Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Really "adventure" races...really?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-21 12:35 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Subject: RE: Really "adventure" races...really?!?!
5k? Having fun?? Losers! Obviously they can't swim or bike or they'd do a REAL race .... Like a sprint tri! Thank god I am a cool triathlete!

/sarcasm

2013-05-21 12:48 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by ChrisM

5k? Having fun?? Losers! Obviously they can't swim or bike or they'd do a REAL race .... Like a sprint tri! Thank god I am a cool triathlete!

/sarcasm

Why does it have to follow that if someone thinks the "tough Mudder" is dumb then it must be because they think triathlon is cool? When my friends start talking about how stupid I am for still doing tirathlons I tend to agree with them......they certainly don't think it's cool. I couldn't even come up with a good reason for taking the time I do every week to workout......I absolutely don't need to spend that much time to stay in decent shape.

Maybe what I need is new friends......you know.....some cool triathletes! /sarcasm
2013-05-21 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

sarcasm

the old fashioned coding works.  The sarc button?  Not so much.

Edited by Kido 2013-05-21 1:05 PM
2013-05-21 3:58 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Originally posted by Kido

sarcasm

I was on an iphone. can hardly figure this new site out on a desktop, much less on a phone
2013-05-21 4:05 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by Kido

sarcasm

I was on an iphone. can hardly figure this new site out on a desktop, much less on a phone

I'm too scurt to try and open this up on my droid or Ipad.  Or even try the app.  Good think I'm still on my lazy streak (6 months and counting), so no need to post any workouts.

2013-05-21 4:10 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

User image

Originally posted by Teejaay It's a run. An event. Not a race. You probably wouldnt do it just to run a 5k. I myself would never do a themed event by myself or to get a serious workout or good time. Most people do those things in groups ...for a fun social time activity. If you enter you know (and obviously want) to get blasted with color. I wouldn't wear my good running gear or my good sunglasses or watch or anything that would get trashed. (I meant this as reply Russ ...I must of hit the wrong button ...duh)

I'm anti-social, so that's probably why I don't get it.  Wink

For the record, I won't do another 5K either, unless it's for my kid's school.  I've never had a good race at one.  I've been injured, DQ'ed, lost a 1st in AG because the RD doesn't understand age groups, and pushed a jogging stroller through one that wasn't advertised as a trail run, but was. 

I've got a convenient 5K loop in my neighborhood that I can run for free and not lose a chunk of my shin on a piece of rebar.

2013-05-21 4:13 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Originally posted by rick4657
Originally posted by RussTKD My only beef with them is they look like a great way to tear up a knee or ankle. And I really don't want to get injured. It would take me away from training for events that do matter to me.
Exactly. In the book "I am an Ironman" one of the women whose training the author followed tore her ACL by falling off a wall at one of these Adventure Races. All of the training that she did for IM AZ was over one month before the race because of the injury.

Can we multi-quote here? 

I've got some buddies from college who are doing a series of these adventure races this October and they want me to join in.  But I'm registered for the Dopey Challenge, which wasn't cheap, nor will the accompanying travel be.  I'd hate to pop an ACL or achilles, lose the money for the race, go to Disney on crutches, and have all the rehab to go along with it.

2013-05-21 4:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by ChrisM 5k? Having fun?? Losers! Obviously they can't swim or bike or they'd do a REAL race .... Like a sprint tri! Thank god I am a cool triathlete!

/sarcasm

Why does it have to follow that if someone thinks the "tough Mudder" is dumb then it must be because they think triathlon is cool? When my friends start talking about how stupid I am for still doing tirathlons I tend to agree with them......they certainly don't think it's cool. I couldn't even come up with a good reason for taking the time I do every week to workout......I absolutely don't need to spend that much time to stay in decent shape. Maybe what I need is new friends......you know.....some cool triathletes! /sarcasm

I don't think you should lump us in with your social situation. My friends could care less about the time I take each week to workout.. they don't even know. 

Your friends talk that way to you because you prolly deserve a bit of smack. Tongue out

2013-05-21 5:39 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by RussTKD My only beef with them is they look like a great way to tear up a knee or ankle. And I really don't want to get injured. It would take me away from training for events that do matter to me.

+1, They look dangerous and not at all worth the risk.  I must officially be old.

