General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of clipless pedals to buy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-18 12:11 PM

User image

New user
Subject: What kind of clipless pedals to buy
I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get some clipless pedals. It has been over a year since I got my road bike and I decided I am ready to step up. I am not looking for the top of the line expensive pedals as I have a lot of other related items to buy as well. I am looking at some pedals at my local bike store performance bike. There are a lot of variety of pedals. I don't want to break the bank but I also don't really know enough about them to know what I should be looking for. I am hoping to keep my price around $50-$75.There are plenty of options in that price range. I have included a link. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=1055...

2013-05-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What kind of clipless pedals to buy
here's a good place to start:
http://university.tri-sports.com/2011/09/09/beginner’s-guide-to-cli...

You couldn't go wrong with one of the Look Keo's or Shimano pedals. they're easy to use, replacement cleats are readily available and require little maintenance. You pay more for less weight. Your choice on that. The one nice feature to pay a little extra for is an adjustment screw, where you can reduce the tension so that it's easier to twist out.
2013-05-18 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
While a little over your budget, I like my Speedplay light action pedals. They have a lot of free float, so my knee issues pretty much went away because my feet can go where they want without tension on them.
2013-05-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: Mikeylee

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Originally posted by Mikeylee

While a little over your budget, I like my Speedplay light action pedals. They have a lot of free float, so my knee issues pretty much went away because my feet can go where they want without tension on them.

^^^^this
2013-05-18 2:23 PM

User image

If you are looking for clip less pedals in the 50.00 price range, I would recommend the Shimano 105's... I truly understand supporting your LBS but that SOMETIMES comes at a price. On my first bike,I bought a pair of 105's for 54.00 from Nashbar. I just bought a new bike from my LBS and I wanted a second set of pedals... I bought another pair of 105's from the same LBS for 99.00. Sometimes it's not financially responsible to support your LBS. The 105's from Nashbar, for the price is by far the best bang for your buck.
2013-05-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
IMO--Look pedals
I have ridden Looks for maybe 30yr

2013-05-18 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
105 will be the closest to the $50 mark in a new pedal but they are really a great pedal. I've had mine for 2 years. Some people like the speedplays but I couldn't get use to the small platform and it was harder to get into them vs. the shimano for myself. ANY of the three (shimano, Look and SP) are great pedals but it's a personal thing.
2013-05-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Shiimano or Look you can't go wrong. I have shimanos on my bike while my wife as a set of look. She tried them both and liked the looks better than my shimanos

2013-05-18 10:04 PM
in reply to: Mikeylee

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Mikeylee

^^^ not this.

Look- speedplay's are cool. the free float is terrific, they're light, colorful and you can clip in both sides. However, they do have a few little niggles that may not be the best choice for a newbie to clip-ins. Firstly- the cleat on the bottom of your shoe is a honker. Secondly- they require care and maintenance to operate correctly, and thirdly, they are intolerant to grit, sand, dirt and any other stuff you might step in before clipping in. So, if you don't do a flying mount in T1 and instead, run with your cycling shoes on until the mount line and then hop on, it's not unlikely that you won't be able to clip in as you just picked up all kindsa' crap. So, they're not great for most triathletes.

I really do love speedplays, but their extra goodieness comes at a price.

the Shimano 105's if you want cheap. Or the look Keo Easy's are also similarly priced. both are perfectly terrific and inexpensive.
2013-05-19 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Do a google search for Mavic pedals- - there is a big time clearance going on for the Mavic Race model, just picked up a pair for $42. Regular price is in the 100s. I think they are being discontinued by the look of it, but you can't beat that deal, and they're great pedals. I've used Avenirs for a few years now (different model, but Mavic nonetheless) and have had zero issues and lots of love. Cleats are comparable to Looks, slightly less durable, but nothing you would care about, and the pedals are easy to get used to, hang correctly, and provide good security and float. At that price, you're getting a full pedal and the cleats for free.
2013-05-19 11:13 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

New user
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going with the Shimano 105. I am going to order off amazon since they are way cheaper on there. Again, thanks for all the help and expertise.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of clipless pedals to buy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bought my clipless pedals

Started by dredwards
Views: 871 Posts: 6

2006-04-29 10:07 PM vortmax

Clipless Pedals – Look or SPD??

Started by Stacers
Views: 1436 Posts: 21

2004-09-09 5:06 PM Bigpikle

clipless pedals and shoes question

Started by Live2Tri
Views: 782 Posts: 4

2004-08-13 12:45 PM the bear

clipless pedals & knee pain

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 4441 Posts: 14

2004-05-08 3:21 AM Bigpikle

why clipless pedals

Started by trilover
Views: 2297 Posts: 23

2003-12-29 6:11 AM clightle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.