BT Development NOT Bugs, Enhancements » UPDATED FRIENDS LIST!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-24 12:14 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: UPDATED FRIENDS LIST!!!

You BT'ers are a fickle group.  Wink  That's one thing about a redesign, I use things a certain way not even knowing how others do.  The main complaint on the first redesign of the friends page was that it:

• - was more difficult to inspire...many more clicks
  • - you couldn't 'surf' friends lists from training logs - one function I honestly didn't know that was how it was used.  I do now.
  • - not real intuitive

The initial reason for making the friends it's own page was that the 'old way', the friends page was buried in the settings page.  And that was the only way to 'add a friend'.  PITA.  Also as the friends feature took off over the years...Whizzzz...yes...WHIZZZZ kept asking me for the ability to 'have more friends'.  Many users friends sidebar grew...and grew...and grew.....  It was a bizarre training blog once you got to the friends list...a skinny section of friends continuing to infinity.  That was my reasons for making it a separate page.

I got it wrong.  I didn't understand that many used it to surf friends.

Let me try to one-up you.  Here is our V1.1 of the new friends page.  Perhaps the ability to have a dashboard of all friends and their inspires (and new inspires) AND the ability to inspire from the friends page will trump any remaining issues.  THIS ALSO INCLUDES links to your friend's friends AND 'people that have you as a friend'.  I think I have 'mostly' covered your wants.

Take it for a spin for a week.  Give it a chance.  Though, of course, I am still fine with criticism. This is an important part of the site and I want to do get it right for you.  ( If I must, I will hang my head in shame again )

DIRECT LINK TO FRIENDS

*though there 'may' be issues, performance, what-not.  But a few of us tested and for the most part, it worked as advertised though let us know if any bugs with this.

(1-Inspires.jpg)

(2-Inspires.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1-Inspires.jpg (227KB - 81 downloads)
2-Inspires.jpg (134KB - 18 downloads)

2013-05-24 12:52 AM
in reply to: Ron

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-24 6:06 AM
in reply to: Teejaay

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: UPDATED FRIENDS LIST!!!
Love the one click to get to training logs, but when I click the user name and get to the log, the inspire box also pops up?  I need to read the log before I inspire and I can't move it like you used to be able to, so still an extra click to close it out...
2013-05-24 6:51 AM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Are we supposed to see a link on our main log that takes us to friends?  I don't see it and I have cleared cache on Chrome 26.0.
2013-05-24 6:52 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

Bronze member

Originally posted by Hildebeast Love the one click to get to training logs, but when I click the user name and get to the log, the inspire box also pops up?  I need to read the log before I inspire and I can't move it like you used to be able to, so still an extra click to close it out...

Love, love, love the changes! I've been hopping around and sending inspires all morning. I have gotten used to having  friends on their own page so that does not bother me at all anymore. I see your point about those long lists in the training log that went on forever. And I just realized how much easier it is too add friends. I quit adding people as friends on the old BT just because I never wanted to take the time to do it. Now it is just one click - awesome. AND viewing who has me as a friend is so easy too!

Agree though that the inspire box popping up first thing is a bit annoying. I also like to read about a persons week before I write anything in an inspire or it would always be the same generic "good job on your training" thing.

Really, really happy with the changes though!

2013-05-24 6:55 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

Bronze member

Originally posted by SSMinnow Are we supposed to see a link on our main log that takes us to friends?  I don't see it and I have cleared cache on Chrome 26.0.

I don't have a direct link in my training log. I just use the friends tab under community and it takes me right there. You can also click that big blue heading in Ron's message marked "Direct Link to Friends".

2013-05-24 7:18 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

THANK YOU!!!

My only comment is that when that inspire opens up it can cover the workout / blog comments that are there and it isn't something we can "drag" to another part of the screen so we can actually look at what we may want to comment on.   Otherwise--A huge THUMBS UP!!

2013-05-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

Queen BTich
Great job, Ron! I *LOVE* the red icon showing how many, or new, inspires they have. That's a quick visual for me, if I see a really high number, that something is going on in their log.

My one main complaint, is that I don't like that the inspire box pops up automatically when I click on my friends name. I want to read their logs first, then decide if I want to inspire. To me, just trying it out, I don't like having to close that automatic inspire pop up to read the blog. But, that's my opinion.

