World Triathlon Corporation
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 58m 2s
Overall Rank = 1124/2814
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

normal morning routine w/ kyo green and chia, then 3 hrs prior to race start had a hammer pepetuem drink and 5 min prior to start had a gel.
followed strategy given by hammer nutrition and it worked well
Swim
  • 1h 40m 12s
  • 4224 yards
  • 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

my first mass swim start. i loved the challenge of it but it was hard to swim smooth as 2 swimmers kept cutting me off and hitting and kicking me. I knew it was the same 2 people (a guy and a girl) because after it happend so often i looked at their race number. I don't think they knew how to sight properly and i wasn't fast enough to get away from them.
Considering that i didn't do much swim distance practice it went well. my longest swim was 3000 and i only did that once. i mostly only swam 1000-1500 in practice.
What would you do differently?:

nothing really. I enjoyed it.
Transition 1
  • 08m 48s
Comments:

my transition was faster than i thought. i thought i took my time. i must just be familiar with the routine.

absolutely nothing. perfect for me.
Bike
  • 6h 18m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

the heat got to me by mile 30. i had to get off the bike at each aid station in order to douse myself head to toe with water in order to cool off. I EASILY could have shaved an hour to an hour off my time.
i stopped at every aid station from mile 30 on. roughly 7 stops that i took anywhere from 5-10 minutes ea.
i couldn't breathe in the heat. every long ride i did in training was done in 30-40 degrees, and to ride race day near 100 was pretty hard to handle.

considering the heat i think i just accepted things as they were but if i knew how much time i could save maybe i would've shortened my stay at the water stops.
nonetheless, i just let the day come to me and i had fun. i enjoyed it.
those things are not normally said in an ironman, that's also how i know that i just took it easy.
Transition 2
  • 10m 50s
Comments:

volunteers took care of everything, as i came into t1 they take the bike, helmet and shoes
in tranistion again as with t1 i thought i was just relaxing and taking time. ended up being faster than i thought.
i did forget my race belt with the gps tracker!!

not forget my race belt. i felt bad because thats how my wife knew where i was on the course. also, because it was a 3 loop course i figured on the second loop i could retrieve it from transistion but that ended up costing me at least 15+20 minutes as i waited for the volunteers to try to find it. They didn't.
Run
  • 5h 39m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 04m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

i hated the first loop and pretty much just did whatever i had to get through it. on the second loop i wasted time waiting for volunteers trying to find my race belt, no luck. and the third lap i crushed it!!
I did have to stop at every aid station to douse myself with water in order to cool my body temps. i literally soaked myself head to toe like i did on the bike and ran as wet as i could. luckily my shoes and socks held up, no sloshing and no blistering.
as running is my weak spot i am amazed that i actually could have run this under 5 hours under normal conditions. i kept good form and stayed within myself in order to just enjoy myself and finish with a smile as well so i didn't hurt myself with a pulled muscle or cramping or some sort of injury.
i got alot of compliments from the crowd on my form and my pace.
the run course was my favorite part of the day, great crowd support!!!

not forget my race belt. i felt bad because thats how my wife knew where i was on the course. also, because it was a 3 loop course i figured on the second loop i could retrieve it from transistion but that ended up costing me at least 15+20 minutes as i waited for the volunteers to try to find it. They didn't.
Post race
Warm down:

just walked it off with Imelda and Isabella (she was asleep). Not one cramp, no i.v.'s needed. I did stop by med tent just to put ice on my knees to help in recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat. going from training in 30-50 degree weather to upwards of 100 was tough. definitely would have made the bike and run faster as well as more enjoyable but since i stayed in my box i was able to finish happy and with a smile.

Event comments:

prior to race day there you couldn't tell there was an event happening that weekend outside of ironman village where most people stayed.
we stayed at a hotel 15 minutes away but it seemed like another time zone due to no race day influence.
the actual race course was a course to set a p.r. with the right weather conditions and the volunteers were awesome.

Last updated: 2012-12-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:40:12 | 4224 yards | 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 302/
Overall: 1868/2814
Performance: Good
this actually includes a long run into transition so actual swim time may be shorter by 1-2 minutes
Suit: no wetsuit for me
Course: lake woodlands, texas.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:18:33 | 112 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 226/
Overall: 1316/2814
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: pretty flat and fast course w/ a few rollers but nothing bad. last 50-60 miles was headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:39:38 | 26.2 miles | 04m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 203/
Overall: 1124/2814
3 loop course roughly 8 miles long.
Course: 3 loop course roughly 8 miles long. first loop is horrible because you hear the pros and fast people finishing and in your head you still gotta do this 3 times!!! 2nd loop got better as you figured just 1 more time after this one, and the 3rd you know you will finish so its somewhat less painful. at least thats how i took it.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-20 3:25 AM

Regular
chicagoland, northwest indiana
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2856 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2633 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2368 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2884 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3280 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.