General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where should we move/ Where do you love to live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-27 7:50 PM

User image

Subject: Where should we move/ Where do you love to live?
My significant other and I are becoming fed up with midwest winters and are talking about moving to warmer climates. She is a nurse, I am a union carpenter so we believe that finding jobs will hopefully not be terribly frustrating.

Just wanted to ask where you folks love to live?

We're looking for lower cost of living, warmer climate, liberal atmosphere, and good endurance race community. Either US or abroad!

thanks, E and E

2013-05-27 7:54 PM
in reply to: smiletodayok

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Where should we move/ Where do you love to live?

Originally posted by smiletodayok My significant other and I are becoming fed up with midwest winters and are talking about moving to warmer climates. She is a nurse, I am a union carpenter so we believe that finding jobs will hopefully not be terribly frustrating. Just wanted to ask where you folks love to live? We're looking for lower cost of living, warmer climate, liberal atmosphere, and good endurance race community. Either US or abroad! thanks, E and E

Do a little research, nurses can pretty much go anywhere and find a need--BUT some areas pay better than others.  Where is a good market for carpenters?  The housing market is down in a lot of areas.  Finding jobs to support the active lifestyle should take priority to the race community (even though that is a big consideration)

Richmond, VA has lots of nursing positions--not so sure about carpentry work.  Decent race community.  Large and active tri club.

2013-05-27 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
California! That's where I'm, dreaming of moving right now! Can't get much better climate year round, not too hot, not too cold!

Edited by lakelandsledder 2013-05-27 8:02 PM
2013-05-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Originally posted by lakelandsledder

California! That's where I'm, dreaming of moving right now! Can't get much better climate year round, not too hot, not too cold!

I would love to move to california; my brother's family live there BUT it is so damn expensive. They were looking to buy a "fixer upper" for 450,000. EESH
2013-05-27 8:08 PM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by lakelandsledder

I am in California and can't wait to leave. Yes the weather is great. Yes there are some great tri communities.

Unfortunately we have a state legislature that has run amuck for decades. We have very high state income tax, high sales tax and a pension nightmare looming in the very near future. All our state pensions including teachers are guaranteed by the state constitution. There is no way the pension fund has kept up with the pending obligations. When those trillions of dollars come due the taxpayers will have to make up the deficiency by law.

I am looking at AZ.
2013-05-27 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I went to college in the Bay Area and nowl live in Florida. IMHO these are the only 2 places I'd live. Fla is hot and humid for 35-40%of the year so Ill give Calif the nod on weather. Each state has their fare share of natural disasters so kinda a wash there. Both states have funky politics, although Fla is far more solvent. You can buy a house in Fla, Calif forget it. I love both states but Ill give Fla the nod as I could not replicate my lifestyle (financially) in Calif.

2013-05-27 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I love Hawaii but it is hard to make a go of it there. Not clear on the job situation (I went to grad school there) but I believe local unions have some barriers set up to out-of-state hiring unless no residents can be found--specifically, have heard this for nursing. Also high cost of living, esp. housing and gas. But perfect training weather, great community (Honolulu) and tons of events. It would take real commitment and probably considerable downsizing in terms of housing, lifestyle, etc. to make it work. The Pacific Northwest beats the Midwest for winters, though still can be cool and damp, and has great training resources and lots of clubs and events. But the economy has been hit hard. Oregon is about as liberal as they come and nursing jobs should be available, but don't know about construction lately. Washington State might be in a bit better shape.

Overseas is more complicated owing to different countries' policies on resident and work visas. If considering this, do your research carefully. My guess is most countries have plenty of locally trained carpenters and nurses; possible exception of Gulf States that import a lot of foreign workers, but not the best place for tri training.
2013-05-27 9:46 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Scottsdale, AZ
ARIZONA!!!
Been here since 1988 and the DH and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!
Where else can you ride,run,swim,hike most days of the year! Yes, it gets hot, but in the summer it gets light before 5am so you just adjust accordingly and get up earlier to get training done...I'm actually looking forward to summer this year!
I grew up in Iowa and couldn't imagine dealing with the tornadoes, rain, snow, humidity!

You can ski in the winter up in Flagstaff, or just get away from the heat in the summer - just 2.5 hours away!

There is a GREAT Tri community in the Phoenix area. Where I live in Scottsdale there are great tri/cycle shops, a multitude of places to swim - both OWS and pool and bikes lanes are improving every year!
Plus - IMAZ every November!!!