Something else to think about, if I'm on a page of someone not a friend, there is no link in their profile to see their friends. How do I get to their friends from their profile page, or from in their logs?

Also, I'm getting an "add to friends" button for people who are my friends. Pretty minor, but if they are already my friends, can it be fixed to say "my friends" and take me to their friends list?

Edited by Comet 2013-05-24 7:31 AM
2013-05-24 7:37 AM
in reply to: Comet

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

One of the reasons that BT is one of the best sites around is the responsiveness to user needs -- Ron, it really speaks to what you're trying to build here that you're so good about taking suggestions and turning it around and giving us even MORE than what we wanted.  

I second absolutely LOVING being able to see the number of inspires on a persons log!

I would agree that the link underneath the avatar to "Go to Training Log" should just go there and not open the inspire box.

And a question about inspires:  when I add one, there's now a date at the top "5/24/2013 : 5/24/2013" ... not exactly sure what that's denoting?  If it's the day the inspire is on, then why not just one date instead of repeating it?  

2013-05-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: StartingToTri

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is so much easier already!

I'm with everyone else who says that the inspire box doesn't need to open when you click the direct link - just their training log is fine. Also, I'd like to see a link to their friends in that list next to their picture on their training log (maybe like Haley said - instead of "Add Friend" if they're already my friend).

Thanks for listening Ron.
2013-05-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: Stacers

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks so much! I was able to easily view my friends Training Log. Yes!

I agree with the inspire box not automatically popping up when you click on the name, but otherwise it is awesome!

2013-05-24 10:10 AM
in reply to: KSH

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ron, I noticed that if I click on the person's pic in my friends list that I get the Training Log, Album, Race Log, etc. list and the ability to see their profile by hovering over their picture on the right. But it took me to my profile when I clicked it. I agree with the inspire box covering the training log that was mentioned by others as well.

However, I also echo the statement I've seen here a few times, Thank You! Both for your willingness to listen and for acting on the wishes of the users.

2013-05-24 10:13 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
WAIT! I just got it to work! I clicked on my friend's photo on the FRIENDS page and IT TOOK ME TO THE FRIEND'S BLOG. It worked. This is a huge step in the right direction. Huge. Thank you.
2013-05-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

Master
Sin City
Going in the right direction Ron!! You are KING...:-)

Suggestions... If anyone don't like it, that's good, I want to know.

1 - When clicking on a photo in forum, takes you to their training log. This will reduce the need of weird tablet problem. I think the majority of us just want to see the training log because many questions are related "Am I doing enough? Check out my training log". I think the Profile Page is less used.

2 - under Last workouts - change it to Last 10 workouts maybe a "see more" link?, instead of just 5. Many of us have 30-50 friends, and it'll be extremely helpful for the mentors to see the previous workouts of their group members, to make it easier. Some people do two or three workouts in that day, and that takes up the "5" slots. I prefer to see that FIRST than "Last Posts".

2a - I'm not sure if this is even possible, but if a friend made a comment on their workouts, there should be a tab under their workout to "see comments". Kind of like "expand" menu option? That way I *think* we can check out what they did, how they felt, etc and do inspires on the SAME page vs the extra clicks in order to see their Training Log, then see the workouts, then give inspire on that.

2b - Add "Last Friends' Blog entries" :-D The only problem I see is if someone add pictures or different HTML formatting. Can do something like a [Pic Link] and person can click on the link to take them to the Training Log of that person in order to see pictures.

3 - I may be a nitpick, but I prefer to see "Last Friends' Workouts", "Last Friends' Posts", but that's just me.

Keep the excellent work!

2013-05-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: CyborgQueen

Bronze member
So I'm having this overwhelming urge to inspire my whole friends list so everyone has a red number.....
2013-05-24 11:15 AM
in reply to: trigal38

Master
Sin City
Originally posted by trigal38

So I'm having this overwhelming urge to inspire my whole friends list so everyone has a red number.....

lol! Me too!! Seeing all those 0's makes me feel bad!!

2013-05-24 11:32 AM
in reply to: CyborgQueen

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

THANK YOU RON!

