General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Info on Lifetime TrI - Rockwall, TX - Oct Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-02 11:49 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Subject: Info on Lifetime TrI - Rockwall, TX - Oct
I am planning on doing this one as my first Olympic tri. I've read a few race reports and am interested in more info on the race. Any info would be appreciated. FWIW, it'll be a destination race, albeit not very far as I'm in Houston.

A few reports suggested the area is hilly, is that truly the case? is that true of the run course or bike course?
What is the lake like? Choppy? Smooth? Temp?
Any hotels close worth recommending?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2013-06-03 10:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: Info on Lifetime TrI - Rockwall, TX - Oct
The lake swim is nice. Triangle course with left hand turns. about 90% chance of being wetsuit legal. Moderately long run to T1 and up hill. Basically just getting away from the lake there is a decent steep grade. About the first mile of the bike is a decent grade. After that not too bad just rolling hills. Last years run course was different from years before. It was 2 loops around a close neighborhood. It was very hill run and 2 loops of it. I hope they change it. It is well put on and very crowded spectator wise. Last year was cold as crap. I didnt feel my feet till mile 2. Usually its a pretty nice temps wise.

Edited by Newtons1st 2013-06-03 10:23 PM
2013-06-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: Maniton

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
The area is hilly for Dallas. It is held near the Rockwall Hilton Hotel (Lakefront) with the transition area at the hotel parking lot.

Swim has been wetsuit legal all 3 times the race was held in Rockwall. Water has been fairly calm (it's a lake) and it's pretty straightforward.

Running to T1 is fairly long for a T1 run and is uphill.

The Bike course is primarily on John Carpenter road which is smooth, wide, but has rolling hills. Steep coming out of T1 but still able to use an 11-23 cassette with 53/39 chainrings just fine for the course. There is a section in some neighborhood areas that have narrow roads but in general, it was a decent course. It was abnormally cold last year (had to put a jacket and gloves as it was below 40F) but the 2 years before that was fine.

The run last year was VERY hilly. Steep downhills and uphills and I didn't like it that much (basically went around a gated neighborhood and wasn't that great).

For some reason, it lost the "US Open" title this year and was renamed Lifetime Tri after the primary sponsor. It's a well supported race and in the past, was probably the Dallas area's biggest triathlon. Nice expo.
2013-06-04 3:13 PM
in reply to: Maniton

User image

New user

McKinney
Last year was the 1st year i did this race since it moved to Rockwall from downtown Dallas.

Here is a link to my race report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Abnormal temps last year, it was high 30's or low 40's at race start if i remember correctly (water felt great at 70, though).

other than right out of transition the bike course is pretty simple, just some rollers. The run course is up and down the entire time, though.

2013-07-02 3:15 PM
in reply to: Harbo99

User image

Veteran
Texas
Last year was my first year to do this race and I thought it was great!!! I agree with what the other posters have said, in regards to the course. I would suggest that you go ahead and reserve a room at the Hilton, as it does fill up quickly. You can always cancel it if you decide not to do the race, but it sure is nice to stay on location!!
2013-07-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: goose1126

User image

New user
Dallas, TX
Probably not the best idea but this will be my first tri ever. I am doing the Sprint distance and I am just going to be having fun.

2013-07-18 12:31 PM
in reply to: LukeS

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I have done this race twice. If you look through my RACES you can find my race reports.

The swim is fine. Can be a little choppy, but no big deal really. It is a lake.

The bike course is hilly.

The run course is hilly.

Train on hills for this race.

Last year the weather was cold. VERY COLD. Freakishly cold. It was like our only cold weekend in October.

I'm going back again this year.

2013-08-28 9:30 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
Am I blind? I can't find routes for the race anywhere on their website.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Info on Lifetime TrI - Rockwall, TX - Oct Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lifetime Fitness Indoor Tri

Started by colemanford
Views: 959 Posts: 5

2008-04-21 1:58 PM smeador

Houston Racing Tri Club's Beerathlon, Oct. 19

Started by scfsara
Views: 945 Posts: 2

2007-10-03 12:49 PM Nette213

Tri the Rock-Rockwall, TX 8/26/07

Started by tri_it_cajun_style
Views: 1449 Posts: 24

2007-08-23 9:27 AM KSH

OUr 1st Tri - 3 weeks - cap of tx tri in Austin labor day

Started by jaxthedog
Views: 813 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 10:12 PM snausa

Anyone doing the Tri the Rock Tri in Rockwall, TX?

Started by mginani
Views: 1288 Posts: 13

2005-08-28 3:44 AM MandiGayle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.