Plus, the housing market is definitely picking up so jobs you are looking for may be easier to find!
Good luck on your decision and where ever you end up!
2013-05-27 10:28 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I had an amazing job offer in Ogden, Utah back in 2007. Amazing. But my mom's cancer came back so I stayed home. The company did offer to fly me back on their jet twice a month to be with my mom. But I wanted to be by her side. To this day I still dream of Ogden, or really Utah. I love snowboarding, mountain biking and triathlons. Now my wife has an amazing job here in MI so I'm stuck here. MI is okay, but I can rarely snowboard in the off-season and Spring time is just awful. One day it's 80 degrees, next day it's 40 degrees and raining. The wind my god, the wind never stops.
2013-05-27 10:52 PM
in reply to: guppie58

Regular
Seal Beach
Moving from Socal to Park City this year I love CA... but for what I paid for my house here, I can buy double... in downtown park city.
2013-05-27 10:57 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Do not move to Miami. It is hot, overcrowded, traffic is terrible, crime is high, schools are bad, us RNs are a dime a dozen, there is No unions in Florida as it is a right to work state, etc, etc. I wouldn't want anyone to move here.
Only reason I live/work here is that I can work 3 nights a week, train 24/7, 365days yr. OWS, in bays/ocean/gulf and don't have to worry about riding up some mountain. :-)

2013-05-28 5:36 AM
in reply to: #4758163

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Melbourne Australia is amazing. I moved here from Chicago a year ago and couldn't be happier. Great lifestyle, perfect weather (although Aussies will tell you otherwise), amazing training. I'm dreading moving back to Chicago, and will also be looking for a new "home" after this assignment..
2013-05-28 7:46 AM
in reply to: matcrawf

User image

Regular
NSW
Originally posted by matcrawf

Melbourne Australia is amazing. I moved here from Chicago a year ago and couldn't be happier.

Great lifestyle, perfect weather (although Aussies will tell you otherwise), amazing training.

I'm dreading moving back to Chicago, and will also be looking for a new "home" after this assignment..

But Melbourne IS cold, it must get to freezing temp in the winter. I prefer NSW climate, although we are wingeing now its between 8c-20c, which means buying more clothes for cycling! My husband is a chippy by trade and there is always work if you want it, coincidentally I am a nurse and we can always find jobs for experienced competent staff. You might need to check Visa specs though.
2013-05-28 8:17 AM

User image

My fiancé and I are moving to the gulf coast (Florida) next year and I can't WAIT to work 3 days/nights a week, swim bike run 24/7 and not have to climb up no mountain!!!

LOL!!!!

Patti in NJ

Edited by pugpenny 2013-05-28 8:18 AM
2013-05-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Extreme Veteran
TEXAS (surrounding areas of Houston not Dallas )
2013-05-28 12:37 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Originally posted by pugpenny

My fiancé and I are moving to the gulf coast (Florida) next year and I can't WAIT to work 3 days/nights a week, swim bike run 24/7 and not have to climb up no mountain!!!

LOL!!!!

Patti in NJ

LIKE :-)

2013-05-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Texas.

Expereinced nurses don't stay unemployed long......there are a ton of jobs.

Houses in my town are going up daily

McKinney was voted the #2 best place to live by Money Magazine.

Do not mention that you're union or you won't get a job in Texas (being sarcastic but not really being sarcastic)

2013-05-28 3:06 PM

User image

You're fed up with the midwest winters??? Come live in Northern Ontario for a while. They won't seem so bad.
2013-05-28 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by smiletodayok My significant other and I are becoming fed up with midwest winters and are talking about moving to warmer climates. She is a nurse, I am a union carpenter so we believe that finding jobs will hopefully not be terribly frustrating. Just wanted to ask where you folks love to live? We're looking for lower cost of living, warmer climate, liberal atmosphere, and good endurance race community. Either US or abroad! thanks, E and E

Your looking for Utopia!

Most if not all "warmer climate" states are not liberal.  That said we moved to central east coast of FL (Melbourne) in 99 and won't be leaving unless something drastic happens.  Melbourne and the surrounding has a same town feel.  Home prices & building markets are recovering from the real-estate crash, and up to a few years ago there were nice signing bonus for RN's at the local hospitals.  Taxes are low but homeowners insurance is high. We have an active tri & running community with several local races.

Edited by Donto 2013-05-28 3:13 PM
2013-05-28 6:50 PM

User image

Lenoir
North Carolina has mild winters and fall and spring are amazing.
2013-05-28 7:08 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Portland, OR meets all your requirements except for the lower cost of living (though we've got CA beat). We are definitely liberal, train year round (rain does not stop us), have an excellent tri community, a huge boom in housing and a big need for nurses.

