Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Really "adventure" races...really?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-18 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: Really "adventure" races...really?!?!

DT shared with me that Muddy Buddy is finally coming to Seattle. I did that race in Chicago-land a few years ago and had a lot of fun. (Shout out to TeddieMao!!) Unfortunately, I didn't think much of it because it's 11 days after my due date.

My curiosity got to me and I thought I'd still see what was going on...it is being held at a state park, which I just can't imagine! I've done Muddy Buddy and the Warrior Dash and those races have got to destroy the land they are on for a bit! (Plus, to go into a state park you either have to have an annual pass or pay $10 for a day pass...just to go into the park.) And then I began to look closer and saw that there is no Muddy Buddy "Bike & Run", just a "Run". (I didn't realize that there was a run...) So it looks like you find a "buddy" and you both run the course together. So it's basically like Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Mud Run, Dirty Dash...but you run with someone else. Wow! Ground Breaking!

I was going to let it drop...Then! This morning I saw on my FB wall about one of my friends posting about The Dirty Girl Mud Run. So, me being the pessimistic nosey person I am, I found out more details...(From their FB page.)
Mission
To provide a non-intimidating environment for women ages 14 and up of all abilities in which they can let their hair down and enjoy some mud, sweat, and cheers.
Really?!?! The website just gets worse (imo) talking about creating an environment for everyone to have fun...the "race" isn't timed...

Oh! And the Dirty Girl Mud Run is "only" $100! I haven't even paid $100 to enter a triathlon!!

DT's comment: Wow, they have officially jumped the shark!

I really applaud the creativity that a few organizations had to "create" the "adventure" race category...and to do such a good job of marketing it! (Seriously, I do.) It was a fun idea! And I can only imagine the amount of prep it takes to get these set-up!! But when will it stop?!!? When will other creative minds finally think of something else as the new "in"?!? I just hope that a lot of companies don't lose their shirts because they hoped on the (all ready full) bandwagon too late.

2013-05-18 12:08 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Really "adventure" races...really?!?!
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why these events would bother anyone. They appear to be fun, they get people active, apparently there is a market for them. What's exactly is your beef?
2013-05-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I think I just feel these are overdone...but yes, you are correct. I guess as long as people keep doing them and having fun that's what is important.
2013-05-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Ya, I sort of don't get what you mean. The wife did Tough Mudder last year. I cheered her on only because I had my Tris already paid for and it was not good for my schedule. There are several mud runs local and everyone I know has a blast. This year, the wife did not want to do Tough Mudder, but a "Dirty Girls" came to town. All her friends from the gym and others did it together. They had a total blast. The wife said Tough Mudder was tough, but this was nothing but a good time.

What's wrong with having a good time with your friends with proceeds going to a good cause?

Edited by powerman 2013-05-18 2:00 PM
2013-05-18 2:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-05-18 2:49 PM
2013-05-18 9:33 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
X2 on the enjoyment factor---I have done 3 "adventure runs" this year so far, one being Survivor OCR (a national race series, and two other local ones--They are simply for fun and friends, but truly, every race is different. I have also done a Spartan Race (International OCR series)---and those things are tough---they require a lot of strength to complete obstacles, and overcoming your own mental blocks for both the obstacles and the race in general. The Spartans tend to be a bit more competitive, with different distances, but I still really enjoy it. I also enjoy doing tris; the thing is, I do a triathlon to RACE (Poorly, I admit...I am very slow, and too poor to get better equipment), but I do OCRs (aka adventure races) to overcome obstacles, both mentally and physically...Also, I do like the community aspect of OCRs---We help each other on obstacles, and encouragement is a regular occurrence as well--even when you do not know the other people. Tri people are wonderful in general, but during a race, not necessarily friendly ( I totally understand, its a competition)

Also, for an OCR, you don't need any extra stuff, just clothes (sometimes optional) and yourself...lots less $$$ overall!

OCRs are different, and there is a glut of them on the market--as long as people pay the fees, they will continue to keep going. (btw. I always use Living Social, etc. for deals--I rarely pay more than $25 per race--I NEVER pay that little for a tri.)

2013-05-19 11:04 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Does no one else see the supreme irony of providing a "less intimidating environment" for an event like this?
2013-05-19 12:02 PM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Originally posted by briderdt

Does no one else see the supreme irony of providing a "less intimidating environment" for an event like this?

