General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Open Water Swim Tomorrow, any advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-19 11:16 PM

User image

New user
Subject: First Open Water Swim Tomorrow, any advice
I am finally able to try an open water swim tomorrow. The weather was a little colder than normal here in Ohio this spring so it will be nice to get out and try an OWS. All that being said, I am worried about water temperature and pretty sure I am going to freeze even though its supposed to get to 88 degrees tomorrow. Any advice on my first OWS. I have been swimming around a mile indoors. I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to go too little either. Any advice is appreciated. My best guess was to try about 20 minutes tomorrow followed by a nice jog.

2013-05-20 12:16 AM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: RE: First Open Water Swim Tomorrow, any advice
What is the tempature of the water you will be swimming in?
2013-05-20 12:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
do others swim at this spot ?
is there a lifeguard on duty ? or someone watching you?

I'd sample it first, do a short out and back, and see how it feels.
then go longer if it seems ok.

I'd stick to the level of where you are training now for sure, maybe cut it back a bit just for this time.

Edited by metafizx 2013-05-20 12:21 AM
2013-05-20 12:04 PM
in reply to: spearit

User image

New user
It is not warm by any means, its 60 degrees. But thankfully outside today its 85 already and very humid. Hopefully that will help.
2013-05-20 12:43 PM

User image

Are you going to swim in Alum Creek?
(I saw your profile that you are from Lewis Center, so I assume it).

If so, it would be nice coz Alum Creek is very shallow nearshore.
I am 5'5, and I remember that I can touch the bottom at 15-20 yards away from the shore.

But depending on where you swim in the lake, you need to try it out and be careful there.

I assume you have a wetsuit?
The water will be cold if you just wear a swimsuit.

Good luck!
2013-05-21 7:45 AM
in reply to: Lynn00

User image

New user
No wet suit, yes I swam at Alum and it is very shallow close to shore. I jokingly said to someone afterwards that OWS is about as similar to swimming in a pool as riding a horse is to being on a carousel. It was definitely cold when I got in, but I was amazed how quickly my body adjusted to the water temperature. I didn't feel cold after a minute. I didn't swim especially well and I need to get a lot more practice doing swims in open water, but it was a good first trial I think. I jogged about 5 miles after getting out. The one thing that went thru my mind though was, man I am glad I didn't sign up for a 1/2 ironman to start as my first race as I had originally intended.

2013-05-21 8:40 AM

User image

Sounds good.
There are a lot of races in summer at Alum Creek.
Did you sign up for any?
Last time when I did it, I remember quite few people just walked in the water, as supposed to swimming.

Ps, I am trying out my wetsuit in open water first time next week.
Guess the water would be warmer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Open Water Swim Tomorrow, any advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Open Water Swim Advice

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 950 Posts: 14

2007-05-18 9:46 PM Birkierunner

First Open Water Swim- Advice?

Started by Adam P
Views: 685 Posts: 3

2006-09-17 1:30 PM Hazelmn

Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice

Started by spkd49
Views: 1522 Posts: 11

2005-07-04 10:25 AM rabkaman

Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice

Started by spkd49
Views: 995 Posts: 7

2005-07-18 10:07 PM misscullen

Open Water Swim Advice

Started by indiancrossover
Views: 986 Posts: 6

2005-06-06 9:54 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : September 9, 2009
author : monacoiii
comments : 1
I took up swimming to heal from a back injury. I’m a runner. I run marathons. How can I not swim 25 meters? So, in order to force myself to learn, I signed-up for an open water sprint triathlon.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.