Budu racing
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 09m 39s
Overall Rank = 44/221
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

Left the hotel about 5:00 to drive to the race which was about 90 minutes away. Had oatmeal and a banana before I left. Stopped for Starbucks en route
Event warmup:

It was pretty cold and rainy. So I did a little bit on my bike and ran a little as well, but not as much as I should have done. The cold weather made me reluctant to want to get out and get wet before the race started. It was very hard to know what to wear with the cold and rain. I finally decided to go with a one piece tri suit with arm warmers. That turned out to be fine. I was a little cold, especially my feet/hands, but not too bad.
Run
  • 34m 30s
  • 5.1 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty solid run for me. I was pushing pretty hard and it felt fine. For the most part I was running in the 6:30 range, but the hill at mile 4 took my pace way down. Good effort and outcome for me. I felt like I needed a strong start, so I pushed.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I was pretty gassed after the run, so I was a little slower than i would have liked. Plus, I hung a jersey on my bike thinking I might put it on if the rain kicked up. I started running with my bike when I saw the jersey on the aero bars. I didn't want to wear it, so I had to back track to throw it back in my transition zone. I had a little trouble getting into my shoes. It was so mushy that I didn't want to run barefoot.

Not sure. It was OK
Bike
  • 1h 27m 48s
  • 29.1 miles
  • 19.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I did great the first lap but the hill on the 2nd lap killed me. I was pretty drained after the 1st run, so that large hill took a toll. Overall, I felt good about my bike ride.

More hill training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Not a great transition. I was pretty tired and moving a little slow. Had a little trouble with my shoes due to the rain...everything was wet. Just tried my best to get in/out quickly

Don't know.
Run
  • 27m 53s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty well out of gas, so it was just a gut check to hold my pace. I really wanted to finish 3rd in my age group, so that possibility kept me going. For the last mile and a half I got into a group of two other runners that refused to give in, so it was somewhat helpful because mentally I think we pushed each other. I dropped one guy and there were just two of us. The other guy put on a burst of speed with about a half mile to go and I couldn't stay with him. But I could do that when I was 30, too!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Just tried to get warm and dry. We had a few shots of rain/drizzle throughout the event, so I was cold and wet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. For only my second duathlon, I felt good about the outcome.

Event comments:

It's a good race in a beautiful location. On a clear day it would be a spectacular course.

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:30 | 05.1 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 35/221
Performance: Good
Course: Big rectangle with rolling hills...and one bigger hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:27:48 | 29.1 miles | 19.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 55/221
Wind: Some
Course: Big circle that we made two laps on with a pretty big hill to climb (twice) right in the middle. The downhill sections coming back through the start area were reasonably steep and a lot of fun to ride. Asphalt conditions were surprisingly good.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:27:53 | 03.8 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 68/221
Course: Big rectangle again, mostly the same rolling hills as the first run but without the bigger hill segment...thank goodness. It is not a difficult 2nd run from a course perspective.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-28 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Mount Rainier Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mount Rainier Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12th Annual Mt. Rainier Duathlons

Started by Quantum
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2011-05-05 2:38 AM Quantum

12th Annual Mt. Rainier Duathlons

Started by edawno
Views: 963 Posts: 1

2010-04-27 11:47 AM edawno

Mount Rainier Duathlon

Started by leftd
Views: 891 Posts: 1

2008-05-06 5:44 PM leftd

Mount Rainier Duathlon

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 2117 Posts: 25

2008-05-02 6:25 PM WaterDog66

Mt Rainier Duathlon

Started by briderdt
Views: 1756 Posts: 1

2006-04-25 9:24 AM briderdt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.