Not at all. Would you care to explain it to us?

I do see the irony of ranting about these kinds of events on a triathlon site though, especially this one. Still trying to figure exactly what problem one would have to rant about...
2013-05-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by briderdt

Hmmmm, no?
How is it any different than an indoor triathlon, a beginner's wave start, or a women's only tri (or heck even the athena/clydes divisions)? All things that help folks feel more comfortable starting out or getting involved. Never a bad thing in my eyes.

I guess it's one of those things where if you don't like it, don't participate? But I don't really see the value in bashing them publicly.
2013-05-19 3:36 PM

Master
I LOVE these races! Brings out the kid in me. We don't have the popular ones like Tough Mudder, Spartan, and such, but I'd be down if we did. We have one where you team up and do a kind of scavenger hunt. It doesn't do much more damage than an off road triathlon does. It's a great way for one to see the beauty of our island for people new to the island.

I have to add that they help the environment here because there areas are always "swept" after the races by volunteers to go through the course to pick up trash that may be left behind by the racers.

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-19 3:40 PM
2013-05-19 4:27 PM

NC
Originally posted by lkct01234

The website just gets worse (imo) talking about creating an environment for everyone to have fun...

Inconceivable.

2013-05-19 5:12 PM

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by the bear

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why these events would bother anyone. They appear to be fun, they get people active, apparently there is a market for them. What's exactly is your beef?

My beef is they are marketed as being these killer race experiences. People enter them because of the marketing machine behind them that makes them feel like the are accomplishing something great, when really they aren't. Really it is the marketing more than anything else. That hard sell puts a bad taste in my mouth and I tend to think that people who buy into it are fish.

Not to say I am any better when it comes to other mass marketed things/events, but that is my beef.

eta: I did see a girl and guy out today on my hill hiking this morning. The girl was training for a 5k Spartan (which, I mean, really, how hard could that be), the guy was training for a 22k tough mudder (which would kick my butt for sure). They looked buff and were sprinting up the hill that took me 4 minutes to hike in about 120 seconds. Of course I did it 30 times and they did it about 6.

Edited by BigDH 2013-05-19 5:15 PM
2013-05-19 5:25 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by BigDH

People enter them because of the marketing machine behind them that makes them feel like the are accomplishing something great, when really they aren't.

Who are you to say it isn't a great accomplishment for them? If ever I've read an elitist statement... wow.

The girl was training for a 5k Spartan (which, I mean, really, how hard could that be)

Again the elitism is a bit nauseating here. My goodness.
2013-05-19 5:28 PM

My beef is they are marketed as being these killer race experiences. People enter them because of the marketing machine behind them that makes them feel like the are accomplishing something great, when really they aren't.

Huh? If someone's been on the couch for, say, 20 years or never done anything physical, doing one of these races IS doing something great.

Wow.

2013-05-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Agreed. To go from no activity to running and using muscles in new and exciting ways (for them)? That IS an accomplishment. As for a Spartan 5k? I did their Beast here in Norcal--14 miles with 20+ obstacles--this included a rope climb, climbing a cliff with a rope, flipping heavy tires, and all with nonstop rain, and icy-cold winds--and oh yeah, if you can't complete an obstacle, you have a penalty to do of 30 burpees for each obstacle, and the race is timed...yes, it was tough. Tougher than any triathlon I have done. I admit, the longest distance tri I have done is the Olympic, so I am not nearly in the same awesome category as many on this site, but every triathlon I have completed has never been easy. Every race I do, regardless of category is an accomplishment for me--if that makes me a silly lemming for racing in OCRs as well as tris, I am okay with that
As for the sprint, its 3-5 miles, 15+ obstacles, and same penalty...and it is also timed. Yes, still an accomplishment.

Much like crossfit vs. s/b/r training, there is no BETTER method for everyone. To some, the triathlon is a much better sport/accomplishment, and to others, it is all about OCRs....The thing is, WHO CARES? If a person wants to do one, the other, or both--GOOD FOR THEM! Its better than rotting as a tub of goo on the couch.
2013-05-19 6:45 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I agree with Lisa & Daniel. Any event can be a big deal to someone. These events can be a great goal for people to keep them active.

