General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Suit and Tri gear for a beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-22 9:55 PM

User image

Subject: Swim Suit and Tri gear for a beginner
I am having a difficult time finding a swim suit to train in and wear for my first triathlon in July. I have checked the big box stores for racing suits like Speedo etc. The problem is that I am 6ft tall female.. and the suits in stores are WAY to short for me in the torso and sag too low at the top (collecting water). Any thoughts on where I could find a swim suit online to try out with a decent return policy?

I am open to other suggestions as well. I am currently wearing cycling shorts to cycle in that has a pretty thick pad in the seat. I was told I could get away with swimming in a sports bra and those shorts, but this "Athena" body would not be so comfortable wearing that.

HELP!

2013-05-23 11:00 AM
in reply to: LSUdreamer

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Suit and Tri gear for a beginner
swimoutlet.com. The selection, prices, returns are pretty good. They ship fast and I have only had to return one product to them and it was not a hassle. There's lots of other triathlon websites out there.
2013-05-23 1:07 PM
in reply to: LSUdreamer

I use the cheap tights/shorts from Academy ($12.99), a sleeveless tri top, and sports bra. I do not like whole piece tri suits or swim suits because even though I'm short (5'3") I have a really long torso. My tri top is a men's XS for the length and bigger arm holes. I would recommend trying different shorts and tri tops to get the perfect combination.
2013-05-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
X2 on swimoutlet.com

go ahead and get a decent suit to wear, they have plenty on sale all the time with references to sizing charts on every items page. quick order processing and shipping.

Edited by Clempson 2013-05-23 7:23 PM
2013-07-18 3:33 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

I found a Danskin Tri top/bottom set on Amazon for a decent price... seems to fit my long torso well and doesn't ride up. We shall see in a week how well it works!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Suit and Tri gear for a beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Tri Suit Question

Started by NU_Tri_Guy
Views: 902 Posts: 2

2009-11-22 7:41 AM dalessit

Beginner Tri-athlete needs afforable beginner bike(s)

Started by simhum
Views: 1000 Posts: 4

2009-01-25 10:37 PM nhangen

tri suit vs wet suit

Started by grdavison
Views: 6314 Posts: 4

2008-06-14 12:19 AM owl_girl

tri suit vs. speed suit

Started by Craig686
Views: 1573 Posts: 2

2007-06-12 12:05 AM Broompatrol

newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit

Started by smdnyfl
Views: 1262 Posts: 7

2007-06-15 9:28 AM tri-chic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : May 30, 2005
author : bostic
Swimming has one of the cheapest gear requirements out there. If there’s one necessity any beginner triathlete can’t do without in the pool it’s a good, reliable set of goggles.