General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plant Powered Triathlete(Vegan) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-09 8:00 AM
in reply to: cdamountaineer

New user
Subject: RE: Plant Powered Triathlete(Vegan)

I have been a vegan for over 2 years now but about 10 years ago I started working to become healthy, get fit, lose weight and bring cholesterol down etc. I tried the low carb thing and that didn't do anything other than help me lose just few pounds but once I found out about the whole food plant based diet I gave it a try and all I can say is that it works incredibly well. So well that my seasonal allergies are cured and I don't get sick (colds, flu) any more plus my endurance and strength have increased to a level that I find surprising.

All of my health markers - weight, lipid panel, etc - are better than they have ever been. I give Dr. McDougall a very strong recommendation for you to look up and read up on. Congratulations and welcome to the group.

2014-01-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: cdamountaineer

User image

Exton, PA
changing to a vegan diet is a personnel choice and I believe that most vegans are very healthy. However I believe they are healthy because they are more focused on what they eat then most people not necessarily because they don't eat meat products. I believe the most important thing is to eat a healthy well balanced diet, I think vegans have to be careful to get enough protein and some other minerals/vitamins in there diet.

Diet is also a very personnel subject, if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up. There are a lot of physical and mental ailments that can be attributed to peoples diets, however you never figure that out unless you experiment. Grains and dairy are 2 types of food that some(maybe most) humans are not well adapted to consuming. I think that most vegans(the ones I know/ have talked to) try to stay away from highly processed foods which is probably one of the healthiest things you can do.

One women I knew used to say if there is more than 5 ingredients listed you should not eat it.
2014-01-09 3:01 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

changing to a vegan diet is a personnel choice and I believe that most vegans are very healthy. However I believe they are healthy because they are more focused on what they eat then most people not necessarily because they don't eat meat products. I believe the most important thing is to eat a healthy well balanced diet, I think vegans have to be careful to get enough protein and some other minerals/vitamins in there diet.

Diet is also a very personnel subject, if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up. There are a lot of physical and mental ailments that can be attributed to peoples diets, however you never figure that out unless you experiment. Grains and dairy are 2 types of food that some(maybe most) humans are not well adapted to consuming. I think that most vegans(the ones I know/ have talked to) try to stay away from highly processed foods which is probably one of the healthiest things you can do.

One women I knew used to say if there is more than 5 ingredients listed you should not eat it.

Two things really quickly... 1. "Personal" not "Personnel" & 2. "if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up". Ok, so lets say I'm a meth addict... I really really like meth; you're saying there is no real reason I should give it up!? Lol. I haven't even finished reading your comment and its filled with problems. Will not waste my time in reading the rest.

Also, just as a side note. Why the hell are you posting here anyway? This is a thread started by a person who has made a life change and is extremely happy with it. Why come here and burst their bubble. Useless.
2014-01-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: JohnP89

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Whoa, let's not get snappy here. I think he was just saying it is good to experiment and figure out what works for your body, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Thanks for the support people! I can tell this is going to be an interesting journey. Also, is honey technically not vegan? Bees are insects so does that count?
2014-01-09 5:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by JohnP89
Originally posted by mike761 changing to a vegan diet is a personnel choice and I believe that most vegans are very healthy. However I believe they are healthy because they are more focused on what they eat then most people not necessarily because they don't eat meat products. I believe the most important thing is to eat a healthy well balanced diet, I think vegans have to be careful to get enough protein and some other minerals/vitamins in there diet. Diet is also a very personnel subject, if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up. There are a lot of physical and mental ailments that can be attributed to peoples diets, however you never figure that out unless you experiment. Grains and dairy are 2 types of food that some(maybe most) humans are not well adapted to consuming. I think that most vegans(the ones I know/ have talked to) try to stay away from highly processed foods which is probably one of the healthiest things you can do. One women I knew used to say if there is more than 5 ingredients listed you should not eat it.
Two things really quickly... 1. "Personal" not "Personnel" & 2. "if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up". Ok, so lets say I'm a meth addict... I really really like meth; you're saying there is no real reason I should give it up!? Lol. I haven't even finished reading your comment and its filled with problems. Will not waste my time in reading the rest. Also, just as a side note. Why the hell are you posting here anyway? This is a thread started by a person who has made a life change and is extremely happy with it. Why come here and burst their bubble. Useless.

