General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Folsom Olympic Tri June 9th Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-22 11:06 PM

New user

San Jose, California
Subject: Folsom Olympic Tri June 9th
This will be my first triathlon in Folsom and only my second Olympic tri. Can anyone give me a idea on how the course is. Are there many hills on either the run or bike? I Can't wait, i started doing triathlons last year and are now addicted. See you all there.

2013-05-23 10:28 PM
in reply to: mleec4

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Subject: RE: Folsom Olympic Tri June 9th
I have never actually done this race, but I've lived in the area for roughly 40 years.

The water is usually cold, so make sure you have a wetsuit. Really no current to worry about, as the dam is right there and they won't be letting out anything over the minimum amount of water.

The bike course is mostly on public roads that I doubt will be closed (will be interesting to see how they handle some of the busier roads). No major hills, but you will have rollers. I found a link on ridewithgps.com of the course (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2403240). RideWithGPS is usually high on the elevation totals for rides, and this one is only listed at 438 ft of elevation gain.

The run is relatively flat, once again with some rollers (but nothing major). There will be a decent amount of shade on the course.

Best of luck,

Chris
2013-05-25 2:21 AM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Originally posted by croyston

I have never actually done this race, but I've lived in the area for roughly 40 years.

The water is usually cold, so make sure you have a wetsuit. Really no current to worry about, as the dam is right there and they won't be letting out anything over the minimum amount of water.

The bike course is mostly on public roads that I doubt will be closed (will be interesting to see how they handle some of the busier roads). No major hills, but you will have rollers. I found a link on ridewithgps.com of the course (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2403240). RideWithGPS is usually high on the elevation totals for rides, and this one is only listed at 438 ft of elevation gain.

The run is relatively flat, once again with some rollers (but nothing major). There will be a decent amount of shade on the course.

Best of luck,

Chris

Thanks for the info on the course, Chris! I'm also thinking about doing the Folsom Oly in June. Glad to hear there's some shade on the run. I'm mostly concerned about the heat. But it sounds like it might tolerable in the AM with some shade...

Steve
2013-05-31 3:02 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Looks like you guys are in for a hot one. 10 day forecast has the temperature near 100.

Best of luck to all who are racing. I'd come out and cheer you on, but I'm stuck working that weekend.

Chris
2013-06-06 9:42 PM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all, I did this race last year, and was actually out on the course yesterday. First, it is going to be HOT--they're saying possibly 105+!!! Be careful! As for the course, its is a really good course...The swim is definitely colder than any other open water venues in Sacramento/Folsom areas, but it is actually pretty nice right now--I would still suggest a good ten minute acclimation though. The bike course is well run, they allow traffic on the larger roads; however, when you get to the narrow, 2 lane roads, those are closed to traffic (which is good--I tried training amongst the traffic on them once--BAD idea!) There are some rollers, and one really decent sized hill just about halfway through it, but over all a decent ride. The run is on the bike trail going from Nimbus Flats towards Folsom. I can honestly say, of all the run courses in all the tris I have attempted, this one is by far my favorite. Its not flat, but really not hilly...it is just right...do watch out for rattlesnakes though as they are in the area (I see them on about every run I do there---but I run near dusk..)--They probably won't be out that early in the day, but be aware in any case.

All in all, Folsom is a really well run race, the expo is decent, and it is a lot of fun. Have a great time and good luck with the heat! I will be working sadly, otherwise, I would totally be racing with you!

2013-06-07 2:41 AM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Originally posted by kgore

Hey all, I did this race last year, and was actually out on the course yesterday. First, it is going to be HOT--they're saying possibly 105+!!! Be careful! As for the course, its is a really good course...The swim is definitely colder than any other open water venues in Sacramento/Folsom areas, but it is actually pretty nice right now--I would still suggest a good ten minute acclimation though. The bike course is well run, they allow traffic on the larger roads; however, when you get to the narrow, 2 lane roads, those are closed to traffic (which is good--I tried training amongst the traffic on them once--BAD idea!) There are some rollers, and one really decent sized hill just about halfway through it, but over all a decent ride. The run is on the bike trail going from Nimbus Flats towards Folsom. I can honestly say, of all the run courses in all the tris I have attempted, this one is by far my favorite. Its not flat, but really not hilly...it is just right...do watch out for rattlesnakes though as they are in the area (I see them on about every run I do there---but I run near dusk..)--They probably won't be out that early in the day, but be aware in any case.

All in all, Folsom is a really well run race, the expo is decent, and it is a lot of fun. Have a great time and good luck with the heat! I will be working sadly, otherwise, I would totally be racing with you!

Thanks for all the great info, kgore! Yikes -- 105 + is hot! If anybody lives near Folsom, please turn on your fans Sunday and point them toward the run course! Also, thanks for the warning on the rattlers. I've heard they are more active than usual in NorCal this year because of the heat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Folsom Olympic Tri June 9th Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Folsom Tri Aug 13

Started by Carsonsig
Views: 1567 Posts: 7

2011-07-18 12:41 PM MrSolis

9th Annual Possabilities Tri at Loma Linda

Started by runningfree11
Views: 1232 Posts: 2

2011-03-21 4:07 PM jacobus

elevation in "round the lake" folsom lake?

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 1246 Posts: 3

2010-05-15 9:24 PM kingofbanff

Folsom OWS June 20th

Started by MrSolis
Views: 1000 Posts: 3

2009-06-14 9:11 AM MrSolis

TBF Ice Breaker - Lake Folsom

Started by madkat
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2008-04-11 8:11 PM pipscweek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : August 5, 2009
author : pdxbiker
comments : 2
With my new triathlon goal set, I had to find a pool, set a schedule, ramp up the cycling, and keep up the running.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.