Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Really "adventure" races...really?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-20 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Really "adventure" races...really?!?!
Okay, since this is still alive, I'll throw in some more thoughts and see if it brings a little hypocrisy to light.

First, I'm all in favor of enticing people to become more active. That's a good thing. But if an event is dumbed down so that people can do it with no training, how does that help? Is it so that they can now label themselves as "active" and feel good about themselves because they got off the couch for a day?

And how about schools that don't give grades because we're all afraid we'll stifle our childrens' fragile self-esteem? I think there's a commencement speech attributed to Bill Gates that gets a lot of airplay every June that everyone seems to love -- Hey, there are winners and losers in life, get used to it. So now we make a kinder and gentler "tough race" where we don't take down your time and don't give out awards for the fast folks and... Wow. Is that really any different?

I kind of thought that the idea of the obstacle race jumped the shark long (okay, "long" is relative) before the Dirty Girl event -- how many me-too races have popped onto the calendar? And no, they're not really "adventure races". That's a whole different breed.

No, I won't do an event like this. I realize it's all volunteer -- enter if you want, don't enter if you don't want. I'm not going to deride any one who enters this event -- good on ya.

Edited by briderdt 2013-05-20 12:06 PM

2013-05-20 12:31 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by briderdt

Okay, since this is still alive, I'll throw in some more thoughts and see if it brings a little hypocrisy to light.

First, I'm all in favor of enticing people to become more active. That's a good thing. But if an event is dumbed down so that people can do it with no training, how does that help? Is it so that they can now label themselves as "active" and feel good about themselves because they got off the couch for a day?

"Help" what?
If someone got off their couch and slugged through a 5K dirty girl event (with or without training) - what's it to you? I'd venture to say 99% of the world does things that you don't want to, but they enjoy doing, and vice versa. Why pick on this one?
2013-05-20 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Most of my friends are not triathletes, or even runners. I've been able to get a couple running and biking by inviting them to events where you can get by with a little bit of experience. Trail runs that are actually more like trail hikes, and fun bike "rides". One's gone off and run her first 1/2 marathon after realizing sweating is not so bad, and that she can actually run. They're not for everyone, but if it takes a fun setting to start at with little pressure to get someone to give an active lifestyle a try, then I think it's great. They're learning things about their physical abilities. May be small things to a seasoned athlete, but it could mean taking a leap into something more challenging for one that's not.

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-20 6:09 PM
2013-05-20 6:32 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I can actually see the reasoning. In fact, I can see the reasoning for THIS event more than some of the others. The other seem like clones (but look like fun). But THIS one? I bet there could be a significant population of women that would like to try something like this but felt this it's probably full of military and military wanna-bees and testosterone filled young lads trying to be hard core. Probably all the chest bumping and war cries... (I'm sort of envisioning there is something like that at these things - I never been to one) Same reason they have a women's section in most gyms.

It may seem like it's getting watered down with all the events and different branded races. I also thought think that every time they add another IM - but they keep selling out. So more power to them. Plus if SOMETHING strikes a chord in someone to get off their butts and do something active after everything else failed? What's the harm in that in this country of obesity.
2013-05-20 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
I did the Tough Mudder last year. No big deal. It was quite shocking at the end though.

I really miss the smiley face with sunglasses coz that's what I would have added at the end of my sentence.
2013-05-20 6:46 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by briderdt

"Help" what?
If someone got off their couch and slugged through a 5K dirty girl event (with or without training) - what's it to you? I'd venture to say 99% of the world does things that you don't want to, but they enjoy doing, and vice versa. Why pick on this one?

I agree with your posts Lisa. I'm a bit confused why it would bother someone if someone else says they are active or not. Who cares what someone wants to label themselves? Or on what criteria they label themselves? Shoot, if some stranger wants to say they are the world's greatest athlete after running a mile - what impact does that have to me? ZERO. Is it some fear that if you call yourself an "athlete" if someone who does this and also calls themselves an "athlete" it waters it down?

It's also interesting how someone can look down on a 5k, or 10k or whatever because they do "more". I guess if I wanted, I could mock all the 1, 2, or 3 time IM'ers since I did four. Someone who has done 5 or more can mock me. Someone who did an ultra can mock them... Where does it end?

To me, this just seems like a fun activity. All activities don't have to be a lifestyle. I play golf occasionally and I'm sure some "good" golfers think I'm a poser because I'm not at the range every day. To me, golf is a fun day out - just like this race. I'm surprised at the elitism and condescension about a simple fun weekend event.

2013-05-20 10:13 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Kido - I don't have to be "elitist" in order think some activities, like Tough Mudder, are stupid.