3. Use "let's" not "lets"

4.  Use "it's" not "its". 

Edited by ingleshteechur 2014-01-09 5:22 PM
2014-01-09 10:21 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Originally posted by mike761 changing to a vegan diet is a personnel choice and I believe that most vegans are very healthy. However I believe they are healthy because they are more focused on what they eat then most people not necessarily because they don't eat meat products. I believe the most important thing is to eat a healthy well balanced diet, I think vegans have to be careful to get enough protein and some other minerals/vitamins in there diet. Diet is also a very personnel subject, if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up. There are a lot of physical and mental ailments that can be attributed to peoples diets, however you never figure that out unless you experiment. Grains and dairy are 2 types of food that some(maybe most) humans are not well adapted to consuming. I think that most vegans(the ones I know/ have talked to) try to stay away from highly processed foods which is probably one of the healthiest things you can do. One women I knew used to say if there is more than 5 ingredients listed you should not eat it.
Two things really quickly... 1. "Personal" not "Personnel" & 2. "if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up". Ok, so lets say I'm a meth addict... I really really like meth; you're saying there is no real reason I should give it up!? Lol. I haven't even finished reading your comment and its filled with problems. Will not waste my time in reading the rest. Also, just as a side note. Why the hell are you posting here anyway? This is a thread started by a person who has made a life change and is extremely happy with it. Why come here and burst their bubble. Useless.

Lol. Lame.

2014-01-09 10:39 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Lol. Lame.

Maybe, but you sure earned it. LOL

2014-01-09 11:10 PM

User image

Pro

I enjoy these threads.  We were a family of 7.....now 5 since two have flown the coup (or maybe I should say we are now 10 but glad half are gone  LOL)....and we are meat eaters.  We buy a side of beef whenever we need it, and we know where the animal has been almost from the day it was born..... what it ate, what medications it got, etc.  It's actually a fabulous way to eat......you can't possibly find leaner beef than we eat.  Here's the rub......one of my twin 13 year old daughters can't stomach the texture of meat......just won't eat it and never has.  She's a vegetarian.  I can't even say it's a choice, but what difference does it make?

We are exercisers.  The kid that won't eat meat is a barrel racer, and jumper, of horses......she's on a horse every day.  The rest of us are runners, triathletes, or just workout junkies....except my wife, she is an exerciser and rider.....a freak of nature.     One of my grown daughters is a board ceritfied nutritionist....and makes her living as such.

Here's what we say.......eating is one of life's greatest pleasures (drinking is a close second.....we're Irish).....so eat what makes you happy.  Enjoy your meals!  It doesn't really matter if it's meat, vegetables, fruit, grain.....whatever.  We think we should eat as little processed food as possible......but the truth is, we don't enjoy that kind of food or drink anyway.  We like real FOOD.  And we love exercise!  And the truth, from my viewpoint, is that you can eat well, and enjoy it in a number of ways, but it's exercise that gives you those great numbers and that great feeling......don't think for a minute it isn't.

Enjoy eating!!  Really.....is there anything better than a great meal?   But keep moving....that's the real deal.

The twins?  Identical in height, weight, and health.....and both love to eat. One meat eater, one vegan, both hell on wheels............go figure.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-09 11:31 PM
2014-01-10 7:32 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Two things really quickly... 1. "Personal" not "Personnel" & 2. "if you like eating meat then there is no real reason to give it up". Ok, so lets say I'm a meth addict... I really really like meth; you're saying there is no real reason I should give it up!? Lol. I haven't even finished reading your comment and its filled with problems. Will not waste my time in reading the rest.

Also, just as a side note. Why the hell are you posting here anyway? This is a thread started by a person who has made a life change and is extremely happy with it. Why come here and burst their bubble. Useless.

