General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brighton, Michigan
United States
Element Events
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = 28/219
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

I got up around 4:30, had some coffee and got ready to go. Arrived at the site to check in and set up transition around 5:30. I started re-evaluating my T1 immediately to add layers. I ate oatmeal and drank water up until 45 minutes before my wave start.
Event warmup:

I was planning to get in the lake and warm up but because it was only in the mid-30's air temp, my tri coach said it would be wiser to just do a standing warm up on the beach. I did some leg swings, arm circles and a light jogging movement.
Swim
  • 14m 41s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very weedy at the start. I didn't care for the way the RD had the waves organized. The oly's went first in several waves to do loops of the triangle. Once we sprinters started our waves, the oly's were kind of merging in to do their second loop. The merge was challenging.
What would you do differently?:

I feel great about this swim considering the traffic issues.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

T1 was slow as I put on a shirt, a zip up windbreaker and skull cap under my helmet. It was slow for everyone. It barely broke 40 so a few extra layers and seconds were just a necessity to keep those legs from freezing up for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I practiced getting out of my wetsuit several times but got stuck on the heels this time. I guess I need to practice more!
Bike
  • 39m 37s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering my legs and hands were numb (forgot to put my gloves on in T1), I did okay. The course is not a fast one with some tough climbs and two places you have to slow down to hairpin turn. Oddly enough I always pass everyone around me going up hills, but not so much on flat or down hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Run
  • 23m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted a 7:20 pace but settle for a 7:30. My feet were seriously numb after the ride and my legs felt "locked" from being so cold for the first 5 minutes. Aside from that I pushed as hard as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat and stretched, sipped sports drink and tried to get warm again after being freezing, warm, then cold again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold temps clearly slowed everyone down. I still PR'd this race though not by as much as I'd hoped. Having to layer up in T1 and deal with a frozen body, I was really pleased with the results.

Event comments:

I was bummed because my goal for this race was to be in the top 3 females....and I DID IT! I was 3rd female overall! BT still doesn't have a place for gender results. The bummed part was that this RD doesn't recognize 2nd and 3rd overall, just 1st in each gender.

However, I did win something I hadn't even considered and didn't know was presented and that was the #1 FEMALE MASTERS!! This whole being 40 (technically not for a few more months) thing is not so bad!

Last updated: 2013-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:41 | 800 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 29/219
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:37 | 12.5 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 48/219
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out with a turn and back; out past the start with another turn and back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:35 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 31/219
Performance: Average
Course: Up a giant grassy hill, out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-28 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Sprint Course

Started by xrodolfox
Views: 1395 Posts: 2

2013-05-26 6:16 AM xrodolfox

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1117 Posts: 1

2012-07-05 3:14 PM noelle1230

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course

Started by AUSSIEEXPAT
Views: 1051 Posts: 1

2012-05-29 10:06 AM AUSSIEEXPAT

Island Lake Triathlon, Spring - Olympic Course

Started by cycletherapy
Views: 1553 Posts: 8

2012-05-29 3:23 PM JonnyVero

Started by dtrimmer
Views: 1267 Posts: 1

2012-05-27 5:54 AM dtrimmer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.