Hell, I think golf is stupid....and bowling....except Wii bowling, that's cool...probably because you don't need the shoes.
2013-05-20 10:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Originally posted by Left Brain

Kido - I don't have to be "elitist" in order think some activities, like Tough Mudder, are stupid.

Hell, I think golf is stupid....and bowling....except Wii bowling, that's cool...probably because you don't need the shoes.

You take that back! Bowling is awesome!
2013-05-20 10:21 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Well the difference is you're not going around on golf or bowling sites bashing what you don't like...

Heck I dunno, maybe you are? That would complete the circle of life for this thread.
2013-05-21 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by BigDH

Originally posted by the bear

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why these events would bother anyone. They appear to be fun, they get people active, apparently there is a market for them. What's exactly is your beef?

My beef is they are marketed as being these killer race experiences. People enter them because of the marketing machine behind them that makes them feel like the are accomplishing something great, when really they aren't. Really it is the marketing more than anything else. That hard sell puts a bad taste in my mouth and I tend to think that people who buy into it are fish.

Not to say I am any better when it comes to other mass marketed things/events, but that is my beef.

eta: I did see a girl and guy out today on my hill hiking this morning. The girl was training for a 5k Spartan (which, I mean, really, how hard could that be), the guy was training for a 22k tough mudder (which would kick my butt for sure). They looked buff and were sprinting up the hill that took me 4 minutes to hike in about 120 seconds. Of course I did it 30 times and they did it about 6.

i have no interest in these color me rad 5ks that are popping up everywhere. BUT they are getting SO MANY PEOPLE off the couches and running. my sister gained 70 pounds while pregnant, had her son jan 15 (or so - i really should learn that date) and fit back into her wedding dress (down 80 pounds in 4 months) before the race last week. the girl had NEVER run before.

how on earth is that NOT impressive? and how does that affect my sense of accomplisment when i run my first marathon this year?

Edited by mehaner 2013-05-21 7:32 AM
2013-05-21 8:04 AM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
I have zero interest in the color run 5k's. However, I have done a Warrior Dash, and I thought it was a really fun "race". It's the first race I ever did that made me want to line up in the next wave and do it again.

2013-05-21 8:41 AM

User image

Expert

That was really insensitive. (crap, no stick the tongue out smiley faces anymore either)

I'd say there are hobbies that I have no interest in, that others do, but not sure if I'd label them "stupid" just because I have no passion for them.

I've no interest in walking around with a dog in the swamp trying to shoot ducks, but my brother loves it. And I respect that.. I know a lot of other people do to.. so I try not to be DB and say it to their faces.

Edited by KateTri1 2013-05-21 8:41 AM
2013-05-21 9:00 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by KateTri1

That was really insensitive. (crap, no stick the tongue out smiley faces anymore either)

I'd say there are hobbies that I have no interest in, that others do, but not sure if I'd label them "stupid" just because I have no passion for them.

I've no interest in walking around with a dog in the swamp trying to shoot ducks, but my brother loves it. And I respect that.. I know a lot of other people do to.. so I try not to be DB and say it to their faces.

I enjoy lots of things that other people think are stupid.....sometimes they tell me they think it's stupid...I laugh.

I guess I could go through life being offended all the time, but that just seems.....well........stupid.
2013-05-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
I had to bike past a color run last year on my way out for long ride and got pelted. Worse yet, they got it on my bike! So I am now officially a hater
2013-05-21 9:20 AM

User image

I'm still confused about the point of a color run.

I pay $50 to run 3 miles and have someone throw colored corn starch all over me, ruining my running gear? And it's fun?

How?
2013-05-21 9:31 AM

User image

Expert

I enjoy lots of things that other people think are stupid.....sometimes they tell me they think it's stupid...I laugh.

I guess I could go through life being offended all the time, but that just seems.....well........stupid.

well, if you really really think I'm actually offended and not really just giving you a hard time coz it seems like you kinda like it... well, that's really stupid. (stick the tongue out smiley face)

2013-05-21 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by Left Brain Kido - I don't have to be "elitist" in order think some activities, like Tough Mudder, are stupid.
That was really insensitive. (crap, no stick the tongue out smiley faces anymore either) I'd say there are hobbies that I have no interest in, that others do, but not sure if I'd label them "stupid" just because I have no passion for them. I've no interest in walking around with a dog in the swamp trying to shoot ducks, but my brother loves it. And I respect that.. I know a lot of other people do to.. so I try not to be DB and say it to their faces.