You should see someone about your meth addiction, it's making you irritable and close minded!

I paid the lettuce fairy last week to have the right to post on BT about vegan diets

I was not trying to burst any bubbles, and don't think it came across that way if you actually read the post. I believe a well balanced diet is the key to nutrition whether you eat meat or not. I don't believe many people have a good education on what that really is, I also don't believe that a lot of common knowledge on the subject is correct.

All people are different and our heritage is different so our bodies ability to handle foods actually changes from one person to another. You have to be open minded and experiment a little.

Yea my grammar is not always great and I don't always proof read what I write, so sue me.
2014-01-10 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Originally posted by MechEChick

Whoa, let's not get snappy here. I think he was just saying it is good to experiment and figure out what works for your body, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Thanks for the support people! I can tell this is going to be an interesting journey. Also, is honey technically not vegan? Bees are insects so does that count?
Honey is NOT vegan....

Edited by todds 2014-01-10 9:04 AM
2014-01-10 9:12 AM
in reply to: todds

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by todds

Honey is NOT vegan....

Thank you!

2014-01-10 9:32 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.

Originally posted by todds

Honey is NOT vegan....

Thank you!
Your welcome! I have been vegetarian for 3 yrs, vegan for almost that long.....I lost weight before I got to that point, then started losing, again after that. Could still drop a few, but that's not something I worry with. I'm having fun and enjoying the tri lifestyle.....Vegan discussions seem to, often times, get testy. We all are on a journey and should work hard to help each other, when we can, along the way. I've realized that it's just not worth getting all worked up over. This works for me, if it doesn't work for you, or you aren't open to trying it, so be it. I've gotten WAY to hung up in forums, including here on BT, about this subject. It's an important subject to me. It's just not as cut in dry in some people's eyes as "how can I get faster on the bike" type of threads.
2014-01-10 10:39 AM

New user
I think vegans have to be careful to get enough protein and some other minerals/vitamins in there diet.

You couldn't be more wrong...especially with vegans that practice a whole food plant based diet.
2014-01-10 11:09 AM

New user
I believe a well balanced diet is the key to nutrition whether you eat meat or not. I don't believe many people have a good education on what that really is, I also don't believe that a lot of common knowledge on the subject is correct.

I think that for most people the concept of what a well balanced diet is is broken. I have been studying fitness,health and nutrition as a hobby for almost 10 years and I would say you could include yourself in the group of people that are not well educated however I do agree that a lot - if not almost all - common knowledge on the subject is incorrect.

For instance, the idea that vegans or vegetarians need to be careful of protein and other vitamins. These are concepts being sold to us by the companies that want to sell us meat and other animal based products for so long that many people have come to believe them as being true. Further, many people believe that protein can only come from dead animals or that we need to eat dead animals to get a complete protein while neither are true. Truth is a person can live a very healthy life while eating nothing other than vegetables and vitamin supplements are not needed.

All people are different and our heritage is different so our bodies ability to handle foods actually changes from one person to another.

Except for certain cases, the differences are typically very slight but it does make for an easy excuse.
2014-01-10 11:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by 1Dude

I would say you could include yourself in the group of people that are not well educated  

While I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you are saying, is this type of language the best way to get your point across? 

Edited by lisac957 2014-01-10 11:36 AM
2014-01-10 11:45 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

I would say you could include yourself in the group of people that are not well educated  

While I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you are saying, is this type of language the best way to get your point across? 

2014-01-10 11:58 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

New user
Originally posted by Left Brain

I enjoy these threads.  We were a family of 7.....now 5 since two have flown the coup (or maybe I should say we are now 10 but glad half are gone  LOL)....and we are meat eaters.  We buy a side of beef whenever we need it, and we know where the animal has been almost from the day it was born..... what it ate, what medications it got, etc.  It's actually a fabulous way to eat......you can't possibly find leaner beef than we eat.  Here's the rub......one of my twin 13 year old daughters can't stomach the texture of meat......just won't eat it and never has.  She's a vegetarian.  I can't even say it's a choice, but what difference does it make?