I'm just starting to work with a new client who has been sedentary all her life. Her goal is to run a 5k without walking. Nevermind the obstacles of events like Spartan Race or Tough Mudder, we're just talking a basic 5k here. Believe me when I say this is a big deal. When she achieves her goal, I'll be as proud to be part of her success as if she had run across the Sahara Desert.

Sometimes I think we become jaded on boards like here and ST with all the discussion of HIM's and IM's, and we forget that this stuff isn't "normal" by the definition of the vast majority of the population. IMO, anything that provides a little inspiration for people to get up and do something is a good thing.

2013-05-19 7:13 PM

Champion
Austin, Texas
I agree with the majority of people on here - if it's getting people out, being active and having a good time... isn't that the point? I guess it would also mean that all that marketing is doing a good job at getting people out, active and having fun, no?
2013-05-19 9:38 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-19 10:30 PM

Pro
Pretty soon there will be nothing left to make fun of.............and nobody who can take a joke.

I've heard it said that an IM, or really any triathlon, is just walking across the stage to get your diploma...the work is all in the training. I agree with that.

I think it takes a certain amount of training to complete a "tough mudder", or one of the other gimmick races.....so that's good. Truly.

For me, however, the graduation ceremony for those races is dumb and the diploma ain't worth crap.

Still......go on and jump the fire...........yay!!!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-19 10:44 PM
2013-05-20 4:27 AM
in reply to: #4747746

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
But you can't get a "Dirty Dot" tattoo or call yourself a real "Dirty Girl" unless you do a real "Dirty Girl" race. I'm ok with anything that gets Muricans off the couch.
2013-05-20 7:56 AM

Elite
Puyallup, WA

You know what the beauty about this forum is? I can complain about something, people can tell me they don't agree with my complaints and we can all move on!

I guess I'd like to compare it to a good joke. You hear it the first time, or first few times, and it's really funny...then you hear it about 10 more times and it's just annoying. Other people haven't heard it and they think it's funny. Or even yet, there are still some who chuckle every time they hear it.

2013-05-20 8:57 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
I like that these fun races are getting people off the sofa and doing something. Maybe they start with a fun race and move on to something more serious? Everyone has to start somewhere.

I know for me, I don't have fun at "fun" races. Call me a stick in the mud, but I don't have a good time if it is too easy. I figured this out about myself so I don't do them. The idea of walking a 5K and having colored flour thrown all over me, doesn't sound like fun to me (a group from my company recently did one of those color runs, and I made sure to pass). I did the Muddy Buddy once. While different, I didn't find it "fun". That's just me. Other people love doing races like that, and more power to them!

2013-05-20 10:58 AM
in reply to: KSH

My only beef with them is they look like a great way to tear up a knee or ankle. And I really don't want to get injured. It would take me away from training for events that do matter to me.

2013-05-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by RussTKD My only beef with them is they look like a great way to tear up a knee or ankle. And I really don't want to get injured. It would take me away from training for events that do matter to me.

+1, They look dangerous and not at all worth the risk.  I must officially be old.

2013-05-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Pro
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I agree with the majority of people on here - if it's getting people out, being active and having a good time... isn't that the point? I guess it would also mean that all that marketing is doing a good job at getting people out, active and having fun, no?

Exactly! I think most people who sign up for these things do it with friends as a group activity. It's not like triathlon where even if you go with friends, you're competing against yourself and you AG.

I have no interest in doing a tough mudder myself, but I know if my friends really wanted to do it, I'd do it for the fun. We'd get dirty, have some fun, and then have a couple beers. Nothing bad about that!

Oh wait, you can't pee in your wetsuit or on the bike, so we wouldn't have much else to talk about
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Really "adventure" races...really?!?! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

When spelling is really, really important....

Started by WelshinPhilly
Views: 1689 Posts: 22

2010-02-07 7:42 PM BbMoozer

Facebook and this really really annoys me Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 2600 Posts: 50

2010-02-04 7:06 AM Nathanm74

One of my co-workers is really, really, really evil

Started by Spokes
Views: 815 Posts: 8

2007-08-15 5:50 PM coachese

The Best Way To Get Really Really Drunk Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Spokes
Views: 3525 Posts: 93

2006-10-23 9:07 AM spokes

I think this really, really hurt (Pic Link)

Started by Spokes
Views: 785 Posts: 17

2006-08-22 12:34 PM Chap
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!