Kate, you can get your editing tools normally above your message with the full spectrum of smiley's back.  Just go to:

Settings -> Forum Settings -> General -> Use rich editor for blog and forum posts? answer yes

2013-05-21 9:44 AM

User image

Pro

well, if you really really think I'm actually offended and not really just giving you a hard time coz it seems like you kinda like it... well, that's really stupid. (stick the tongue out smiley face)

I got it.............especially the duck hunting part. I'm just trying to be sensitive to "those who demand to be offended".
2013-05-21 10:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2013-05-21 10:21 AM
2013-05-21 10:47 AM

Expert
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by Left Brain Kido - I don't have to be "elitist" in order think some activities, like Tough Mudder, are stupid.
That was really insensitive. (crap, no stick the tongue out smiley faces anymore either) I'd say there are hobbies that I have no interest in, that others do, but not sure if I'd label them "stupid" just because I have no passion for them. I've no interest in walking around with a dog in the swamp trying to shoot ducks, but my brother loves it. And I respect that.. I know a lot of other people do to.. so I try not to be DB and say it to their faces.

Kate, you can get your editing tools normally above your message with the full spectrum of smiley's back.  Just go to:

Settings -> Forum Settings -> General -> Use rich editor for blog and forum posts? answer yes

Thanks .. and damm.. Now I have to find the "Settings" icon

of course I found it right after making this comment.. doh!!!

Edited by KateTri1 2013-05-21 10:50 AM
2013-05-21 10:51 AM

Master
Livonia, MI

Go to the top right where it says "Hello, KateTri1" and mouse over it.  Settings should be the first selection on the drop down menu Smile

2013-05-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by RussTKD

My only beef with them is they look like a great way to tear up a knee or ankle. And I really don't want to get injured. It would take me away from training for events that do matter to me.

Exactly. In the book "I am an Ironman" one of the women whose training the author followed tore her ACL by falling off a wall at one of these Adventure Races. All of the training that she did for IM AZ was over one month before the race because of the injury.
2013-05-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: rick4657

Expert

Originally posted by rick4657
Originally posted by RussTKD My only beef with them is they look like a great way to tear up a knee or ankle. And I really don't want to get injured. It would take me away from training for events that do matter to me.
Exactly. In the book "I am an Ironman" one of the women whose training the author followed tore her ACL by falling off a wall at one of these Adventure Races. All of the training that she did for IM AZ was over one month before the race because of the injury.

Right there with you on that one. For the Tough Mudder one could go around any of the obstacles they didn't feel comfortable with. There were two I didn't do. The 15 foot unsupported climbing wall, I am 5 foot nothing, and the "Everest" another really tall climbing type wall. 

I didn't do that event this winter because of the HIM I did in the spring. As a whole though.. it was tough.. I was far more sore after that than my 70.3. 

2013-05-21 12:15 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

Pro

Go to the top right where it says "Hello, KateTri1" and mouse over it.  Settings should be the first selection on the drop down menu Smile

When I mouse over it I get another fat lady in underwear.....I can't have nothing!!
2013-05-21 12:29 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by lisac957

People enter them because of the marketing machine behind them that makes them feel like the are accomplishing something great, when really they aren't.

Who are you to say it isn't a great accomplishment for them? If ever I've read an elitist statement... wow.

The girl was training for a 5k Spartan (which, I mean, really, how hard could that be)

Again the elitism is a bit nauseating here. My goodness.

On a very base level I don't care what people do with their money. Buy a $500 bottle of wine. Take a trip to the Antarctica. Eat fast food. I see the value in those experiences it is just the value is out of step for what you pay for those experiences and the reason people do it is because we are fish and happy to be guided by which ever way the water is flowing. Or at least that is how it seems to me.

About the chick, I wasn't saying that I am better than her because I am not wasting my time training or complementing in a 5k obstacle race. She in fact looked quite buff and probably headed off some place to do 100 burpees and drag a tire around a parking lot. Maybe the 5k sparatan was just part of a bigger season for her. My point was that she was doing a far harder workout than the minimum, I guess you had to see the hill and how fast they were running it. But that doesn't matter, if she was a big chubber huffing and puffing it up the hill i would have had mad respect for her too.

I don't disrespect the people or even the people doing the event, I disrespect the event. I would add that I am not immune to marketing, especially the marketing of running shoes of which I have far too many pairs and have spent far too much money. I do it because it makes me happy. So I get that bit.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Really "adventure" races...really?!?! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

When spelling is really, really important....

Started by WelshinPhilly
Views: 1692 Posts: 22

2010-02-07 7:42 PM BbMoozer

Facebook and this really really annoys me Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 2608 Posts: 50

2010-02-04 7:06 AM Nathanm74

One of my co-workers is really, really, really evil

Started by Spokes
Views: 824 Posts: 8

2007-08-15 5:50 PM coachese

The Best Way To Get Really Really Drunk Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Spokes
Views: 3534 Posts: 93

2006-10-23 9:07 AM spokes

I think this really, really hurt (Pic Link)

Started by Spokes
Views: 787 Posts: 17

2006-08-22 12:34 PM Chap
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!