We are exercisers.  The kid that won't eat meat is a barrel racer, and jumper, of horses......she's on a horse every day.  The rest of us are runners, triathletes, or just workout junkies....except my wife, she is an exerciser and rider.....a freak of nature.     One of my grown daughters is a board ceritfied nutritionist....and makes her living as such.

Here's what we say.......eating is one of life's greatest pleasures (drinking is a close second.....we're Irish).....so eat what makes you happy.  Enjoy your meals!  It doesn't really matter if it's meat, vegetables, fruit, grain.....whatever.  We think we should eat as little processed food as possible......but the truth is, we don't enjoy that kind of food or drink anyway.  We like real FOOD.  And we love exercise!  And the truth, from my viewpoint, is that you can eat well, and enjoy it in a number of ways, but it's exercise that gives you those great numbers and that great feeling......don't think for a minute it isn't.

Enjoy eating!!  Really.....is there anything better than a great meal?   But keep moving....that's the real deal.

The twins?  Identical in height, weight, and health.....and both love to eat. One meat eater, one vegan, both hell on wheels............go figure.

I agree with some of what you said. Whole foods not processed and if you are going to eat meat it probably should not come from the factory farm and exercise is very important. The human body was designed to be mobile.

My daughter never liked eating meat and if it wasn't for my wife I never would have tried the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle which I now find I fully enjoy and for reasons that go beyond the food itself. I never would have thought it would happen because I was pretty serious meat eater.

Myself and at least one other person in this thread mentioned Dr. McDougall. He is a somewhat well know doctor that has has been pushing the whole food plant based diet for several decades because he has seen first hand how powerful the healing powers are of that diet are (it's actually the diet allowing the human body to heal itself) but even Dr. McDougall states that meat, in moderation, will not by itself lead to an unhealthy diet. But I think Dr. McDougall's idea of moderation with meat is like once a weak.

2014-01-10 12:24 PM
in reply to: 1Dude

User image

Pro

I agree with some of what you said. Whole foods not processed and if you are going to eat meat it probably should not come from the factory farm and exercise is very important. The human body was designed to be mobile. My daughter never liked eating meat and if it wasn't for my wife I never would have tried the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle which I now find I fully enjoy and for reasons that go beyond the food itself. I never would have thought it would happen because I was pretty serious meat eater. Myself and at least one other person in this thread mentioned Dr. McDougall. He is a somewhat well know doctor that has has been pushing the whole food plant based diet for several decades because he has seen first hand how powerful the healing powers are of that diet are (it's actually the diet allowing the human body to heal itself) but even Dr. McDougall states that meat, in moderation, will not by itself lead to an unhealthy diet. But I think Dr. McDougall's idea of moderation with meat is like once a weak.

Yeah, I would bet that once a week for meat probably is considered moderate for someone like Dr. McDougall.  We eat it much more than that....but we also eat large amounts of fruit, vegetables, nuts, and brown rice.....love brown rice. 

I don't have any doubt that I could be healthy on a vegan diet....none at all.  But as it stands, I'm nearly mid 50's, no medications whatsoever, cholesterol is crazy low, same with triglycerides, etc.  My wife is the same.  I like steak....and ribs....and burgers.....and bacon....and fish....and roasts....and shellfish.....and eggs as much as I like fruits and vegetables and nuts and butter and apple pies and cheesecake and beer.  I just enjoy good food.  I think portion control, and cooking your own food, is as big an issue as what you put in your body.....and without a doubt exercise is the great equalizer.

Like I said, I have a daughter who won't eat meat......she's healthy as well.  Though not being as educated about the subject as you are, it's been my experience that what you eat is only one component to a healthy diet and lifestyle.....and what you don't eat may be more of an answer than what you do.  No soda, no white bread, as little processed food as possible. 

Eating well is one of life's greatest pleasures....no matter which way your diet tends toward.

