General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kicking at all speeds and moving rearward! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-25 12:42 PM

Subject: Kicking at all speeds and moving rearward!
When one holds a kickboard in front, then kicks slowly but moves rearward, what do you tell that person?

2013-05-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: RE: Kicking at all speeds and moving rearward!
Likely the person si not kicking with straight legs. Bending in the knees produce no propulsion but loads of drag. Also, lack of flex in the ankles, I can imagine this will work like a shovel kicking water the wrong direction. But really, wrong technique. If you can't spot it from the deck, get in the water and see what's going on.
2013-05-25 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
I'd bet on the ankle flexibility. Give this a try sometime - go in and do a kick set but, instead of pointing your toes like you normally would, keep your toes pulled up towards your shin as much as possible (exactly the thing you wouldn't want to do if you wanted an effective kick). When I do it, I can move backwards while kicking.
2013-05-25 10:15 PM

User image

Same thing happened to me when I started swimming. My problem was that my toes weren't flexed out behind me but pointed down toward the bottom of the pool. It is apparently common for those from a running background. I used zoomers and worked on flexing my ankles to improve it.
2013-05-25 10:53 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
This is very common.

Most often for triathletes, it's "runner's kick". That means that the ankle is stiff and all the kick moves the person backwards (and up). Kicking, in those cases, will make the swimmer slower and more tired.

The cure, however, is three fold.

1) More kicking, especially to increase ankle flexibility and proper kick form
2) balance drills (so that kick isn't as needed to stay afloat/on top of water
3) drills to integrate kick into the swim.

This doesn't mean that the result or goal is to kick a lot during races, but a lot of work on this weakness can net huge results for the rest of the swim. There's no way to totally avoid kicking in a triathlon swim, so this work will help make the little kicking done be a kick that will move the swimmer forward rather than backward.
2013-05-26 6:55 AM
in reply to: xrodolfox

Originally posted by xrodolfox

This is very common.

Most often for triathletes, it's "runner's kick". That means that the ankle is stiff and all the kick moves the person backwards (and up). Kicking, in those cases, will make the swimmer slower and more tired.

The cure, however, is three fold.

1) More kicking, especially to increase ankle flexibility and proper kick form
2) balance drills (so that kick isn't as needed to stay afloat/on top of water
3) drills to integrate kick into the swim.

This doesn't mean that the result or goal is to kick a lot during races, but a lot of work on this weakness can net huge results for the rest of the swim. There's no way to totally avoid kicking in a triathlon swim, so this work will help make the little kicking done be a kick that will move the swimmer forward rather than backward.

"There's no way to totally avoid kicking in a triathlon swim"

I believe the use of wetsuit with thick rubber on the legs will benefit this individual greatly. So much that the legs can just drag along without any issue. What drills to integrate the kick into the swim if kicking in the horizontal position is useless?

2013-05-26 8:07 AM
in reply to: 0

...What drills to integrate the kick into the swim if kicking in the horizontal position is useless?

Here's one to try:
First put on a pair of fairly long fins. A snorkel is also useful for this drill. In fact, use snorkel gear if you have it, it's easier to make your movements slo-mo.

Face-down, kick very slowly from the hips and glutes, allowing the whole body to rock from side to side. When you rock onto the left side, slide your left arm forward into a streamline position above your head. Slide it back as you rock onto your right side and slide your right arm up into streamline. You'll be doing a sort of slow motion dog paddle.

After doing this for a few lengths, recover the arm up above the water before putting it into the streamline position. (You'll be doing a catch-up between the two arms, with one still out in front as the other enters the water.) Keep it slow. Use the lane with the head-up breast strokers if necessary. After a while you can bring in a rhythm. If you want to do a two-beat kick (which is GREAT for those of us with poor ankle flexibility, as it gets in the way a lot less) keep alternating from leg to leg. If you want to learn a six-beat kick, slightly exaggerate every third kick. (LEFT right left, RIGHT left right....)
Hope this helps.

Edited by Seabeast 2013-05-26 8:09 AM
2013-05-26 11:32 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I would tell them to check out the Kick section for Beginners on

http://www.swimsmooth.com

and DO IT.

2013-05-26 8:39 PM

this is the swimsmooth link for kicking: http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.html

It is not in the beginner section.
2013-05-27 3:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Billyk this is the swimsmooth link for kicking: http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.htmlIt is not in the beginner section.

You are correct. It's actually in the intermediate section--this assumes you can, more or less, not drown and move somewhat forward in something that resembles front crawl. (In my head, that's a beginning triathlon swimmer, but overall from learning to swim outright, that would be intermediate).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kicking at all speeds and moving rearward! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two beat kick vs Flutter Kick

Started by gohmdoree
Views: 3894 Posts: 16

2012-06-28 12:23 PM Oldteen

Kicking & Not Kicking - 50yd Difference Experiment

Started by trimore
Views: 1663 Posts: 9

2008-11-07 12:52 PM nevergivin

Kicking vs. Running Speed

Started by So Fresh So Clean
Views: 1456 Posts: 22

2007-10-23 6:47 PM SwimGuy

9 speed vs 10 speed Cassettes

Started by mnewton
Views: 1995 Posts: 6

2005-04-22 3:39 PM Lookingtoride

12 Speed VS 16 Speed, or Whatever

Started by fromer
Views: 1407 Posts: 7

2004-06-25 12:26 AM fromer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the six/three kick swim drill

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : June 17, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.

date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 5, 2007
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.