Another vote for not needing/wanting the inspire box to automatically open. 

2013-05-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Regular
Chicago

I like the changes and also one more vote for not having the inspire box automatically open.

One more suggestion - when you click on someone's pic it takes you to their profile page. On their profile page, could you include another link to take someone to his or her training log? When I'm at someone's profile page it seems like a dead-end.

Or just have the pic link take you to his or her training log?

2013-05-24 12:00 PM
in reply to: doxie

Queen BTich
Originally posted by doxie

One more suggestion - when you click on someone's pic it takes you to their profile page. On their profile page, could you include another link to take someone to his or her training log? When I'm at someone's profile page it seems like a dead-end.

Or just have the pic link take you to his or her training log?

Yes. This is a big thing. it is happening, especially to someone who is not your friend. It seem the Profile page is a complete dead end. The only way I have found to get to said persons log, is to look at their 'recent posts' in the forums, then go to that post, THEN from there, highlight their name to get the menu box to pop up to click on their training log. Way too many steps.

2013-05-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: doxie

Champion

Clicking on the username below the pic takes you to log and opens up inspire me

Clicking on the icon with number opens it up directly on the page without going to freinds log.

I may need make that a little more clear somehow as avatar name don't usually work that way (going to log and opening up inspire box).  But I do have to ask, aren't there cases where you would want to 'just view the inspire box' and not go back to their log?  Stay on the friends page and just view/update inspires? Example, it's later in the day, you have been there...you just want to get caught up on any new inspires...?

2013-05-24 12:07 PM

Champion
Bronze member
Love the work on the Friends page!! Thanks.

2013-05-24 12:08 PM

Queen BTich
Originally posted by Ron

Clicking on the icon with number opens it up directly on the page without going to freinds log.

I may need make that a little more clear somehow as avatar name don't usually work that way (going to log and opening up inspire box).  But I do have to ask, aren't there cases where you would want to 'just view the inspire box' and not go back to their log?  Stay on the friends page and just view/update inspires? Example, it's later in the day, you have been there...you just want to get caught up on any new inspires...?

I think that the RED icon for the new inspires is great! It brings up the inspires without the whole log. Love that.

But in general, if I'm clicking on a friend,or friend-of-friend, I just want to read the log, then decide to inspire. I really do not like the automatic inspiring box popping up.

Can we get a "Friends list" tab/button and a "training log" button on the profile pages? I feel like it's a dead end.

2013-05-24 12:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: Comet

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by Comet
Originally posted by Ron

I think that the RED icon for the new inspires is great! It brings up the inspires without the whole log. Love that.

But in general, if I'm clicking on a friend,or friend-of-friend, I just want to read the log, then decide to inspire. I really do not like the automatic inspiring box popping up.

Can we get a "Friends list" tab/button and a "training log" button on the profile pages? I feel like it's a dead end.

Totally agree with this.  It's really weird to just have the inspire box open up without being taken to the log to see what's going on. 

2013-05-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: Artemis

Champion
Points taken.  We are going to divert to a few other bugs and issues now...let's let this simmer since it's a lot more usable, then I will come back and revise this another time.  As you use it another week...please give me any new thoughts on the function of this page.
New Thread
BT Development NOT Bugs, Enhancements » UPDATED FRIENDS LIST!!! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Race List

Started by prieto539
Views: 833 Posts: 3

2013-05-30 8:35 PM Ron

PLEASE fix friends

Started by Socks
Views: 1324 Posts: 11

2013-05-24 2:05 PM Whizzzzz

Last activity does not list name

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 713 Posts: 3

2013-05-27 4:51 PM Ron

Bulleted list in forum posts

Started by jmkizer
Views: 1907 Posts: 13

2013-10-17 8:15 AM Ron

Training plan lists

Started by cathyd
Views: 920 Posts: 3

2013-05-24 12:30 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : mcinTri2010
comments : 10
It has been a bucket list item for years...something to do before I'm 25. Okay, maybe I'll push that to 30. Okay, maybe I'll let it go altogether.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mscotthall
comments : 5
I have compiled a list of the eleven most important things, in my opinion, that I have learned in my first three months as a triathlete and a BT member. Hopefully you find this useful.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports