World Triathlon Corporation
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 4s
Overall Rank = 476/1198
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 104/308
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3am. Bowl of Grape Nuts w/ Vanilla Soy and a cup of coffee with sugar. Took another cup (no sugar) with me for bus ride to Lake. Lucky brought a pump with us to sacrifice to the transition gods after we inflated our tires. I'm deeply indebted to him for that! So worth it as all the lines were long in T1.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 38m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Officials all but guaranteed there would be no wetsuits. "Water Temp is 79F at 2:15 and it's going to get hotter and that will certainly go up. Unless there's some weather front no one knows about, it will NOT be wetsuit legal." That being said, I knew there was a chance it would be legal. However, I thought it would be hot early in the AM and probably not in my best interest to wear it even if it was legal. Well, it was legal and the weather was cool. About half way through the second swim leg, that water was noticeably colder - maybe that's where they took the reading? On top of all that, I lost so much weight during training that my singlet was too loose. It ballooned up on me during the swim and was a serious a drag, floating up to my chest underwater. In addition, I grew accustom to eating a Stinger Waffle on the bike, whereas I normally don't eat solid food during a race. So, I packed in the back of my singlet for the swim. For those that want to know, Stinger Waffle packages are not water proof. I'm writing to them about that (just kidding!)
What would you do differently?:

Check the weather so I can make better decisions. If I knew it would have been overcast and cool, that would have changed my decision to leave the wetsuit at home. Make sure my singlet fit properly. That being said, I had the best swim I could have had with those mistakes in mind.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I used to always run sock less, but during my lackadaisical training over the past two years my feet have softened up, Can't find a shoe that doesn't cause blisters on the tops of my feet. Thought I had water-proof bandages, but they were not and fell off during the swim - my apologies Lake Jordan - the band aids were not over broken or cut skin, just a precaution. Luckily, I had socks in my shoes as back-up. That cost me some time, but was worth it on the run.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Jettisoned a full bottle of Zym / e-Load at the tracks on Old US 1. Boo. On course drink completely different in nutrients, plus no caffeine. Didn't expect that to happen as I rode this course twice with no problem. I continued drinking mix I had at normal rate until I could grab the on course stuff, then substituted that till nearly done and finished off Zym / e-Load. Pace was comfortable, but certain I would have been over 20 had I been able to stick to my nutrition plan. Crowds throughout Apex / Holly Springs where OFF THE HOOK! Everyone got me pumped and I was thanking everyone and having a grand old time. Had to dial back a bit after getting off 55. Volunteers were excellent at handing off bottles and calling out water or sports drink (whatever that was).

Nothing. Very pleased with my performance managing the nutrition situation.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I overheard someone saying earlier that there wasn't enough time to ride with feet on tops of shoes heading into T2. There was, but unfortunately, I never dismount in my shoes. It's just ritual for me to dismount in front of my house like I do in a race, so when I got to the dismount with my feet in my shoes I had a completely awkward moment and was certain I heard people gasping thinking I would fall. Luckily I didn't and everything else went smooth, except for having to pee. Seemed like I pissed for more than a minute.

Be more familiar with entrance to T2 and at least, have a plan. Duh.
Run
  • 2h 10m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

As always, I felt great coming off the bike. Saw my wife and son. Gave them both huge hugs and kissed and told them I loved them. Thanked them and then hit the course with a smile on my face. My plan was to run on feel and walk only through transitions. I kept a 9:30 pace (which I was stoked with) through the first four then, hit the hilly sections and realized there was no aid station at Mile 6. So I took a walk break especially since I felt cramps coming on. Planned to take a Gatorlyte packet after the hills to rejuvenate myself for the finish, but needed it then, but also needed water to wash it down. Couldn't see the aid station so I ran on hope and soon saw the blessed Budget Rental truck which meant water! Budget should be a sponsor next year! Second loop was not nearly as hard as the first, but I don't think my split reflects that. I probably took more walking breaks than planned due to my confusion over there being an aid station at Mile 6. I don't know... the 2-loop thing confused me at first and I couldn't think straight until back on familiar ground. Pretty much resumed my steady pace to the finish. There are few things I could complain about on the run, but I won't, because... 1. Volunteers were TOP NOTCH. Well-trained. New exactly how to operate every aid station. Kudos to Ironman, and 2. The finish just ROCKED! Crowd actually cheered every time I pumped my fist (as did volunteers all over the course). I saw Sandi and Carson and ran to them at La Volta and then I see Cindy and Dave cheering for me too. The four of them in the crowd of people cheering for me will be embedded in my mind for quite some time. Gave Sandi and Carson more hugs and kisses and thanks and then ran to the finish with my hand in the air.

Be more familiar with the actual run course.
Post race
Warm down:

Slice of tomato basil pizza, pasta and cookies which I gave to Carson. Drank some water and coke, but didn't finish either. I hydrated really well on the course. Only issue was tired legs. Found Sandi and the crew and after finishing my food got a Bud LIght. Then my free beer. Then another bud light before we bugged out. So great to see so many people I know. Don't know if I can top this race (performance maybe, but overall decision making and dealing with issues that came up as well as fan / friend / hometown support - no way). There's a reason why Ironman is the best around.

Event comments:

This was, by far, the best event I've ever done. TOP NOTCH organization, volunteers, aid station set up, and amazing finish. I've never hung out for so long after a race as I did this one. COMPLETELY AWESOME.

Last updated: 2012-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:02 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 64/308
Overall: 366/1198
Performance: Below average
Suit: Basic Tri Kit
Course: Clockwise Triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:07 | 56 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 102/308
Overall: 412/1198
Wind:
Course: Rolling Hills. Some tail wind early on, but otherwise pretty gentle winds. Some rough roads, some smooth. Couple of railroad tracks. Major highways had lanes closed for cyclists and other roads completely closed. Hats off the Ironman for that!!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:10:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 104/308
Overall: 476/1198
Course: Rolling but gentle hills with positive gain, then a nightmare of hills, the the same rolling gentles hills with negative gain. Sparse shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-02 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

2013-06-03 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4764389

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
Congrats finishing yesterday! Thanks for your posts prior to the race; helped someone driving from a few hours away get "as familiar as possible" with the course without actually seeing it until race day. The course surely would have made a man out of anyone attempting to tame it, but very gratifying crossing the finish line. We shared similar experiences during the day and you are spot on, the folks in Holly Springs were AMAZING!

Grats,

Pete
2013-06-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4764389

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Great job, and sorry if my comments about riding on tops of shoes threw you. I do not ride that way, and I don't know how much room you need to do that. I know I was in my 36 chainring and 20 cassette climbing that stretch (that's what gearing my bike was in when I loaded it on my car yesterday after the race), so I would not have had any "coast" time. And, I knew I would likely cramp if I did anything crazy off the bike.
2013-06-03 5:24 PM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Regular
Originally posted by fgump

Great job, and sorry if my comments about riding on tops of shoes threw you. I do not ride that way, and I don't know how much room you need to do that. I know I was in my 36 chainring and 20 cassette climbing that stretch (that's what gearing my bike was in when I loaded it on my car yesterday after the race), so I would not have had any "coast" time. And, I knew I would likely cramp if I did anything crazy off the bike.

Ah! So that's where I heard that. I should have thought through that and didn't give it one iota of thought till I was there and was like, uh, how do I dismount with my shoes on?!?! Not your fault I didn't plan appropriately. I also don't blame the race officials for me not bringing a wetsuit. Foolish mistakes on my part. It's been 5 years I think since my last half and I made a few foolish mistakes - like leaving my wetsuit at home - but I was immensely pleased with my race and being able to finish with a smile on my face. Hope your race went well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by Daremo
Views: 6044 Posts: 31

2006-06-16 1:22 PM Hudnick

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by ladavidson
Views: 3548 Posts: 12

2006-06-06 6:45 PM CitySky

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by crusevegas
Views: 3311 Posts: 17

2006-06-12 11:03 AM crusevegas

Mexico IronMan 70.3 Baja

Started by CVSURF
Views: 2594 Posts: 8

2006-09-27 5:43 PM go_sparkles

Ironman 70.3 California

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 4100 Posts: 23

2006-03-21 10:25 AM dajeeman357
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.