This is me too - injury-fest.
I.am.old.
2013-05-21 5:49 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Master
I'm laughing at myself about doing dangerous things. I've done some pretty crazy things. Heck, swimming in our waters is crazy, but I've come out fine, and then I get injured doing stuff like carrying a laundry basket in heels, and running to answer a phone.
2013-05-21 9:18 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Oops DP - something's awry with BT tonight. At least over here.

Edited by lisac957 2013-05-21 9:19 PM

2013-05-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Blanda I'm laughing at myself about doing dangerous things. I've done some pretty crazy things. Heck, swimming in our waters is crazy, but I've come out fine, and then I get injured doing stuff like carrying a laundry basket in heels, and running to answer a phone.

THIS is me.
I've tripped numerous times over my own two feet while on a "shake it out" run - once the day before an Ironman. I've dropped a hairbrush on my pinky toe just right so that it swelled up and turned purple. And last month I tripped over a paint can in the basement, doing laundry, and sliced open my big toe rendering me with no training for a week.

There's more - that's just what I can recall from the past year or so.

Just call me "grace."  

2013-05-21 9:27 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by KateTri1
Originally posted by ChrisM 5k? Having fun?? Losers! Obviously they can't swim or bike or they'd do a REAL race .... Like a sprint tri! Thank god I am a cool triathlete!

/sarcasm

Why does it have to follow that if someone thinks the "tough Mudder" is dumb then it must be because they think triathlon is cool? When my friends start talking about how stupid I am for still doing tirathlons I tend to agree with them......they certainly don't think it's cool. I couldn't even come up with a good reason for taking the time I do every week to workout......I absolutely don't need to spend that much time to stay in decent shape. Maybe what I need is new friends......you know.....some cool triathletes! /sarcasm

I don't think you should lump us in with your social situation. My friends could care less about the time I take each week to workout.. they don't even know. 

Your friends talk that way to you because you prolly deserve a bit of smack. Tongue out

I'm afraid that the daily "smackfest" I stay immersed in around my friends would fry a large part of this crew.  Laughing  But you're right.....it's all good.

2013-05-22 8:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Originally posted by KateTri1

/sarcasm

I'm afraid that the daily "smackfest" I stay immersed in around my friends would fry a large part of this crew.  Laughing  But you're right.....it's all good.

I am sure you can dish it as well as you take it hot rod tri-man.

2013-05-22 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I will not do another 5k unless its one of these adventure races. I never done one but a zombie 5k might be fun. I stick to something easier like a marathon.

Edit: Ok I will if its running down a run way at O'hare airport or something else that one can not normally do. Also 5ks after I swim and bike are OK though I try to avoid those too.

Edited by chirunner134 2013-05-22 9:42 AM
2013-05-22 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Blanda I'm laughing at myself about doing dangerous things. I've done some pretty crazy things. Heck, swimming in our waters is crazy, but I've come out fine, and then I get injured doing stuff like carrying a laundry basket in heels, and running to answer a phone.

THIS is me.
I've tripped numerous times over my own two feet while on a "shake it out" run - once the day before an Ironman. I've dropped a hairbrush on my pinky toe just right so that it swelled up and turned purple. And last month I tripped over a paint can in the basement, doing laundry, and sliced open my big toe rendering me with no training for a week.

There's more - that's just what I can recall from the past year or so.

Just call me "grace."  

Haha! I'm happy to know I'm not alone. Add rolling down a hill I slipped on after playing goal keeper in a game of beach soccer. Not a single injury after a kabillion rocket shots at me, but LOL me walking down a hill! :D

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-22 3:34 PM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Really "adventure" races...really?!?! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

When spelling is really, really important....

Started by WelshinPhilly
Views: 1689 Posts: 22

2010-02-07 7:42 PM BbMoozer

Facebook and this really really annoys me Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 2600 Posts: 50

2010-02-04 7:06 AM Nathanm74

One of my co-workers is really, really, really evil

Started by Spokes
Views: 813 Posts: 8

2007-08-15 5:50 PM coachese

The Best Way To Get Really Really Drunk Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Spokes
Views: 3523 Posts: 93

2006-10-23 9:07 AM spokes

I think this really, really hurt (Pic Link)

Started by Spokes
Views: 785 Posts: 17

2006-08-22 12:34 PM Chap
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!