Navy Tridents Triathlon Club
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 46s
Overall Rank = 14/150
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/30
Pre-race routine:

I showed up to the race site about an hour and a half before my start. I set up my transition area and headed inside to watch a few of the swim heats and relax. I got dressed about 40 minutes before and showed up for the pre-race breifing 20 minutes before my heat. I took a gu about 15 minutes before the swim.
Event warmup:

No much time for a warm up as the heats were pretty close together. I tried to get in a warm up lap but a goggle issue forced me out of the pool to make a quick switch.
Swim
  • 13m 22s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out pretty good and had a good pace going, I was careful about going out too fast and tried to relax. Something didn't feel right early on in the swim however, I just didn't have a good stroke going, it felt choppy. The other person in my lane and the next person over were side by side for about the first four laps. If I tried to speed up and pull away she came right along too. This was kind of anoying as we pretty much were staring at each others face on every breath, and I spent more time thinking about that, (making sure I looked good, :) ) then my stroke. So I figured why fight it and dropped back into her draft. I stayed there for the last 10 laps. The three of us were side by side all 15 laps. I came out of the pool knowing I could have pushed it more but I was happy to see 13:10 on my watch knowing I saved a bit of energy from the free ride. I was hoping for 12:30 but was happy with my result. I came out of the swim in 5th in my heat I believe, with the two people beside me just behind. I was about a minute behind the heat leader at this point.
What would you do differently?:

I had a new pair of goggles that ive only used twice before. I knew they had the potential to leak and sure enough as soon as I jumped in for my warm up lap they did. I hopped back out and rushed over to switch them out with a back up pair. This got me a little worked up and I really wasn't relaxed right from the start of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I put my shoes on in transition as I have a set of road cycling shoes and they are kind of hard to get on when they are already clipped into the bike. The run to the mount area was ok even with them on.

Pratice more. This was only my second tri so I was pretty happy with how it went. There weren't any major problems.
Bike
  • 34m 33s
  • 20 kms
  • 34.72 km/hr
Comments:

I started the bike pretty good and caught 2 people on the first climb. I knew I still had a few people in front of me and hoped to catch them as I'm not the strongest runner and hoped to have a bit of a lead off the bike. I managed to catch the first two people in my heat by about km 4, just as we made a turn and had a slight tail wind for a stright shot down the runway. I started to open up some distance and by the third and final lap of the runaway I could tell that I had about a 1k lead. Starting off the runway and back to transition I made the decistion to slip my feet out of my shoes while going back down the hill. This went better then I thought it would as I have never practiced it. I came into transition with just over a minute lead. I was 7th overall on the bike however that was with the transition added in, I think if it was just bike time I was actually higher as some of the guys were lighting fast through there.

I might have gone a little hard on the bike as I didnt have alot of gas left once I was on the run. I also removed all my water bottles and cages from the bike. It was pretty warm out and I havent worked out in heat yet this year. It would of been nice to have a drink, but it wasn't a major problem. I do think I needed a gu or something while on the bike for an extra jolt for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Not too bad at this point. Shoes went on pretty quick. I had a water bottle there and took a pretty big drink as I was quite thirsty.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Man I suck on the run. Not sure if it was my lack of taper, not being used to the heat, too hard on the bike, not enough nutrition/water on bike, or the fact that Im 30 lbs heavier then everyone who finished ahead of me, lol. My legs felt great but I was breathing pretty heavy and couldn't seem to move faster then a 4:50/km, and even that was a struggle to hold. I got passed at the turn around and tried to pick up the pace but I just cuuldn't do it. I did manage to hang on by a few seconds for 2nd place in my heat.

I planned on training right through this race as i just spent a few weeks tapering and recovering so my legs were a little tired. Other then that I did the best I could with what I had to work with. Hopefully mu next race in a few weeks I will be able to test this theory.
Post race
Warm down:

Went for a quick cool down run. Had some orange slices, water, and a banana. talked to a few people the showered up and changed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training for sure. I dropped 12 minutes from last years sprint time, and increased my bike pace by 5km/h.

Event comments:

Overall I had a great race and was very happy with my finish. Ive got a a sprint coming up in two weeks that is almost identical in set up and layout so It will be intresting to see how much I learned from this one, and if a taper helps me run a little better. Race organization was great and all the heat times seemed to be right on scheduel.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:22 | 750 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 27/150
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU
Course: 15 laps of a 25m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:33 | 20 kms | 34.72 km/hr
Overall: 7/150
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Course was about a 2.5k ride out to the runway with the first 1k being up a hill. Once on the run way it was three laps of 5k and then back down to transition. The wind was at about 30 deg from one direction so there was always a bit of a cross wind but one direction did have a nice push.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:42 | 05 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Overall: 49/150
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along a gravel trail. It was pretty flat with no steep hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: Navy Tridents Triathlon

2013-06-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4764819

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Navy Tridents Triathlon

Congrats on the race and the awesome finish! Shaving off 12 minutes is a pretty HUGE deal!

I'd kill for that run time and I love to run! Your swim expereince cracked me up... having to "look good" since that annoying girl next to you just wouldn't back off.  

Great write up.

2013-06-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

I agree with everything Jen said - also chuckling at your "looking good" statement.  With a few more tri's under your belt, there'll be no stopping you from podium spots.   For only your second tri, you did amazing!   Congratulations, Derek!

2013-06-03 10:25 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
hey U still didn't look good...lol...but then I've never seen a good looking guy...lol

hey congrats, dropping time like that is GREAT!!! GREAT race and thanks for posting!

2013-06-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by jenbmosley

Congrats on the race and the awesome finish! Shaving off 12 minutes is a pretty HUGE deal!

I'd kill for that run time and I love to run! Your swim expereince cracked me up... having to "look good" since that annoying girl next to you just wouldn't back off.  

Great write up.

Ya my run time wasnt that bad but it was just funny to see my placing in the swim and the bike, and then to see my run time to be so far down the list. Ah well. my body type is suited to the float, hammer, and jog technique anyway, lol.
2013-06-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Derek I agree with everyone else taking 12 minutes off your time from last year is a huge deal. You did great and you'll only continue to improve. Your run wasn't bad at all either, maybe you just pushed a little harder than you thought on the bike so that might have just been how you paced yourself. Overall a great race, congrats.

2013-06-03 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4764819

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

It sounds like you had a really great race to me!  Anytime you can knock 12 minutes from the same course is a huge gain in confidence and fitness. 

I have not looked deeply into your logs to see your base volume for all of your training but it's not a requirement to have any more than a couple of days taper for a sprint race.  I would also add that taking much nutrition for this race would not have provided much benefit because of the time duration.  By the time the fuel would have hit your system you would have been done with the race.  However, if you want to take something on the bike I suggest you take something early and take it in liquid form, i.e. Heed, Gatorade, etc.

I do have to laugh about your attempt to impress your competition.  Next time I think you should blow her a little under water kiss to distract her.  Maybe that will make her laugh and she would have to slow down and you can use it to gain some space on her.

This was a solid race!   Congrats!!

2013-06-03 8:38 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Awesome race Derek, as everyone has said 12 minutes off your time is huge!
Also like the "looking good" comment. And your run was really good too! You did great for only your 2nd tri! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Navy Tridents Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Navy Trident's Triathlon

Started by axteraa
Views: 1419 Posts: 2

2010-06-06 1:34 PM gsmacleod

Navy Tridents Triathlon & Duathlon

Started by mtmacarthur
Views: 882 Posts: 1

2007-06-10 10:44 AM mtmacarthur

Navy Tridents Triathlon & Duathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1520 Posts: 1

2007-06-03 3:16 PM gsmacleod

Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1653 Posts: 2

2006-06-27 4:34 PM c2fd

Navy Trident Triathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1866 Posts: 9

2005-05-31 12:45 PM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?