General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanna feel good? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-27 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Wanna feel good?
About the shape you are in? Just go to Disney Wolrd. Sheesh.

2013-05-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Subject: RE: Wanna feel good?
The first time I went to Disney World it was 1979. I went back a few years ago and man, have things changed. I could not believe the size of those turkey legs they were selling for $9 (?!). I am 5'6" and 131 lbs, boy, was I the outlier on the bell curve of the typical person I saw there.
2013-05-27 12:06 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
I hear ya.  I work in a hospital, and walking those halls can make you very grateful and very ready for your next training session.
2013-05-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Haha, we were talking about that this weekend - and we went more than 2 years ago.

I was shocked at the number of mobility scooters - especially the ones where parents were driving them with kids on their laps ... the worst had to be waiting for a bus back to the resort when these ladies on scooters butted in front of a girl with serious disabilities who has clearly suffering in the heat. The bus only fits so many scooters/wheelchairs. So sad. I wanted to go tear a strip off them.

Definitely felt very fit and in shape there.
2013-05-27 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by switch

I hear ya.  I work in a hospital, and walking those halls can make you very grateful and very ready for your next training session.

I don't know if you are referring to the patients or staff but...I had hip surgery 7 weeks ago (cycling accident) and was amazed at the number of obese nurses. At least 40-50% were overweight by some common measure. Really surprised me.

2013-05-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Stuartap
Originally posted by switch I hear ya.  I work in a hospital, and walking those halls can make you very grateful and very ready for your next training session.
I don't know if you are referring to the patients or staff but...I had hip surgery 7 weeks ago (cycling accident) and was amazed at the number of obese nurses. At least 40-50% were overweight by some common measure. Really surprised me.

Sorry about your hip :/  How's it feeling?

I agree!  It's amazing to me how many people in healthcare seem unhealthy.  I was thinking mostly about the patients when I posted, but there are certainly a lot of staff who are overweight and/or unfit.

Most of the health problems I see could be avoided with diet modification, exercise and not smoking.  So simple, so not happening.

2013-05-27 2:23 PM

Originally posted by Oysterboy

It's cheaper to go to WalMart and you get the same feeling.
2013-05-27 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Stuartap
Originally posted by switch I hear ya.  I work in a hospital, and walking those halls can make you very grateful and very ready for your next training session.

Sorry about your hip :/  How's it feeling?

I agree!  It's amazing to me how many people in healthcare seem unhealthy.  I was thinking mostly about the patients when I posted, but there are certainly a lot of staff who are overweight and/or unfit.

Most of the health problems I see could be avoided with diet modification, exercise and not smoking.  So simple, so not happening.

The hip is feeling better. Hopefully this Friday my doctor will ok PT. Then a 4 month wait to see if sufficient blood flow was restored to the head of the hip. If yes, I get to resume racing next year. If not, they go back in and replace the hip.

Thanks for asking.
2013-05-27 4:07 PM
in reply to: kursinsky

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by kursinsky

don't even need to go that far! Helped out at younger son's school last night - and though 3 of us parents are triathletes the rest well... and just walking down the street here in NY! and NYC has fitter people due to all the walking than many other places I have lived.

fattening of America is truly scary for the future health implications
2013-05-27 4:11 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by TriToy

don't even need to go that far! Helped out at younger son's school last night - and though 3 of us parents are triathletes the rest well... and just walking down the street here in NY! and NYC has fitter people due to all the walking than many other places I have lived.

fattening of America is truly scary for the future health implications

should try living in the south. there are only 3 food groups: fried, pork, and sweet tea.
2013-05-27 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Had to laugh when I read this as I am currently at Disney World with my family. My hubby and I are having a hard time with the amount of food we get. We are on the delux dining plan. Went to lunch still full from breakfast and we all were entitled to an appetizer, main meal, and dessert. Going for dinner in 20 minutes for the same amount of food. Wowza! It's no wonder people are so big these days.

2013-05-27 4:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy About the shape you are in? Just go to Disney Wolrd. Sheesh.

Wal-Marts are switching stations for aliens.....I'm scared to go there.  

We've got two stores close to me....I swear one is for inbound aliens who have yet to be assimilated, and one is for outbound flights for those who just couldn't adapt and are being sent home.

2013-05-27 5:25 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
We just came back from Disneyland about 4 weeks ago and I noticed the exact same thing. I don't remember seeing so many scooters being used by adults in my life.
2013-05-27 6:11 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

Never been to Disneyland (plan to soon - the kiddies are at the right age) but I get That Feeling at any Chinese buffet. Oh. My. Lord.

