General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone sick??-IM TX-urgent Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-29 8:17 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Anyone sick??-IM TX-urgent
I have a good friend who just completed IM Texas13 and has come down with some sort of infection in mouth/throat area as well as severe flu like symptoms that has put him in hospital for past few days. Immediately after the race he felt tightness in his chest, throat, breathing, sweats,etc, but figured it was because of the stress of the day. He's very fit and has done IM before (m45-49). Extensive tests have been done and pretty much negative on CAT scans, EKG's, etc. still in real bad shape. I can't go over everything, but the doctors are stumped and asked about other participants. I know of one other participant who has been struggling with flu like symptoms since the race. I also raced and haven't had any issues.

Anyone else know of problems reported in lake, other racers experiencing anything from IM Texas 13?

Thank you, Tom

2013-05-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Anyone sick??-IM TX-urgent
I haven't heard of anything. Best wishes to your friend.
2013-05-29 9:15 AM

Regular
Seal Beach
Wouldn't surprise me. That water was nasty. I had a bit of a sinus infection, and still have a bit of a cough, but I saw that one coming when I got in the water.
2013-05-29 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
There was a bug going around in the area in the weeks leading up to the race. I and a number of my training partners got sick. Not that severe though.

As to the water, despite the fact that it's a silty lake and therefore not very clear, they are over the top about testing the water quality there, so outside of the typical stuff that's in fresh water, it's actually pretty clean.
2013-05-29 10:06 AM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tjfry

There was a bug going around in the area in the weeks leading up to the race. I and a number of my training partners got sick. Not that severe though.

As to the water, despite the fact that it's a silty lake and therefore not very clear, they are over the top about testing the water quality there, so outside of the typical stuff that's in fresh water, it's actually pretty clean.

Yeah because it would be unrealistic for a government entity to fudge a report when there are thousands of dollars of tourism revenue at stake. (Sorry but with the new forums I haven't found sarcastic font yet)
2013-05-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4759949

It's a long-shot, but have the doctor's checked for Lyme's disease? Sounds as if in Texas this is quite rare, but if he were in Virginia that would be the first thing I would guess based on your information. Easy to miss a tick with all the race day crud.

2013-05-29 12:34 PM

I did the race and can say I have not gotten sick, if anything I feel better than I have in a while (probably more to do with getting a break in training to spend with the family). I even swallowed a couple mouthfuls of water accidentally.
2013-05-30 8:59 AM

User image

Regular
Edinburg
Yes, I'm sick, have the symptoms of E. Coli. Next time I may opt out of the swim if given the choice again. As you probably know the organizers sent out an email the night before offering a duathlon for those concerned with the lake conditions. Heavy rain had washed road runoff and lawn mines into the lake. My symptoms hit 48 hours after the swim. Sipping water and hoping this is over soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone sick??-IM TX-urgent Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Does anyone (else) get sick after racing?

Started by trishie
Views: 1386 Posts: 18

2013-03-19 7:28 AM Hot Runner

Anyone ever get sick from drinking OWS water?

Started by billyymc
Views: 1527 Posts: 15

2012-08-06 6:37 PM guppie58

CdA or TX for first IM?

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 1599 Posts: 21

2012-06-27 3:10 PM GatorDeb

Arrrrrrrg..... Im sick

Started by Anthonypb
Views: 677 Posts: 4

2011-03-09 11:23 AM Anthonypb

Playtri too Grapevine, TX anyone?

Started by sblack
Views: 628 Posts: 4

2005-07-29 12:33 PM JeepFleeb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While regular and moderate exercise such as light jogging has been shown to boost immune system function, more vigorous exercise can suppress the immune system.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
date : February 13, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.