip in three months). Unfortunately, I travel to places that don't generally have anything in the way of training facilities, other than the hotel workout room, which can be hit or miss. 

I'd love to hear how all you wonderful experienced people deal with travel when you're trying to train for a race - I don't want to end up losing any fitness I may have gained, but I'm not optimistic about my options for workouts.

Frequent travel for work means you have to plan a bit and get better organized. My work travel was mostly in EU and occasionally Asia. I found that the typical business hotels in EU do not have much in the way of fitness centers. Running, however, is easy and can be done almost everywhere. I used running as my anti-jetlag tool while traveling for work. I ran the morning I arrived in EU and would try to run every morning before work. I'm not traveling now but spent years going back and forth between the US and EU...usually several times a month. Pools are often accessible but take a bit more planning. Biking just didn't happen for me during work travel.  Good luck.  

2013-05-16 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I do almost all of my travel in the US, I go to Canada, Mexico and South America about once every year.  I have been averaging eight nights a month in a hotel this year.  

I usually run outside in the early mornings before meetings.  IMO running when out of town is the best use for a Garmin, it makes it very easy to do out and back runs at any distance.  Every once and a while I stay at a hotel that has a descent spin bike and get in a one hour spin in the evening.

2013-05-17 2:38 AM

Three suggestions:

1. Book a hotel with at least a 15-20 meter pool.  Shouldn't be too hard to find with google.  A possible setback would be that due to your business/meetings, you're restricted to hotels located at the airport, which would limit your options.  15-20 meters obviously isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

2. Speak with the concierge about good/safe places to run in the hotel's neighborhood.

3.  Do some core work in the hotel gym.

2013-05-17 9:34 AM

User image

New user

This year I have traveled appx. 80% of the time, so in a similar boat.  What i have found is that running is easy to fit in but that biking has to wait until the weekends or when i get back home.  Some hotels have spin bikes but most don't.  Swimming can be a challenge but look on the internet and sometimes you can find locals pools or clubs that will let you join for a day.  The main thing i have found is to at least keep the running in place and you don't lose too much but you will need to hit the bike fairly hard when you get home or on the weekend.

2013-05-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: Gene67

User image

Miami
I also travel a lot for business (usually I'm out of town from Monday to Thursday or from Tuesday to Friday). As many have said, I try to keep my running volume high while I'm out and hit the bike and the swim when I get back.

I usually stay at hotels near the airports, which limits pool acces both at the hotel and near it. They rarely have decent spinning bikes, so running is all I can do. Although my main problem is to actually go out and work out, I feel demotivated and tired during my trips.
2013-05-17 10:09 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

I'm on the road around 1/3 of the time but usually to a handful of places. Looking ahead of time I found a community pool (25y) 5 minutes from the hotel and after talking to the front desk it turned out that the hotel had a pass to the local Golds gym so I was able to get in a couple spin classes (better than nothing) including a double class which got me 2.5 hours on the bike.

Good luck, it's hard but can be done.
2013-05-22 11:47 PM
in reply to: tri.bob

Thanks for all the suggestions - I like the idea of increasing my volume before my trips and using the trip as a recovery period. Unfortunately, I don't get to choose where I stay, but I just discovered my hotel has a small pool with a swim tether. Go figure!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training during travel Rss Feed