The sad thing is, we like them too. We don't have to decide what to order.
2013-05-27 6:49 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

HA HA Exactly!!
2013-05-27 10:31 PM

User image

Regular

The problem that happens with a lot of the nurses/doctors, healthcare workers in hospitals is that they tend to snack on things IMO. And you go to the cafeteria to get dinner? Umm good luck finding something healthy there. At least in the facilities I used to work in. Most meals were fried or just plain unhealthy otherwise.

there were times while I was working, I'd run up the cafeteria, grab whatever was easy to eat while sitting and doing CT. I think others in healthcare do the same. Grab what is easiest.

you would think that the cafeterias would offer good food only. Hmmm guess that good food doesn't sell.

2013-05-27 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I can honestly say I've never stepped foot into a Walmart, yet the image I get are over-weight and poorly dressed people. Maybe it's that Walmart website dedicated to poorly dressed peeps.

I had to sit in the mall while my wife got her nails done. I couldn't believe how many people are out of shape. Very sad.
2013-05-27 11:15 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

New user
Originally posted by Clempson
should try living in the south. there are only 3 food groups: fried, pork, and sweet tea.

So true. I also noticed that people were generally thin in NY as well. There's clearly more epidemic of unhealthy eating and not enough exercise. I don't know if we're eating that much more than couple of decades ago though. I guess the supersized soda and fast food don't help, but still...
2013-05-28 3:26 AM
in reply to: Tmanishere

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
When you take no exercise and horrible food in scary amounts, and couple it with the recent "Fat Acceptance" trend then you have a clear recipe for disaster.

I should upload that picture of a fat woman in a short McDonalds queue sitting on a chair while waiting... standing up is hard work!
2013-05-28 4:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Try living in a body-fat challenged country like this one and getting used to being way taller than average and pretty normal width-wise, even a bit sturdier than most (I'm 5'7", 115-ish, small frame, a size 2, and I wear XL here, if the stuff fits at all), then coming home to your own country and discovering you're outweighed by maybe 99.9% of your compatriots. After spending most of my adult life in Asia, every time I fly home after several months away, I swear I stare at Americans just like people from some remote village who've never seen giant Westerners. It's like they're from another planet and literally 2-3X as wide as I am. Europeans seem more modestly sized. There, I just feel short, esp. in Holland and Germany. I do see overweight people there, but not nearly as many obese.

That being said, Vietnam will eventually have their share of heavyweights, too. People are getting more prosperous and already in the cities I'm starting to see obese (I don't mean chubby, I mean obese, as in they don't have normal mobility for their age, because they're so fat) babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. It's very common to see parents eating healthy local food at a Vietnamese restaurant while their kids eat KFC or similar from a box. Overfeeding plus junk and fast food is already taking its toll.
2013-05-28 5:54 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Airports. That is where I always get my wake up call that I'm doing ok.

Walmart makes me sad. I haven't been to one in well over a year but I remember feeling depressed. Both about the people and the cheap garbage being sold. I bought some of the cheap cantaloupes and bananas near the checkout and none of it was edible. Went from unripe to rotten. No wonder everyone was buying the packaged junk.

2013-05-28 6:29 AM
in reply to: Quigley

New user
Key West
The sad thing is that the humans in the movie WALL-E were not so far fetched. People are turning into blobs from overeating junk and inactivity. If you are an investor, invest highly in pharmaceutical companies that are developing drugs for these people, diabetes in particular. Sounds pessimistic but I don't see anything changing anytime in the near future. I hope I am wrong.
2013-05-28 8:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by Oysterboy About the shape you are in? Just go to Disney Wolrd. Sheesh.

There's no Rock N Roller Coaster at Wal Mart though.

2013-05-28 8:28 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

Yay, lets make fun of fat people!
2013-05-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by VGT

Yay, lets make fun of fat people!

no one is making fun of - it is more disbelief with the level of overweight and obesity in this country.

As a preventative medicine physician I am truly appalled at what people do to themselves.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanna feel good? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

YAY! My Knee feels better

Started by Global
Views: 791 Posts: 2

2006-01-02 12:10 PM Comet

a good feeling

Started by bikerdude
Views: 898 Posts: 4

2005-05-29 3:37 PM Writebrained

This made me feel good

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 960 Posts: 3

2004-07-27 12:50 PM tech_geezer

feeling good leads to feeling bad

Started by tripez
Views: 959 Posts: 3

2004-06-02 8:52 AM Nancytris

Feel Good

Started by MUL98
Views: 904 Posts: 6

2004-04-20 10:00 AM DRM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!