General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nokomis swim is back! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-24 6:53 PM
in reply to: frizbplaya

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Nokomis swim is back!
Swam there yesterday afternoon about 3pm - wore the swim skin and it was perfect! Swam just inside the buoys at the main beach.

Still thinking I'm going to wear the wetsuit tomorrow for the swim across and back.

2013-06-25 9:31 AM
in reply to: PBrr

User image

Minneapolis
Originally posted by PBrr

Swam there yesterday afternoon about 3pm - wore the swim skin and it was perfect! Swam just inside the buoys at the main beach.

Still thinking I'm going to wear the wetsuit tomorrow for the swim across and back.

I think I kayaked right past you! Were you with another swimmer, both with light colored swim caps?
2013-06-25 10:26 AM

Originally posted by frizbplaya

The water was great tonight! There was a good turn out too. Did anyone catch the name of the facebook page for the swims? Someone was saying they're going to post cancellations and stuff on the fb page.

I was able to find the Facebook information. Instead of a page, she just created a profile with the name "Open Swim" I just sent a friend request.
2013-06-25 11:12 AM
in reply to: starseedxo

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by starseedxo
Originally posted by frizbplaya The water was great tonight! There was a good turn out too. Did anyone catch the name of the facebook page for the swims? Someone was saying they're going to post cancellations and stuff on the fb page.
I was able to find the Facebook information. Instead of a page, she just created a profile with the name "Open Swim" I just sent a friend request.

Thank you!

2013-06-25 4:03 PM

User image

Hi, on the chance I randomly meet any of you. I'll be there tonight right around 5:30pm. I'm coming on my beater bike dressed in my blue TCMC tri suit which should make for a nice contrast.
2013-06-25 9:34 PM

User image

New user
I was by myself, in my bright pink swim cap from Trinona.

2013-07-02 3:51 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Regular
Apple Valley
Planning to be out swimming at Nokomis tonight at 5:30pm.
Wearing a tall Zoot sleeveless, an orange cap and a goatee.

Haven't signed on in a few months, and the whole BT site has changed.. Boo..
Bigger font, seems to take more clicks to do the same thing... worse of all, I can't easily snoop on other people's
race and training schedules. *Sigh.*

Cheerios,
~Karl, (I mean, Scuff)
2013-07-02 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by scuff Planning to be out swimming at Nokomis tonight at 5:30pm. Wearing a tall Zoot sleeveless, an orange cap and a goatee. Haven't signed on in a few months, and the whole BT site has changed.. Boo.. Bigger font, seems to take more clicks to do the same thing... worse of all, I can't easily snoop on other people's race and training schedules. *Sigh.* Cheerios, ~Karl, (I mean, Scuff)

I will see you there, for sure.

If you hover over a person's picture, a menu pops up where you can click on "Go to Training Log".  That's the quickest way to snoop.

2013-07-02 4:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Stuck here, waiting for the Centerpoint Energy guy to show up to fix our AC. Wanted to see if anyone found my hot pink Trinona cap, plus its a perfect night for a swim, too! *pouts*

Edited by PBrr 2013-07-02 4:43 PM
2013-07-02 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
I went for the first time! I'm so excited it was the first time I've swam across a lake without a wetsuit on. Sounds silly but I really needed to do that before Mpls Tri.
2013-07-02 10:27 PM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

New user
Another great evening for the nokomis swim. I was speaking with the lifeguard who coordinates the swim (Sarah I think) about the swim and the topic of the buoys or lack thereof came up. She suggested that if some people brought this up and emailed the powers to be, it would help show a need for a bit of funding to perhaps get some decent buoys out there to keep things organized.

While I guess they can't directly ask people to contact the higher ups through facebook, she suggested emailing customer service of minneapolis parks and rec or other avenues,

Like anything else, if no one says anything it is hard to get something changed. I am sure the funding is there, they just need to be able to show that there is an interest and need through numbers in order to justify it. With the turnout that I saw while I was there, I don't see how this should be a problem.

Anyways, I plan on writing a quick email. perhaps if others have a few minutes to write one as well it could turn into something. Just throwing that out there.

2013-07-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: WeThereYet

User image

Minneapolis
Originally posted by WeThereYet

Another great evening for the nokomis swim. I was speaking with the lifeguard who coordinates the swim (Sarah I think) about the swim and the topic of the buoys or lack thereof came up. She suggested that if some people brought this up and emailed the powers to be, it would help show a need for a bit of funding to perhaps get some decent buoys out there to keep things organized.

