Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Ultramax Sports
Total Time = 1h 51m 46s
Overall Rank = 24/313
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 5/34
Pre-race routine:

Nearly destroyed my bike while prepping it on Saturday for the race, accidently installed the cassette with spacer it didn't need then didn't run through full gears on the workstand, result was chain in the rear wheel, locked up rear end skidding on flint-like chip seal, tubular tire destroyed, wheel out of true but chain didn't snap and spokes didn't break. Got everything back together with an old but serviceable tire quickly glued on and having tape remnants, don't plan to take any high speed corners. Also managed to not adjust the brakes adequately for the wider aero rims and they later ended up rubbing.

Also managed to total space out packet pickup on Friday, late Saturday morning I suddenly realized I hadn't gotten it so had to drive out to Lawrence to get the darn thing, oops, lots going on, haven't been real focused on triathlon lately.
Event warmup:

Sat under a trailer for an hour BSing and trying to keep warm while the storm blew through.

Ran ~ 3/4 mile a few minutes before the bike TT start.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim cancelled due to lightning. I was disappointed, my expectations were to improve my swim about 1 minute over last year (but given the variances of open water swimming it certainly might not have been observed). However, given that I'm not one of the fishies this was in my favor.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no T1
Bike
  • 1h 06m 59s
  • 25.9 miles
  • 23.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind was from SSE, a slightly odd direction for our part of the world. With the swim cancelled they lined us up for a TT start and sent us off one by one across the timing mat as quick as we could go, I was near the front of the line, couldn't have been more than a couple minutes from the start of the Pros until I got up to the line, actually caught some of the female pros on the bike course. Pacing at the start was interesting, I glanced at the PM a couple times to make sure I wasn't going to blow up right away climbing the hills out of the park, got through the park and onto the dam, reached down and adjusted my front brake a bit which seemed to be rubbing from time to time, looked at the lap average power about 15 minutes in and i was at 285W with the hill at the end of the dam coming up I figured I'd hit 20 minutes at 280+W, a new PR, then I promptly dropped my chain off the small end going up the hill, I was off the gas for 17s and stopped for only 6s to get the chain back on and moving again, got caught by 8 or 10 bikes during my coasting and stop but immediately passed them back with a very unwise 550W for 30s acceleration before getting my head back in the game and backing off to more realistic numbers for the duration of the climb. While stopped I also released the quick-release on the rear brake as it was rubbing my freshly untrued rim (see pre-race routine) as the frame flexed. Both brakes continued to give off the occasional unmistakable sound of brake pad brushing carbon rim pretty much any time I was climbing, passing, or otherwise hammering away, guess someone needs to give his bike a little TLC.

The TT start had no particular order other than pros, elites, then age group and I started near the front of the field so it wasn't crowded, about 10 miles in I actually caught the first of 2 pro women (who would probably have finished the swim about 8 minutes ahead of me, not the handful of seconds they got between the tail end of the pros and the start of the joes AND I'm quite sure they both blew past me on the run) I noticed they went up hill better than me but I had a definite speed advantage on the flats. Speaking of flats, wet roads means lots of people were out walking their bikes, one dude was jogging his bike back barefoot about 8 miles from the transition, I wonder if he got a ride or just kept on running.

Anyway, got back into the park with average power still over 270W, given the downhills on the way to the lake it ended up at 264W. Very happy, i was looking for 250-255W, was hitting 235-240 in Oly distance races last year and had a 260+W sprint but 23+ mph in the wind around Clinton Lake, lets hope I can still run...
What would you do differently?:

Not drop chain, either install a chain catcher or rewire my brain to shift slowly from big to little, if I give the derailleur limit screw another 1/4 turn I can't downshift under power so I'm not sure what else to try. Give bike a tune up, brakes rubbing is just silly.

Also need to work on maintaining focus, specifically on flat terrain, easing up into zone 2 / 3 when I should be sitting close to the top of zone 3 or even in zone 4.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I had my shoes and socks wrapped up in a towel so they would be somewhat dry, so it took a moment to get them upwrapped and everything sorted out. Socks went on wet feet surprisingly well.

nothing
Run
  • 43m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

first lap was solid, 7:00, 6:44, 6:51 but quads were cramping after the downhill at the end of the first lap, start of second lap was 7:16 (had the hill again) then a pair of 7:03s, couldn't keep an under 7 pace going on the second lap, I'd sneak a peak at the Garmin and see 7:15 or 7:20, increase the effort for awhile and maybe see under 7 for a bit, then drift back up to 7:20 again. Not too surprising given that I've just been coasting on run training. My bike max heart rate is basically even with my run max HR now, used to be a solid 10-15 bpm difference in the two.

Need to get and stay run healthy and then get in some consistent training, no real complaints though I held together pretty well.
Post race
Warm down:

pizza and a stomach ache

What limited your ability to perform faster:

minimal run training the last couple months

Last updated: 2013-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/313
Performance:
Suit:
Course: no swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:59 | 25.9 miles | 23.20 mile/hr
Performance: Good
avg HR 157 BPM, max HR 170 BPM
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back, rolling hills. Course measured about a mile long, turn around for a dead on 40k would have been at the bottom of a hill so they had us climb up the next hill and turn around at the top.
Road:   Cadence: 93
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: out and back twice, pretty good climb at the beginning of each lap, nice and flat after that and some shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 10:11 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Kansas 5150 Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas 5150 Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5150 Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Corey07
Views: 1572 Posts: 5

2012-05-24 8:39 PM montyzooma

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1716 Posts: 4

2012-05-24 8:36 PM montyzooma

Started by mroger82
Views: 1524 Posts: 2

2012-05-21 9:15 PM m.a.burghart

Started by lisac957
Views: 2475 Posts: 10

2012-05-22 1:25 PM KansasMom

Started by montyzooma
Views: 1844 Posts: 6

2012-05-31 8:45 PM thecaptin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon