General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike aid station question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 12:22 AM

User image

Subject: Bike aid station question
I'm new to HIM and IM that I'll be doing soon and as it's getting closer, I'm getting more and more worried about some things...

For the drinks on a bike, are you supposed to bring your own filled water bottles and then refill them at aid stations or do you swap out actual bottles at aid stations? I guess my main concern/question is how do bike aid stations work? My shorter triathlons didn't really have any (that I remember at least) and my 1-2 bottles I had prepared on the bike were enough for me but that won't be the case going forward.

2013-05-27 12:32 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Bike aid station question
you start off with your own bottle(s), filled with whatever hydration you choose.

then at the bike aid station, there is a bottle handoff, where you pick up a filled bottle (typically water, perform, or gatorade)

if you plan on exchanging, you toss your empty bottle prior to the getting the new one (yes you lose your water bottle).

remember when you come in for a bottle, slow down and be careful. this is a congested place with water on the road, it can be dangerous!
2013-05-27 7:47 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
I just went by a gas station and bought a water bottle and Gatorade with a that fit in my bottle cage. I didn't want to throw away a good bottle. I also froze the water bottle so it would be somewhat cold when I started the bike. Be sure and slow down. I went in to fast at one and nearly took my shoulder off on the hand off.
2013-05-27 8:39 AM

User image

I worked the first bike aide station at Ironman Fl 70,3 in Haynes city last weekend. As you approach the aid station there should be an area where you can throw your used bottles, please do not throw them on the road. Once your bottles are gone the volunteers should yelling out what they have either water or sport drink, others will have food, you do not need to get off your bike or stop there should be plenty of people handing out supplies that if you miss one go to the next. As you approach a volunteer either point at the supply you want or make eye contact or tell us we don't read minds. I found that running with the bottle in the palm of my hand and allowing the rider to take it out worked best. I also tried to make sure that the sport tops were already opened when i handed them off. If you need to stop just make sure that your out of the way of other riders. We tried to make sure that we where spread out far enough to make it safe for riders coming in to get supplies. Hope this helps
2013-05-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: SgtMojo

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Make sure you practice handoffs if you are planning on using them.
2013-05-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: wolfador

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'll reinforce the previous comment- reach out your hand towards the volunteer with your preferred beverage. Also call out your choice to the volunteer so they're sure you're coming to them. You will have to slow down but don't slow to a crawl; that will make the aid station dangerous for other cyclists around you.

Make sure you toss your used bottle at the designated point before the aid station... it's difficult to have a bottle in one hand and figure out how to get rid of the one already in the cage!

One other tip if it's a hot race... if you have a water bottle that's more than half empty it's a great idea to spray it all over yourself to cool down as you approach the aid station, then grab a fresh one.

2013-05-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: wbattaile

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wbattaile

One other tip if it's a hot race... if you have a water bottle that's more than half empty it's a great idea to spray it all over yourself to cool down as you approach the aid station, then grab a fresh one.

That is a good tip to use what water you have left.

Like others have said, pick up like an arrowhead water or 2 and use that till you get to the first aid station. For IMCDA, I will have my aero bottle and then one regular arrowhead water or whatever I get at the store. I plan on chucking that, and grabbing maybe 2 waters, 1 to refill my aero bottle and the other for the cage on the seat tube.

And yes slow down but don't slow down too much. Call out what you want, make eye contact etc etc. And don't get mad at the VOLUNTEERS should something get dropped. They don't even have to be there to hand out supplies.
2013-06-02 8:10 PM
in reply to: wbattaile

New user

Annapolis
Originally posted by wbattaile

Remember to drink the sport drink, and spray the water on you and not vice versa.

-Rip
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike aid station question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aid station questions for HIM & IM

Started by cafenervosa
Views: 993 Posts: 8

2010-08-15 5:18 AM newbz

Bike aid stations (yet another noob question)

Started by rasmussenreg
Views: 7979 Posts: 20

2012-07-18 4:05 PM Hydro

Questions Regarding Half-Ironman Aid Stations

Started by kmill23
Views: 2512 Posts: 8

2008-09-11 1:36 PM jldicarlo

Newbie Question on Bike Aid Station

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 1058 Posts: 3

2008-04-30 6:18 PM Aikidoman

Aid stations on the bike...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1151 Posts: 17

2005-01-31 3:57 PM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
NSAIDs are now starting to be used as an ergogenic aid to enhance performance especially before and during long endurance races and longer training sessions. Is this safe?

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.