2014-01-10 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
  • ..I think portion control, and cooking your own food, is as big an issue as what you put in your body....

• I will second that. My 95-year-old grandpa is proof of that. The man only got started on daily meds other than vitamins at 93, never weighed more than 170 at 6' tall, has had ice cream nearly every night for at least the past 20 years, was eating frozen dinners for most meals since the early 90s, and loved his processed meats. He was VERY adamant about eating the correct amount though (and now that he has lost what little filter he did have, he points out overweight people and comments on how much they are eating or how they finish everything on their plates). And he walked ALL the time, anywhere and everywhere he could, as well as doing all his own house work until he fell and broke his shoulder at 88.

I don't plan on following his example, but just wanted to point out that obviously there is alot to portion control.

Edited by MechEChick 2014-01-10 12:53 PM
    2014-01-10 1:03 PM
    in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain ...I think portion control, and cooking your own food, is as big an issue as what you put in your body....
    I will second that. My 95-year-old grandpa is proof of that. The man only got started on daily meds other than vitamins at 93, never weighed more than 170 at 6' tall, has had ice cream nearly every night for at least the past 20 years, was eating frozen dinners for most meals since the early 90s, and loved his processed meats. He was VERY adamant about eating the correct amount though (and now that he has lost what little filter he did have, he points out overweight people and comments on how much they are eating or how they finish everything on their plates). And he walked ALL the time, anywhere and everywhere he could, as well as doing all his own house work until he fell and broke his shoulder at 88. I don't plan on following his example, but just wanted to point out that obviously there is alot to portion control.

Yep, it's not easy to find 90 year old fat people.

2014-01-10 2:11 PM
    in reply to: 1Dude

User image

Exton, PA

I believe a well balanced diet is the key to nutrition whether you eat meat or not. I don't believe many people have a good education on what that really is, I also don't believe that a lot of common knowledge on the subject is correct.

I think that for most people the concept of what a well balanced diet is is broken. I have been studying fitness,health and nutrition as a hobby for almost 10 years and I would say you could include yourself in the group of people that are not well educated however I do agree that a lot - if not almost all - common knowledge on the subject is incorrect.

For instance, the idea that vegans or vegetarians need to be careful of protein and other vitamins. These are concepts being sold to us by the companies that want to sell us meat and other animal based products for so long that many people have come to believe them as being true. Further, many people believe that protein can only come from dead animals or that we need to eat dead animals to get a complete protein while neither are true. Truth is a person can live a very healthy life while eating nothing other than vegetables and vitamin supplements are not needed.

All people are different and our heritage is different so our bodies ability to handle foods actually changes from one person to another.

Wow, it looks like you have agreed to most of what I said except to be careful about getting enough proteins, minerals/vitamins; yet you attack me and say I'm not educated. I was replying to the OP who may not have a good idea of what they can eat that is high in protein. Assuming she is working out a lot it, she will need more protein then someone with a who does not. If she would change to a vegan diet but did not actually like a lot of foods that are high in protein this could be an issue.

Except for certain cases, the differences are typically very slight but it does make for an easy excuse.

Excuse for what? What works for one person does not work for another.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plant Powered Triathlete(Vegan) Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Power lifter becoming Triathlete

Started by fubar44
    Views: 2054 Posts: 24

2013-03-22 3:23 PM fubar44

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
    Views: 2395 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
    Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Power Meter benefits for new triathlete Pages: 1 2

Started by cornfed
    Views: 3336 Posts: 29

2010-09-01 2:11 PM Plissken74

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
    Views: 1939 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 4, 2009
    author : jasongootman
    comments : 0
    In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
    In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
    date : December 3, 2008
    What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 1
    Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
    date : April 21, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    If you are a vegetarian looking for a more active lifestyle or a competitive athlete seeking a change in the diet, do not allow a skeptic to convince you that you can’t be an athlete and a vegetarian.

date : April 1, 2008
    author : sportfactory
    comments : 1
    How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
    date : March 17, 2008
    author : CPT
    In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
    author : CPT
    comments : 5
    Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.