But I also like that it's not very crowded...so on second thought, go south, young man!

2013-05-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Payson, AZ
it would appear many folks missed the liberal part of the equation.  lol  Agree on Portland (and/or WA area), if you can tolerate the rain.  The summers are amazing and the winters are pretty moderate.  When the rain use to get to me I'd just visit Bend or some other near by location for the weekend and get out of it for a bit.  Great biking, great races, AWESOME beer
2013-05-29 8:58 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

New user
Key West
Originally posted by bzgl40

it would appear many folks missed the liberal part of the equation.  lol  Agree on Portland (and/or WA area), if you can tolerate the rain.  The summers are amazing and the winters are pretty moderate.  When the rain use to get to me I'd just visit Bend or some other near by location for the weekend and get out of it for a bit.  Great biking, great races, AWESOME beer

Yeah, I noticed that people were just skipping over the liberal part of the equation. Texas and Arizona, and some of Florida are out if you would like to live somewhere that is more liberal. No one has mentioned NM, the only blue state in the south (not counting CA). Decent weather and affordable in most areas. I have never lived there, but grew up right next door.

I live in Key West which ticks some but not all of the boxes. Very expensive here, but definitely liberal, warm (have never had a frost), good Tri community and close to southern Florida (Miami and Tampa area) Tri's. Plenty of work for those who want to work. But a bit isolated and, did I say, expensive. Personally, I am retiring to Italy in the next few years. But, I won't be looking to do any more Tri's or looking for work, just a simpler life.
2013-05-29 10:13 AM
in reply to: topolina

New user
Personally, I'm looking at either Tampa, FL or Asheville (or Raliegh), NC area since we're in Rochester, NY, and can't stand the long winter weather where we don't get enough snow to snow-shoe or cross-country ski, but it's too cold to bike outside for 5 months of the year. There are benefits to both places, but I'm afraid Tampa is just too darn hot for many months in the summer, but it does have a great tri community, and Clermont, Florida is not too far away where the tri life is top-notch. The benefit of Tampa is good housing prices, lower taxes, great weather for 8 months of the year, and OWS right in the gulf.

Here's the data on Asheville: http://www.city-data.com/city/Asheville-North-Carolina.html
and here's the data on Tampa: http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

BTW - that website has a wealth of information, so make sure you use that resource, as it's been great help to us in our decision making process.
2013-05-29 10:44 AM
in reply to: Carrick1973

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Carrick1973 Personally, I'm looking at either Tampa, FL or Asheville (or Raliegh), NC area since we're in Rochester, NY, and can't stand the long winter weather where we don't get enough snow to snow-shoe or cross-country ski, but it's too cold to bike outside for 5 months of the year. There are benefits to both places, but I'm afraid Tampa is just too darn hot for many months in the summer, but it does have a great tri community, and Clermont, Florida is not too far away where the tri life is top-notch. The benefit of Tampa is good housing prices, lower taxes, great weather for 8 months of the year, and OWS right in the gulf. Here's the data on Asheville: http://www.city-data.com/city/Asheville-North-Carolina.htmland here's the data on Tampa: http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.htmlBTW - that website has a wealth of information, so make sure you use that resource, as it's been great help to us in our decision making process.

I've been in Sarasota, an hour south of Tampa for the last 27 years, but lived in Brockport, NY, just west of Rochester, for a few years prior to moving here.

It does get hot here in the summer, but to me it's just another incentive to get up early and train before it warms up too much.  Having the warm and relatively calm Gulf of Mexico handy for OWS is great. 

It's great to be able to train outdoors 12 months out of the year.  The one thing we lack for training are hills.  We have to make due with either doing repeats back and forth over the Ringling bridge over Sarasota Bay or making the trek up to the Clermont area on the weekend.

All that being said, I enjoyed my time in Brockport (except for the taxes).  We did a lot of cross country skiiing during the winter and I managed to run outside most of the year (as long as the roads were plowed). 

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where should we move/ Where do you love to live? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

They died doing what the love...

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2330 Posts: 13

2013-02-20 8:29 AM Danielfberlin

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Has anyone done SINGAPORE 70.3??? would love some feedback

Started by nicknewie1983
Views: 940 Posts: 7

2010-11-06 8:11 PM nicknewie1983

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1654 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason?

Started by nerak11
Views: 703 Posts: 3

2009-09-08 1:59 PM lengthcroft
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : December 22, 2008
author : ecnefoop
comments : 9
I had been very fit until I turned the legal age for the two demons: drinking and smoking. Unfortunately, from my 18th birthday, my once fit swimmer's body went downhill and wide very fast.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports