General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I fall apart during my long runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-06-06 12:58 AM
in reply to: wbattaile

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Why do I fall apart during my long runs?
I'll have the Garmin, and Elapsed time and all that. I do know that I need 14:30 per mile (including those pesky last .2) if I hit the bike cutoff to the second and take 5 mins at T2. So I'll have it all set up, last mile pace, average pace, time, elapsed time.

I DID think to have two little plastic calculators with me, and probably will Take 30 extra secs at T1 and take it with me at T2, I don't want ANY outside assistance, I'm crossing that finish line on my own. So I can calculate as I go.

If it's fitness, nothing to do but keep at it. It'll come.

What's funny is that I had a 6.5 mi run today and I barely touched 22 oz in 95-100 degree weather, so I seem to be adjusting to it.

One thing is that Vegas is hot, hilly, and windy, and pretty much all my running has been done at elevation gains many times over CDA and the bike also, so I think I'll get there and go, hey, this is FLAT!! lol I know the run is flat other than the hills, depending on the situation I may walk them and run harder on the flats, it's going to be adjusting on the fly. I think just by virtue of living here, the course as a whole itself is definitely easier, it's probably going to be much cooler than 100 degrees and maybe less windy than what I usually do.

I LOVE all the non-fitness aspects of triathlon, the nutrition, the transition, the figuring out what to take, the pacing, deciding how hard to go here, how easy to go there. I enjoy the micromanaging throughout the day. And it's very easy for me to zoom in on the next mile, the next step, etc., and shut out the distance at a whole. I can lose myself in the moment and I just love the feeling of feeling the body move, and I imaging bones, ligaments, muscles, etc. moving. And I just love to swim, bike, and run, so this just gives me more of it Whenever there's still a lot left to go I always remember I'm CHOOSING to SBR and feel lucky that I get to do it and I'm in shape to do it.

2013-06-06 2:09 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by GatorDeb I'll have the Garmin, and Elapsed time and all that. I do know that I need 14:30 per mile (including those pesky last .2) if I hit the bike cutoff to the second and take 5 mins at T2. So I'll have it all set up, last mile pace, average pace, time, elapsed time. I DID think to have two little plastic calculators with me, and probably will Take 30 extra secs at T1 and take it with me at T2, I don't want ANY outside assistance, I'm crossing that finish line on my own. So I can calculate as I go. If it's fitness, nothing to do but keep at it. It'll come. What's funny is that I had a 6.5 mi run today and I barely touched 22 oz in 95-100 degree weather, so I seem to be adjusting to it. One thing is that Vegas is hot, hilly, and windy, and pretty much all my running has been done at elevation gains many times over CDA and the bike also, so I think I'll get there and go, hey, this is FLAT!! lol I know the run is flat other than the hills, depending on the situation I may walk them and run harder on the flats, it's going to be adjusting on the fly. I think just by virtue of living here, the course as a whole itself is definitely easier, it's probably going to be much cooler than 100 degrees and maybe less windy than what I usually do. I LOVE all the non-fitness aspects of triathlon, the nutrition, the transition, the figuring out what to take, the pacing, deciding how hard to go here, how easy to go there. I enjoy the micromanaging throughout the day. And it's very easy for me to zoom in on the next mile, the next step, etc., and shut out the distance at a whole. I can lose myself in the moment and I just love the feeling of feeling the body move, and I imaging bones, ligaments, muscles, etc. moving. And I just love to swim, bike, and run, so this just gives me more of it Whenever there's still a lot left to go I always remember I'm CHOOSING to SBR and feel lucky that I get to do it and I'm in shape to do it.

A note on the calculations.  Always keep moving forward.  Don't stand there in T2 punching numbers in a calculator.  START WALKING and punch numbers in a calculator.  30" in a transition is nearly 1" per mile over a marathon.  It adds up.  Mantra of the day...KEEP MOVING FORWARD.  Keep all stops to a minimum unless absolutely necessary.  Also, make sure one of the displays on your Garmin is CURRENT TIME OF DAY.  Seriously...after 12-15 hours your brain gets a bit mushy and trying to figure out total elapsed time on the Garmin could be hard.  If you have a plain old watch or just time of day posted on the Garmin you will *always* know exactly how much time is left before midnight.  That is a FAR easier calculation than figuring out how long it's been since you started.  Who knows if you accidentally stopped the Garmin at some point or whatever could happen...that time of day on some electronic gadget will be comforting....

BTW, 5' in transition for an IM is a lofty goal.  The transition areas tend to be larger than most tris and you are generally doing more.  I know at IMFL it takes nearly 5' just to walk or run through transition, and that doesn't include stopping to get your bag and such.

Also, do not plan on keeping an even pace on the run.  There are few truths in an IM but almost universally people NEVER run the final miles as fast as the first miles.  There are a super human few that even split or even negative split, but that certainly isn't me and I will go out on a limb and say it probably isn't you either.  You also need to know what your average walking pace is.  I know that about the fastest I can walk a mile is 17-20 minutes.  When I reached the point where run/walk was taking me 16-17 I knew that it was fairly pointless to keep trying to run much more and I definitely switched to a more walk-centric strategy.  But I also kept calculating in my head (using the worst case of 20' per mile to keep the math simple) whether I could make the cutoff if I started walking "now".  Somewhere past 18 or so I realized I could make the cutoff and I was able to walk a lot of the uphills and such (at that point "running" was almost laughable).  I ended up running MOST of the last mile (it was flat, and cheering crowds help) but I walked a LOT of 18-24 because I had the math in my head to back it up.

I guess in the end what I am saying is that you shouldn't try to min pace your day.  A LOT of things can happen in an IM to slow you down.  You NEED to build in a cushion because you WILL use it.

2013-06-06 5:12 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Good tips thanks For the run definitely it's going in my tri suit before I use it, and it's off to running.

For the bike I can't steer and calculate at the same time lol I know I need 13.6 MPH with 2 hour swim and 15 min T1, putting me at 9:15 when I start pedaling, so really it's only taking 510 (8.5 hours, bike cutoff is 5:30p) minutes and adding or subtrating mins from 9a, dividing my 112, and rounding down and dividing 60 by that #. I've done that so many times that I can do that within 30 seconds, and those are 30 seconds I don't mind spending so that I have a # to beat for the bike. So if I'm pedaling by 9a, that's 13.19 MPH, which is the goal (to be pedaling by 9a).
2013-06-06 5:19 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by GatorDeb Good tips thanks For the run definitely it's going in my tri suit before I use it, and it's off to running. For the bike I can't steer and calculate at the same time lol I know I need 13.6 MPH with 2 hour swim and 15 min T1, putting me at 9:15 when I start pedaling, so really it's only taking 510 (8.5 hours, bike cutoff is 5:30p) minutes and adding or subtrating mins from 9a, dividing my 112, and rounding down and dividing 60 by that #. I've done that so many times that I can do that within 30 seconds, and those are 30 seconds I don't mind spending so that I have a # to beat for the bike. So if I'm pedaling by 9a, that's 13.19 MPH, which is the goal (to be pedaling by 9a).

Have you thought about creating a table before the bike that you can keep in a ziploc for reference?  Say in 5-10' increments figure out how fast you have to go.  Then all you have to do is look at your watch, know what time you're starting, and reference the table for how fast you have to go.  You'd only need to run 4 or 5 numbers.  I mean, start with best case scenario (what, 1:45 swim 15' T1?) and go up in 5-10' increments to worst case...2:20 swim with 15'T1....Then your math is already done.

2013-06-06 5:25 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by jldicarlo

Originally posted by GatorDeb Good tips thanks For the run definitely it's going in my tri suit before I use it, and it's off to running. For the bike I can't steer and calculate at the same time lol I know I need 13.6 MPH with 2 hour swim and 15 min T1, putting me at 9:15 when I start pedaling, so really it's only taking 510 (8.5 hours, bike cutoff is 5:30p) minutes and adding or subtrating mins from 9a, dividing my 112, and rounding down and dividing 60 by that #. I've done that so many times that I can do that within 30 seconds, and those are 30 seconds I don't mind spending so that I have a # to beat for the bike. So if I'm pedaling by 9a, that's 13.19 MPH, which is the goal (to be pedaling by 9a).

Have you thought about creating a table before the bike that you can keep in a ziploc for reference?  Say in 5-10' increments figure out how fast you have to go.  Then all you have to do is look at your watch, know what time you're starting, and reference the table for how fast you have to go.  You'd only need to run 4 or 5 numbers.  I mean, start with best case scenario (what, 1:45 swim 15' T1?) and go up in 5-10' increments to worst case...2:20 swim with 15'T1....Then your math is already done.

Already did, and emailed to myself lol Then I came up with the calculator idea.
2013-06-06 6:27 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jldicarlo

Also, make sure one of the displays on your Garmin is CURRENT TIME OF DAY.  Seriously...after 12-15 hours your brain gets a bit mushy and trying to figure out total elapsed time on the Garmin could be hard.  If you have a plain old watch or just time of day posted on the Garmin you will *always* know exactly how much time is left before midnight.  That is a FAR easier calculation than figuring out how long it's been since you started.

This is a very good point. I am an engineer and very good at math and at the end of an ironman, I can't think worth crap. At IMWI in september, in the last mile, someone around me asked what time it was. I was the only one that had it set up on their garmin to be able to tell the time of day. 8:25ish. It took me about a minute looking at that number to be able to say "We're going to finish in under 13:30!" most people around were very happy to hear that. So 1) no one else had time of day display on their garmin, and everyone around me was also in too much of a haze to do a simple math calculation.

2013-06-06 6:31 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by Daffodil
Originally posted by jldicarlo Also, make sure one of the displays on your Garmin is CURRENT TIME OF DAY.  Seriously...after 12-15 hours your brain gets a bit mushy and trying to figure out total elapsed time on the Garmin could be hard.  If you have a plain old watch or just time of day posted on the Garmin you will *always* know exactly how much time is left before midnight.  That is a FAR easier calculation than figuring out how long it's been since you started.
This is a very good point. I am an engineer and very good at math and at the end of an ironman, I can't think worth crap. At IMWI in september, in the last mile, someone around me asked what time it was. I was the only one that had it set up on their garmin to be able to tell the time of day. 8:25ish. It took me about a minute looking at that number to be able to say "We're going to finish in under 13:30!" most people around were very happy to hear that. So 1) no one else had time of day display on their garmin, and everyone around me was also in too much of a haze to do a simple math calculation.

My coach had an athlete convince herself that she couldn't make the cutoff...when it was still daylight outside.  IM turns your brain to mush! :D

2013-06-06 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by GatorDeb Well, here's my training volumes for 2012 and 2013:

2013 (up to Sunday, 23 weeks) Run 65.28 364.18 mi

2012 Run 123.25 626.71 mi

364 miles of running this year is just not anywhere near enough for a newbie in IM training especially the way you're doing it with the weekly long run accounting for nearly all your running.  The fact you're not injured is amazing in itself.

This is what we have been telling you for the past however number of months.  If this is your coach's plan and you're following it to a T, then your coach has no idea what she's doing.  I wouldn't pay $3 per month for this advice, let alone $300.  As much as I dislike BT's free plans, the BT plans would at least have you way better prepared and trained than what you're doing.

You're going to realize this come June 23rd.  You'll feel cheated when it comes to your race.  You'll feel cheated when it comes to your training.  You'll feel cheated when it comes to your bank account.

I applaud your life change.  Those before and after pics are amazing.  You're just going about your training (for an Ironman) completely wrong.

2013-06-06 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by GatorDeb

Somebody trains more than 13.80 hours for a Sprint? Must be going for a high placing, because I don't think most people would say you need that many hours for a Sprint.

Of course you don't need that many hours to complete a sprint but if one is trying to train toward their potential, then 14 hours would be on the low side of a solid weekly training volume.

Of course this also highlights the fact that there is a huge misunderstanding in how to train for endurance events, regardless of distance. If you were to look at good training plans for a short course athlete, someone with a HIM focus and someone training for IM, the plans would have many more similarities than differences. There will be some differences in the race specific block but the majority of training will be very similar.

Shane
2013-06-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by GatorDeb Somebody trains more than 13.80 hours for a Sprint? Must be going for a high placing, because I don't think most people would say you need that many hours for a Sprint.
Of course you don't need that many hours to complete a sprint but if one is trying to train toward their potential, then 14 hours would be on the low side of a solid weekly training volume. Of course this also highlights the fact that there is a huge misunderstanding in how to train for endurance events, regardless of distance. If you were to look at good training plans for a short course athlete, someone with a HIM focus and someone training for IM, the plans would have many more similarities than differences. There will be some differences in the race specific block but the majority of training will be very similar. Shane

It's not a coincidence that Vegas and Kona qualifiers tend to do very well at the local short course races.

2013-06-06 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I'll have the Garmin, and Elapsed time and all that. I do know that I need 14:30 per mile (including those pesky last .2) if I hit the bike cutoff to the second and take 5 mins at T2. So I'll have it all set up, last mile pace, average pace, time, elapsed time.

If you're going to be as close as you think you'll be, you may want to factor for 26.5 or 26.75 miles. You're not going to hit the tangents perfectly. I recently led a pace group for my local marathon and used 26.5 for my calculations. It'll be a few seconds per mile faster than your 14:30.

2013-06-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by BernardDogs

If you're going to be as close as you think you'll be, you may want to factor for 26.5 or 26.75 miles. You're not going to hit the tangents perfectly. I recently led a pace group for my local marathon and used 26.5 for my calculations. It'll be a few seconds per mile faster than your 14:30.

Good point BernardDogs. In most of my marathons my Garmin read 26.3-26.5 at the finish.
2013-06-06 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

erik - Yep, we have sat down and gone over that. I have a range of calories for days I don't work out and then increase depending on the day's workout, and specific targets for example for a long bike ride. For long workouts I log into TP what I had during the workout.

Diet is about more than just calories, it's not just about how much you eat, but WHAT you eat.

It's about carbohydrates, fat and protein and it's about minerals and vitamins.

It's about simple and complex carbohydrates and glycemic index (GI) and glycemic value and how this is affected by combination with other foods. It's about mono- and polyunsaturated fats, omega-3 and -6, saturated fats and transfats, some are good, some are bad, and some are really bad. It's about protein and amino acids, more particularly essential and non-essential amino acids. It's about how some vitamins and minerals requires the presence of the other to be absorbed, some are water soluble other fat soluble.

You may get enough protein but if it's the wrong kind it's of no use. The body can synthesize non-essential amino acids from essential amino acids, whereas essential amino acids must come with the diet. Deficiency in an essential amino acid can limit the entire protein synthesis and regeneration of muscle and other tissue.

When you workout muscle is damaged, broken down and must be rebuilt, and more so with prolonged workouts and intensive training. Glycogen stores must be replenished between workouts. You can be in a state of permanent overtraining if your diet does not provide what the body needs to recover. And of course, you also need to give the body enough time to recover. If you're overtrained, progress halts and all advice to run more, ride more, swim more, is just not gonna do it.

A sign of overtraining is lack of progress over extended periods. I think this is the third time (more?) the last 6 months you complain about being slow and not getting faster. Most advice has been to swim, ride and run more, if this doesn't give results, overtraining is a possible explanation. Overtraining is counterproductive to reaching your goals.

Your coach and dietician should work together to find a diet that is adjusted to your exercise level. And yes, that can possibly include a day to day plan detailing each meal and being adjusted to periods of base training, speed training, race prep, taper, raceday, recovery etc.

Good luck.
2013-06-07 4:02 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Busy weekend so I won't get to reply until Monday, but wanted to add this:

It's already over 100 degrees here, the 20 mi run was 95-100+. I ran Wednesday 6.5 miles and I barely touched 22 oz and it was 95-100 degrees at the time. I've always done well in heat, it just seems it takes me a couple of weeks to adjust, and they just coincided with my IM build :/ But train in harsher conditions and the race seems easier!!

Reports of warmer weather ("warmer" in Idaho is apparently 70's ha) which bodes very well for the swim, water in the 60's instead of 50's.
2013-06-07 4:49 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by GatorDebBusy weekend so I won't get to reply until Monday, but wanted to add this:It's already over 100 degrees here, the 20 mi run was 95-100+. I ran Wednesday 6.5 miles and I barely touched 22 oz and it was 95-100 degrees at the time. I've always done well in heat, it just seems it takes me a couple of weeks to adjust, and they just coincided with my IM build :/ But train in harsher conditions and the race seems easier!!Reports of warmer weather ("warmer" in Idaho is apparently 70's ha) which bodes very well for the swim, water in the 60's instead of 50's.
Deb, I haven't seen anyone suggest you avoid drinking. I've only seen suggestions about drinking an appropriate amount. If you're running in 100 degree weather for nearly 90 minutes, you should do more than "barely touch" your water bottle. It's not an all or nothing proposition.
2013-06-07 5:10 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by GatorDebBusy weekend so I won't get to reply until Monday, but wanted to add this:It's already over 100 degrees here, the 20 mi run was 95-100+. I ran Wednesday 6.5 miles and I barely touched 22 oz and it was 95-100 degrees at the time. I've always done well in heat, it just seems it takes me a couple of weeks to adjust, and they just coincided with my IM build :/ But train in harsher conditions and the race seems easier!!Reports of warmer weather ("warmer" in Idaho is apparently 70's ha) which bodes very well for the swim, water in the 60's instead of 50's.
Deb, I haven't seen anyone suggest you avoid drinking. I've only seen suggestions about drinking an appropriate amount. If you're running in 100 degree weather for nearly 90 minutes, you should do more than "barely touch" your water bottle. It's not an all or nothing proposition.
I ran to thirst both times.

2013-06-07 8:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I ran to thirst both times.

Deb - maybe your perception of thirst isn't as accuracte as you would want it to be? I recently read an article where they walked through determining your sweat rate during running activities to more accurately ascertain the amount of liquid you should consume. Basically weighing yourself pre-run, run for a set amount of time, drink set amount of water and then weigh yourself when done. Then some simple math on your calculator to figure out how much more or less water you should drink. Maybe something to think about in the future. Here's a link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/drinks-hydration/know-thy-sweat-rate

I've regularly weighed myself before and after runs and find that 16oz per hour is pretty accurate for me. Obviously if its hotter then maybe I need a bit more. Even in cold weather in Michigan, due to wearing warm enough clothes, I still go through about 16oz per hour.

Edited by trisuppo 2013-06-07 8:03 AM
2013-06-07 8:26 AM

User image

New user
After reading all the comments, you might just have to be your own judge of this. I know I don't have to suffer through 100 degree heat in my long runs and I'm sure I'd be thirsting for more water if I did. Best case would be to ask someone in your region on how to deal with this hot weather running. I know that when you're already dehydrated from heat, your body can't replenish/rehydrate the water fast enough unless you take in some electrolytes. It does sound like you should have increased your mileage per week on running to acclimatize your body to running in heat, and less cycling to balance out your training.

Edited by Tmanishere 2013-06-07 8:27 AM
2013-06-07 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by Tmanishere

After reading all the comments, you might just have to be your own judge of this. I know I don't have to suffer through 100 degree heat in my long runs and I'm sure I'd be thirsting for more water if I did. Best case would be to ask someone in your region on how to deal with this hot weather running. I know that when you're already dehydrated from heat, your body can't replenish/rehydrate the water fast enough unless you take in some electrolytes. It does sound like you should have increased your mileage per week on running to acclimatize your body to running in heat, and less cycling to balance out your training.

She's just following the training plan as advised by her coach.

Edited by trisuppo 2013-06-07 9:08 AM
2013-06-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Some people have been harsh on here, but I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. I think they are frustrated that you may not be properly prepared. They are frustrated that your "coach" doesn't seem to be giving you sound advice. However, your comment that you don't even want someone to be at transition and do your calculations for you because you want to do this all by yourself caught my attention.

To me one of the cool things about this sport is that while the grit has to come from within (clearly you have it because you keep pushing along and have made an awesome change in your body and life), you can share the journey with family, friends, and other athletes. No one is putting in the miles running, biking or swimming for you. For that be proud and shout it out! However, allowing others to support you on your journey is not a sign of weakness. It is part of the awesomeness of the sport.

Good luck in your race! I can't wait to read all about it!!
2013-06-07 6:11 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not going to get into how to train for an Ironman or your training program.....I don't do them and am in awe of anyone who even attempts, but running in the heat is kinda my area of expertise.....In hot conditions, don't trust thirst--you can be pretty dehydrated before you feel thirst, esp. in humid weather. On the other hand, don't force down ridiculous amounts of fluid so you're bloated and (if it's only water) in danger of screwing up your electrolytes. As others have said, you can check before and after weight to see how much fluid you're losing. But a good starting point is to just plan on drinking every 10-15 minutes; you can even set a Garmin or some watches to ring an alarm to remind you. Normally I take about 3-4 swallows (not large gulps) of electrolyte drink each time. I'm a lightweight, so a bigger athlete might need more fluids, but I'm a pretty heavy sweater for my size, and do a lot of high-intensity training in high heat/humidity, so maybe not. This works out to about 750 ml per hour, a little more or less depending on humidity and intensity.

In the conditions you describe, I'd go with every 10 minutes on the run, maybe every 15 on the bike. It's what I do here in those temps in training and races. The standard for races in the tropics is aid stations every 2-2.5 km. on the run, which for me is 10-15 minutes, and sufficient. Slower athletes often carry their own fluids in a hydration belt or handheld to supplement this. As I recall, the Honolulu Marathon had stations every mile. Having only raced in temperate weather before, I couldn't believe people drank that much, but I attended the clinic they put on (where you do long runs on the course and attend some workshops on racing in the heat) and the coaches suggested you actually drink a little at every station, even people running under 8 min./mile. I did, and had a good race. Others I know didn't, and suffered. You have to work out what actually works for yourself but maybe my experience could be a starting point.

2013-06-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Ok, so here's today's run. The workout was to negative split it, so it was set up different than what I'm gonna do CDA. First six miles z2, then 3 miles z3, then pick it up to high z3 and finish off at 5K race pace.

85-100 degrees.

11:46 12:16 12:11 11:40 11:44 11:48 11:06 11:24 11:26 11:22 11:23 10:48

Nutrition: Gel and SaltStick at beginning of run, then one gel and SaltStick every 30 minutes.

Three X 22 oz of water with 1 Gu Brew electrolyte tablet each, 66 oz of water total.

First one lasted me 6 miles, sipping every 10 mins like HotRunner said. Second one lasted me five miles, sipped more often. I drank that last one during the last mile, not a drop left. Passed by my house to get that extra bottle. Would have drank more during those five miles in the middle if I had another bottle.

2:19:48, 12.09 miles, 11:34 minutes per mile.