While I guess they can't directly ask people to contact the higher ups through facebook, she suggested emailing customer service of minneapolis parks and rec or other avenues,

Like anything else, if no one says anything it is hard to get something changed. I am sure the funding is there, they just need to be able to show that there is an interest and need through numbers in order to justify it. With the turnout that I saw while I was there, I don't see how this should be a problem.

Anyways, I plan on writing a quick email. perhaps if others have a few minutes to write one as well it could turn into something. Just throwing that out there.

Great idea! It makes me nervous that people are swimming both directions in the same space. It doesn't take long to catch up to someone coming straight at you, even with good sighting.
2013-07-03 8:54 AM

User image

Regular
Apple Valley
Warm water last night - yay! The most enjoyable OWS for me this year.
And it's growing in popularity too - When I left the parking lot, there was a line of 13 people waiting at the APM (automated parking machine?)

While I REALLY appreciate the effort of adding bouys..They were really hard to see while in the water..
I was sighting off the lifeguards and kayaks. Not as reliable for position, but were MUCH easier to see.
Apparently it was difficult for others as well.. the traffic lane across was pretty good, but the return line was scattered..
(return into the sun doesn't help.)

Did anyone do a bouy count last night - were their 6? or 8?
One think I've learned when working with clients is they often want a hard number.. how many and how much $.
When writing to the parks - a link, or suggestion to a product might be helpful.. dunno if there is a "policy" on colors, but I think
something like this 20" yellow bouy might do the trick.
2013-07-03 2:11 PM
in reply to: scuff

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Scuff - I saw you from afar, but I was late getting to the beach so I couldn't get down to the water right when everyone else started.  I never did see you again.

I actually though the buoys were better than ever last night, I could sight on the green "barbell" buoys all of the way over.  Actually I couldn't figure out why everyone was swimming so side, I stuck right by them.  I did see a few people drift over, but I am afraid they were sighting so poorly only a rope would have stopped them.   On the way back, into the sun, I feel is easier.  The sun's reflection on the first row of cars is a great target for sighting.  Also, following the crowd.

Too bad about that one guy who likes to boat across or a gigantic lane line would be superb.

I am all for contacting them, although I found the "[email protected]" or whatever their main contact to be sadly lacking in follow-up.  So if anyone hits upon a good contact, let me know and I will send a message.  The buoys could definitely be bigger.  Unless the lake is totally flat, which is impossible once you get a bunch of folks swimming, the shorter barbell markers can easily disappear.

2013-07-03 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
P.S. I was stunned by the crowd size.  Last year, by this time, the crowd was maybe a handful at a time. Although I do think folks caught on that are swimming at the Lifetime Tri and it will probably drop off after that.
2013-07-09 9:23 PM

User image

New user
It was packed tonight! People were showing up about 6:30ish, and were told if they wanted to swim out and back, to do it right then.

I have noticed more women practicing for the YWCA Tri next month, too.

2013-08-14 1:58 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Last night was the first Tuesday I could make it there, and I loved it. Too bad there is only one more left this year.
2013-08-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by jlruhnke Last night was the first Tuesday I could make it there, and I loved it. Too bad there is only one more left this year.

Wow, time flies.  I am going to plan on going next week for the last one. 

2013-08-14 4:25 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

New user
It was great last night - water was just the right temp. Last one of the season for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nokomis swim is back! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Free, authorized, open swim at Nokomis (outside buoys!!!) Pages: 1 2

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 5415 Posts: 39

2012-08-27 3:34 PM Hydro

"Triathlete busted swimming across Lake Nokomis" - Strib article Pages: 1 2

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 6008 Posts: 30

2008-08-27 1:53 PM leapdog

OWS Memorial Sunday morning at Nokomis

Started by AcesFull
Views: 845 Posts: 2

2008-05-26 8:25 PM rabkaman

Lake Nokomis and Drowning

Started by dingorock
Views: 1423 Posts: 6

2006-09-13 9:22 AM usasportstraining

Nokomis OW Swim Monday morning May 29?

Started by Denise2003
Views: 858 Posts: 5

2006-05-29 8:31 AM AcesFull
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : January 17, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : May 18, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I've just got back in the pool from a 2 week break and my triceps are killing me the whole time I am swimming. Wondering if someone has any ideas or tips to correct?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the kicking on your back swim drill.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.

date : July 4, 2006
author : acbadger
We have used the past six months to build endurance and strength on the bike and in the pool. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming speed and run/walking.