General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supplement to help swimming strength, but not hurt running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-02 5:23 PM

Subject: Supplement to help swimming strength, but not hurt running?
Hey all, I'm new to triathlon training, and I was wondering if, as the title says, there are any good supplements that will help with gaining swimming strength, but that won't hurt my running. I run competitively, so I'm not sure if I should use creatine because of the added water weight that it tends to add. My upper body was stronger/bigger when I used to swim competitively, but I've lost some size/weight when I began running. I'd just like to add some lean muscle so that I will be a more efficient swimmer, without negatively affecting my running. Any suggestions?

2013-06-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: xc_stallion92

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Supplement to help swimming strength, but not hurt running?
Not into supplements, and anyway, nothing but illegal stuff would probably build muscle on my scrawny excuse for a body, but....I'd suggest that swimming more will pretty much do the trick as far as strength. For extra strength, assuming you have good form and aren't going to hurt yourself doing so, build in some sets with paddles, and throw in some fly and IM work to develop a bigger range of muscles than you'd get from just doing freestyle. My master's coach has me do a bunch of that as my swims usually involve going against current at some point. I'm 5'7" and about 115 pounds. In my first Oly a couple of buff women asked me if I could handle the swim. (1500m in rather choppy surf.) Yes, no problem. I beat all but one of them. I'm rarely the first woman out of the water, but I'm usually in the top six or so, and usually the best in my AG. I can outswim and outlift a lot of more muscular women, and men.

Yes, the bigger, stronger people have some advantage in swim sprints, and perhaps in the "washing machine" at the start. But distance swimming is much more about technique and training. Many triathletes learned to swim as adults and both their technique and comfort level with open water leave a lot to be desired, so if you have a swim background, you're already ahead on those. Start strategically to avoid getting mowed over by the big guys, and you'll come on strong at the end and mow them down on the run.

If you're still worried about building muscle, rather than supplements, you might look at your diet to make sure you're getting enough protein. Taking in some protein (any kind, doesn't need to be a special supplement, could be a peanut butter sandwich) after a hard workout is supposed to be useful.
2013-06-03 1:11 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Thanks for the help, I'll keep all that in mind. I appreciate the time you put into answering my questions
2013-06-05 3:56 PM
in reply to: xc_stallion92

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Skip the supplements and spend more time in the weight room. Bent Arm Lat Pulldowns, Seated Rows, Chest Presses, and Hyperextensions will get your swimming muscles built fast.
2013-06-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not into supplements, and anyway, nothing but illegal stuff would probably build muscle on my scrawny excuse for a body, but....I'd suggest that swimming more will pretty much do the trick as far as strength. For extra strength, assuming you have good form and aren't going to hurt yourself doing so, build in some sets with paddles, and throw in some fly and IM work to develop a bigger range of muscles than you'd get from just doing freestyle. My master's coach has me do a bunch of that as my swims usually involve going against current at some point. I'm 5'7" and about 115 pounds. In my first Oly a couple of buff women asked me if I could handle the swim. (1500m in rather choppy surf.) Yes, no problem. I beat all but one of them. I'm rarely the first woman out of the water, but I'm usually in the top six or so, and usually the best in my AG. I can outswim and outlift a lot of more muscular women, and men.

Yes, the bigger, stronger people have some advantage in swim sprints, and perhaps in the "washing machine" at the start. But distance swimming is much more about technique and training. Many triathletes learned to swim as adults and both their technique and comfort level with open water leave a lot to be desired, so if you have a swim background, you're already ahead on those. Start strategically to avoid getting mowed over by the big guys, and you'll come on strong at the end and mow them down on the run.

If you're still worried about building muscle, rather than supplements, you might look at your diet to make sure you're getting enough protein. Taking in some protein (any kind, doesn't need to be a special supplement, could be a peanut butter sandwich) after a hard workout is supposed to be useful.

X2

Endurance sport is not strength limited. Swim lots and you'll build all the muscle you need.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supplement to help swimming strength, but not hurt running? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Not a supplement debate: Your multivitamin recommendation?

Started by lisac957
Views: 2767 Posts: 11

2011-02-17 11:30 AM Artemis

Nutritional/supplement experts, I need your help.

Started by Caincando1
Views: 970 Posts: 2

2008-04-03 1:17 PM christyr1978

Stomach issues during long runs--help!!!!

Started by christian1
Views: 1249 Posts: 8

2006-03-03 9:19 PM parrj

What supplements do you take? Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 4529 Posts: 27

2005-03-11 8:51 AM trixie

STOP BAN ON SUPPLEMENTS

Started by G40
Views: 1022 Posts: 1

2005-01-31 8:18 PM G40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.
date : May 18, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
I've just got back in the pool from a 2 week break and my triceps are killing me the whole time I am swimming. Wondering if someone has any ideas or tips to correct?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : February 13, 2007
author : BobbyMcgee
Use high and low cadence deep water running to improve your turnover, run-specific muscle endurance and functional running strength.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : May 30, 2005
author : tmwelshy
comments : 6
I’m only slightly thick in the head, but there is a gremlin-ish energy in the air as I prepare for my run. It occurs to me that this is not gonna be a comfortable 8 miles. This is gonna hurt.