I ran one mile then walked the first .05 miles of the next mile (about a minute, and easier to keep track of for me especially after an hour when the seconds disappear from the Garmin without having to keep switching screens). Kept this up the whole run.

z1: 100-128

z2: 128-137

z3: 137-144

z4: 144-150

z5: 150-167

First six miles, zone 2: 11:39 minutes per mile, 143 average heart rate, high zone 3.

Three miles in mid-zone 3: 11:27 minutes per mile, 154 average heart rate, zone 5

Last 3 miles, high zone 3, finish 5K race pace: 11:01 minutes per mile, 160 average heart rate, mid-zone 5, this is actually what I hit on 5Ks.

Weight before: 122 lbs.
Weight after: 119 lbs.

A little bit better.

SO, if I drank 66 oz and I lost 3 lbs, that's 66+48=114 oz in 2:19 or about 49 oz per hour to stay at the same weight. I don't think I can drink that much. 22 oz per half hour does seem like my rate if I plan it better, so about 44 oz per hour. The SaltSticks seems to work, as do the increased gels.
2013-06-08 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Akrenik: For me, races are different. In training it's camaraderie and helping each other and all that, but for me a huge part of triathlon is race-day execution. For things like calculating pacing and all that, I want to do it all myself, because that's part of the race. It's part of performing. Very different than training.

Re: 26.2 miles - DARN IT. THANK YOU for pointing out it may not be 26.2 miles to the dot. Thankfully there will be markers, I hope every mile, so I can cross-reference for the Garmin and see how many I have left and recalculate. DARN IT lol I would NOT have thought of that. Same with the bike I guess. I'm just gonna have to pace myself to finish within the cutoff time And stupid layered start, I'm gonna try to start as close to seven am as I can so that my race time matches clock time as closely as possible.

Erik: I don't eat PERFECT, but I do look at nutrients and all that, and try to do 1g of protein per lb of body weight and try to eat relatively low fat and around 50% carbs. My diet is mostly boneless skinless chicken breast, vegetables, fruit, cereal, soy milk, eggs, and oatmeal (MOSTLY, not ONLY, because I know somebody will say eating ONLY that is not healthy ).
2013-06-08 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It doesn't look like you "fell apart" this time. That is a tough workout to do in the heat (I call acceleration runs and longer tempo repeats "puke express" runs!), because you are never stopping/returning to recovery pace and allowing your core temp to drop. Of course your heart rate is probably going to drift upward and out of the desired zone by the end, due to your body working harder to cool itself. You may not realize it, but there's a lot of extra stress on your heart from the heat. I didn't really get this (since I almost always train/race in heat) until I was doing some indoor treadmill running last fall. I was setting speed by heart rate and actually ended up getting injured because I was running so much faster in the cool air-con--without the stress of the heat/humidity, my engine could handle a lot more speed. Unfortunately, the legs weren't ready for it yet!

As for weight, I find it's pretty inevitable to lose some on a long run/ride/brick/race. I'm a similar weight to you, and 3-4 pounds wouldn't be unusual. Even the pros finish several pounds lighter sometimes. What's important is to replace enough of it so you don't end up dangerously dehydrated or seriously impact performance.
2013-06-08 6:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I fall apart during my long runs? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Why no music during the run? Pages: 1 2

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 3653 Posts: 44

2011-04-26 4:20 PM Brightbow

Long run during maintenance and other running questions Pages: 1 2

Started by jsiegs
Views: 2343 Posts: 26

2010-11-27 10:50 AM jsiegs

Fell apart!

Started by swatops23
Views: 1452 Posts: 9

2010-06-28 1:00 PM trix

New bike gloves just fell apart

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1432 Posts: 11

2007-03-11 5:58 PM ragingferret

Races and Me and Falling Apart

Started by nliedel
Views: 1356 Posts: 16

2005-08-22 12:04 PM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : July 6, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 9
I am training for my first sprint tri and I am having the hardest time with the run. I just get really winded between the 1-1/12 mile mark.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.