General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat training when it's not hot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-14 10:41 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Heat training when it's not hot

OK, so I live and work in a unique meteorlogical place.  The hotter it is at home, the cooler it is where I work.  When I'm at work, it's generally in the 60s, maybe as high as the mid-70s.  All the while, at my home, the temps are in the mid-90s.  But, when I get home in the evenings, the temps drop rapidly and are usually in the 50s - 60s.

The race I did last Sunday was in 100+ weather, and is promising to be as hot (if not hotter) next month? 

How in the world am I supposed to do any real heat training?  Is going out on the weekends enough?

Would wearing more clothing help? 

2006-07-15 12:00 AM
in reply to: #483377

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Heat training when it's not hot
Just get it wear you can.  I don't recommend wearing more close, doesn't really simulate hot weather conditions.
2006-07-15 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
I read a story in either Runner's World or the latest Tri mag that some of the more successful athletes will train on the treadmill or trainer in a room with a heater.

My personal philosophy running/biking in Oklahoma [all 100s this week] is getting acclimated to the heat takes time. When I continually train outdoors throughout the spring and into summer, I know by August, I can take the 100s. My training partners have tried "cramming" for the heat by not training outdoors until the week prior to a race and that does not work.

It seems most people don't like the heat and therefore won't train in it only to be absolutely miserable during a race. I think it just takes getting used to over time. It's still not fun but it becomes quite tolerable.

Chap
2006-07-15 3:06 PM
in reply to: #483471

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Thanks.  If I was home during the heat of the day, I'd be more than happy to get out in it and train.  It only makes sense to train under the same conditions that you'll be racing in.

But I can't be here during the day.  And the "heat of the day" in San Francisco is barely warm.  

I've heard the stories of people who've trained for Death Valley runs by setting up a treadmill in the boiler room.  

I guess I'll just have to get out on the weekends and hope that it will be enough.

2006-07-15 4:12 PM

User image

IMHO wearing long sleeves and warmer clothes will help but still may not be enough,,,, something is better than nothing though. Also IMHO it takes about two weeks to acclimate to the hot weather.

2006-07-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: #483393

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
parrj - 2006-07-14 11:00 PM

Just get it wear you can.  I don't recommend wearing more close, doesn't really simulate hot weather conditions.

I agree that it doesn't fully simulate hot weather conditions, but it can help a little bit. You need to get your body used to trying to keep itself cool when it's hot out, and wearing extra clothing forces your body to try and sort out that process a little bit if that is your only options.

The changes that take place are due to changes in hormone production, kidney function, salt retention and sweat gland electrolyte reabsorption/secretion. all of these changes are physiological and take time, and therefore heat training cannot be "crammed". Best (or adequate) results would be seen with at least 2-3 days a week of progressive training in the heat for at least 2-3 weeks. Longer is obviously better, and "real conditions" are better, but if you need to try and simulate heat by wearing long sleeves, just use common sense. Be sure you're hydrated, don't start out wearign yoru 6 mil wetsuit! A long sleeve t-shirt for starters and if you tolerate that well, you can add thicker layer.

If no other options wrok, definately do the weekend rides adn that will be better than nothing.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat training when it's not hot Rss Feed