General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base training and racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-03 5:24 AM

Subject: Base training and racing
Hi,
Being financially challenged I don't have a coach so I wondered if anyone could help me with the following: I'm in base training for a 1/2 ironman in October but I have an Olympic tri in 3 weeks and I don't know if I should do a few race specific sessions. Some training guides seem to think its ok to mix a bit of speed work with base whereas as others are set against it. It's just a C race but being a competitive SOB I will push myself. So should I just carry on with my base (zone 1-2 low intensity and strength work) and suffer in the race or add a few higher speed sessions in there to get used to the pace (but still suffer). What do you think?

2013-06-03 5:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: RE: Base training and racing
If there's only three weeks to go I wouldn't change much if you are not 100% comfortable you can do the distance without problems. I'd think volume is more important than speed work in your situation.

Edited by Dnn 2013-06-03 5:36 AM
2013-06-03 6:17 AM
in reply to: baoneer

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Until you have a solid base, do not add speed work. It's tough on your body and can easily result in reduced quality of your base work load.

This is why it's so important to have a periodized training plan... you need to have recovery weeks and recovery days (or day) to accommodate heavier loads.

3 weeks out and I wouldn't do any speed work... you really only have this week, after that, you need to taper.
2013-06-03 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
How long have you been training and what is your racing experience? If you are very new to endurance sports, then I would keep things mostly easy, focus on volume and then just see what happens on race day. If you have some experience, then there would be nothing wrong with doing a harder workouts in the next couple of weeks.

As to the notion that you can't do harder efforts during base training - there is nothing wrong with doing base training at a variety of intensities. It doesn't all need to be easy and slow and the idea that this is required is based on a misunderstanding of periodization and physiology. Aerobic adaptations happen across a wide variety of intensities.

Shane
2013-06-03 12:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base training and racing Rss Feed