General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Needing inspiration/motivation? Final 15 minutes of Kona coverage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-02 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Subject: Needing inspiration/motivation? Final 15 minutes of Kona coverage
So I'm on day 4 of hernia surgery recovery and I'm getting very restless. Pain hasn't lessened at all and I'm getting really frustrated. So i was going through my DVR and forgot that I had saved the past two years Kona races. So I sat down to watch. While watching the pros race and everything is fun, nothing compares to the last 15 minutes or so when they focus exclusively on the age groupers, the dreams, the special interest stories, etc. Some of these people really move you to tears. There was the woman who was 316 pounds when she started on her dream. There's the guy who lost both of his legs in a car accident who did it to show military men and women that all is not lost after a serious injury. There was the mother of three, who had cancer while training, the 76 yr old woman crossing the finish line with only seconds to spare. The 80 year old man who stumbled for the final few miles, so many.
Watching it made me so thankful for what I have and re-energized my love and joy for the sport. It further instilled why I do this. I think most of us forget, because we spend so much time on this board, with similar people, but that we are the 1% in the fitness world. While most of us are simply average on this board, we're in the elite of the average population. We think our 14-15 hour ironman time is mediocre after seeing others here who are trying to break 10. We forget that we are 1 of 1000 who will actually finish an Ironman. These stories remind me that it's not about the time, but its about proving to ourselves what we are capable of. How when we fall, we don't quit, we get back up and persevere.
Six years ago when I got into this sport the idea of doing an Ironman was ludicrous. No way I'd ever want to do something so insane. After a few years it became less crazy, and became a goal. A goal that 99% of the population thinks is insane and pointless to strive towards.
Before I got into the sport a triathlon, a sprint, was crazy. Remember that no matter the distance, no matter how much better you think everyone else is, no matter how slow, you think you are...you're doing it. And thats something that only a very small amount of the population can say.

Well, I just felt like getting all this out because sitting on the couch is making me crazy and thought there may be some others out there who could use some inspiration and motivation. Try to catch the footage of Kona, it'll make you cry and make you want to get back out there and train your tail off.

2013-06-02 9:56 PM
in reply to: RookieIM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Needing inspiration/motivation? Final 15 minutes of Kona coverage

Originally posted by RookieIM So I'm on day 4 of hernia surgery recovery and I'm getting very restless. Pain hasn't lessened at all and I'm getting really frustrated. So i was going through my DVR and forgot that I had saved the past two years Kona races.

Back at the end of September I had an emergency gall-bladder surgery.  Ten days in the hospital and then the doctors dropped the really good news - no strenuous activity for at least 4 weeks.  I came home two days before Ironman 2013.  I found the live stream and watched the entire competition - all 17 hours.  For me, watching the Ironman while I was on a medical furlough was kind of bittersweet.  On the one hand, it was very inspirational and made my commitment to earning my own invitation to Kona that much stronger.  On the other hand, I wasn't suppose to walk, let alone run, bike, swim, or lift weights.  That kind of reminded my of how far away Kona was.

Hang in there!  The forced break will be over before you know it.  Take it from someone who is not known for following doctors orders - do what the docs say.  Starting back before you are cleared will only result in more delays and more frustration.  In no time you will look back on this and you will be back on track.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Needing inspiration/motivation? Final 15 minutes of Kona coverage Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HELP!!! Need Inspiration/Motivation

Started by MikeTri37
Views: 1629 Posts: 22

2008-02-01 9:02 AM ChicagoMan65

Lifetime Fitness - My 15 minutes of fame

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 1467 Posts: 17

2007-07-05 11:51 AM TacomaLuv

My 15 minutes of fame

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 1130 Posts: 20

2005-09-10 3:56 PM smokeater1833

my 15 minutes!

Started by autumn
Views: 972 Posts: 11

2005-08-11 7:42 PM BellinghamSpence

My 15 minutes of fame

Started by max
Views: 939 Posts: 13

2005-08-01 1:46 PM trimom3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.
date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.

date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.
date : January 8, 2010
author : tiridako
comments : 1
I had decided on doing an Ironman when I was in second grade, after my dad and mom left for Hawaii for two weeks so dad could do the Kona Ironman. Triathlon seemed to be the ultimate sport.

date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Bill
comments : 9
Reflecting on the events in my life that led to my being waste deep in water wearing spandex with a latex cap over my freshly shaved head.

date : July 4, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
Motivation can be hard to come by some days. Here are a few things I have learned to help stay focused.