All Community Events
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/84
Pre-race routine:

Yesterday wasn't the greatest pre-race prep. Helped my friend with her garage sale from 9-10:30am and it was so hot -- got sunburned. Not what I wanted to happen. I chugged water all day and tried to eat well. But I forgot how much I hate "carbing" up the day before. Felt icky, bloated all day.

Got up at 5am, slept ok, and good lord, had to evacuate my intestines. 6 times before the race started. Yikes. My blood sugar was 249 when I woke up too. Unexpectedly high. Had to change my insulin plan, but it was fine.

Was a LOT more nervous this morning than I thought I'd be.
Event warmup:

None. It was warm enough outside....
Run
  • 2h 18m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 05m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Was not prepared for the heat at 7am. It was by far the most humid day we've had all year, too. First 2 miles were uphill on the concrete and no water station until just after mile 2. I kept a good pace 9:30-9:45 for about the first 6 miles. The the sun just got to me. So thirsty. I was wearing my water belt, but it just didn't matter. Thank goodness I drank an extraordinary amount of water yesterday, otherwise I would have been in trouble. Had a gu at mile 4 and and decided to have my last one at 11 for the electrolytes.....

It cooled off a tiny bit from 7-9 with a thin layer of clouds, but the sun came out full blast at mile 9. It was 80 degrees when I got back to the car at 9:30am.

No cheering section during the race for me. My clan went to Starbucks and by the time they finished I was at mile 4 and they would have had to drive a ways to get to the spectating area. I was pretty disappointed :( They could have seen me at 4, 6, and 9 -- in about the same area. Todd just didn't want the boys out in the blazing heat whining, so that's okay. Wish I would have known.....

And oh my, not enough water stops. It would have been fine at 50 degrees, but not at 80. The last stop was at mile 11 and we still had 2 miles of blazing sun on concrete to go. I ran out, even though I was trying to fill up 1 of my bottles on my belt.

This was also a marathon, felt really bad for those people.
What would you do differently?:

Not get sunburned the day before.
Post race
Warm down:

Family was at the finish line. I grabbed 2 bottles of water and downed them. Stomach felt fine the whole way. They had a sprinkler mister that I stood in for a while.

Happy with my time, even though I really wanted to get 2:15 or under. 2:11 is my dream time. But I knew I had to be safe too. Heat, concrete, sun, humidity and pms were all factors.

Checked my blood sugar at the car and it was 138, so that was good. And when I got home I (still) cannot find my case with my insulin and meter. GRRRRRR. I really don't think we left it on top of the car. Todd swears it was cleared off. But it's nowhere. Thankfully it is all easily replaced, and my insulin was almost expired anyways, but really, I've never done that before. Glad it wasn't an insulin pump or anything too expensive.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT.

Last updated: 2013-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:45 | 13.1 miles | 05m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: 1st 2 miles and last 2 miles were on a concrete street paralleling a busy highway. Ugh. The rest of the race was in Busse Woods on asphalt, very nice. Lots more grade changes than I thought there would be. Busse woods was pretty, around some lakes, through the woods at time. But about 80% of the race was in the open sun.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-19 2:45 PM

User image

, Florida
Subject: Chicagoland Spring Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicagoland Spring Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon

Started by chrisp
Views: 1021 Posts: 6

2006-08-18 8:39 PM RidgeRunner

Started by snowgirl
Views: 1050 Posts: 5

2006-08-17 12:04 PM juliapurr

Started by RidgeRunner
Views: 1136 Posts: 3

2006-08-13 9:11 PM snowgirl

Steamboat Springs half marathon

Started by Christie
Views: 844 Posts: 2

2006-06-06 7:10 AM hpadkisson

DeLeon Springs Half Marathon

Started by soupaman
Views: 1295 Posts: 2

2004-12-26 4:44 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.