Firm Racing
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

not much. set up and go. There was no chip in my bag when I checked in. A sure sign of things to come.

Spoke with Dick Hoyt for a while before the swim start. What a nice guy!
Event warmup:

short swim.
Swim
  • 26m 5s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

while I am pleased with my times, I was not happy with the swim in general. I had a tough time getting around people and at times it seemed like they were deliberatly blocking me. I actually caught up to the tail end of the group in front of me which just made the congestion even worse.

I was swimming next to one woman and we were slugging it out for entirely long, so I stopped to let her get ahead and see where her line was. I swear to god she goes into race-mode only when I'm next to her because now we're neck and neck again. So she slowed down when I backed off then speeds up again when I get near her. I was about ready to grab her leg and pull her under! Add that crap to the tail end of the wave in front of us and there was just nowhere to go. So yes, my time surprised me.
What would you do differently?:

drown the b!tch.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

faster than I thought it was.

remember to put on my race belt.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 16s
  • 24 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty disgusted for this entire ride. I saw EVERY FREAKIN BIKE in the race pass me by. I was ready to smack the next person who said "on your left." Of course you are, where else would you f*cking be?

And to all you jerks drafting and riding in packs, how can you take your bike split and feel good about it? I cannot believe how many g-d cheaters were out there today. And they all got to pass me more than once. Hell, even the runners got to pass my slow, fat ass.

Yeah, so I ride my fastest bike split this year but didn't know it until I checked my speedometer after the race. I was in a foul mood by the time I hit the run course. Used CamelBak trying to stay hydrated. Wished I had one for the run too.

sprout wings. Anything but draft.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Run
  • 1h 28m 34s
  • 6 miles
  • 14m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Totally sucked. I thought about bailing but knew I would be even more pissed if I did that. Out of the transition and thru a trail to get to the road. I wish I had known that before I signed up because I DON'T do trail running. Any. At all. Ever. Not since I broke an ankle doing it anyhow. And here I was running a freakin trail. Did not help my mood.

No mile-markers, and none of the water stop volunteers could tell you where you were on the course. I had one guy tell me I was 1/4 of the way done with the run. Ok, my brain is fried, can you just tell me how many goddamn miles that is? PLEASE?? He kept saying 1/4 of the way done. Fine, whatever.

So I ended up doing the death-march shuffle most of the way. Around the last turn and people are leaving the park in droves. I was surprised I didn't miss the awards and raffle. Also surprised there was any food left as this was not the case in Webster a few weeks ago. Not that I wanted anything to eat.

stay home.
Post race
Warm down:

took a cold shower in the bath house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow. That's all there is to it.

Event comments:

FIRM races leave a bad taste in my mouth. Four loops for a bike course is just f*cking lazy. It's advertised as "flat and fast" which I will now interpret to mean "recreational triathletes need not come here."

Didn't see a single person I know. That's just weird.

The whole time I was out there I was thinking that I really need to rethink why I do this. I mean, I know I'm slow but I usually have fun anyhow. That was not the case today. It was very hot and humid and I spent most of the race in a bad place, pissed at everyone and everything. If that's how longer races are going to be, maybe I need to think twice, three times about IMLP. That's going to be a long lonely race and I can't spend 17 hours being pissed off.

Times are from my watch. Who knows if they'll get my time at all since I ended up using chip # 441 or something like that.

Will not do this race again.

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:05 | 1760 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: weird oval-type course due to the shape of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:16 | 24 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Four loops of a 6 mile course. Pretty flat. I think it's a lazy RD who makes a race course 4 loops instead of coming up with a good ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:28:34 | 06 miles | 14m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: One loop of the bike couse, opposite direction. Most of the shade was long gone by the time I got out there.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 3:21 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: Old Colony YMCA Triathlon

2006-07-16 3:29 PM
in reply to: #483931

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Old Colony YMCA Triathlon

Hey Ellen,

You don't seem to be happy about this race.  I think you did well.  Your swim time was amazing!  Jorge was there, I think.  According to him, there are lots of elite racing.  So don't feel bad about those "on your left". 
Guess your run suffered due to the heat.  Your "stay home" comment is hilarious.    Don't be too hard on yourself.  You were out racing in a hot day.  You're better than many people. 

Dick Hoyt is cool.  He is nice to everyone. 

2006-07-16 6:43 PM

Online or Offline

Damn, you weren't joking when you messaged me about having a shitty day!! Come on, girl! It's just one race. You can't have all good races!

I think you just like boxing people when you swim...ask Glen!  

AT least you had a good bike split! You already know what I think about FIRM races..

2006-07-16 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

oh Ellen...I was thinking about you this morning doing this race.   I ran for 18 minutes and felt like dying in the hot sun.   At least you stuck it out.

You did awesome in the swim and bike though...great job!!

Sorry it was so crappy..... We'll have fun at Cranberry !!

2006-07-16 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Ellen,

Somedays are just off days...but come girl..you rocked the swim and the bike! It was bloody hot out there and you finished the run.

Next race will be better. Firm races are weird...but they have them every weekend and you can do one every weekend if you want.

Cranberry will be a blast....let's put in a call to the weather gods to be in the 70's and overcast with no rain that day! 

2006-07-17 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Sorry you had a tough day out there, but your RR made me chuckle. It was hot out everywhere this weekend; good job not giving up on the race. You make me nervous about FIRM races since I'm coming up for FIRMAN in Sept.

2006-07-17 1:10 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Ellen, Don't be so tough on yourself I think it was a tough day for everyone. I agree with you about the 4 loops at some points there were cluster of people and more than a few just plain cheating. But FWIW I was in the lead pack and we were switching passing-dropping out of the draft zone each other but at some points were stuck with other riders. I did pass a couple of guys on the 2nd loop and when I turn back they were happily drafting me, WTF! I surge for a few seconds and drop’em but I couldn’t help to laugh about their cynical way of cheating. (BTW it was a very competitive field) ANYWAY, we all have bad races and it seems you had yours, but it is only one race and now you can shake it off and look towards the next. Don’t let one bad day to spoil your fun for the sport. There will be a lot more good than bad days so don’t forget that. You are always welcome to race dash & bash

Good Job!

2006-07-17 2:19 PM

Expert
This is the single most depressing race report that I have ever read. I have done a couple of firm races and they are all pretty well run (not the best but not the worst). The course was advertised as four loops so it was no surprise there and the trail run was about a quarter of a mile long.

It sure did get congested at some points but you just deal with what is given on race day. I was probably one of the people that yelled on your left but maybe you are able to ride a straightline unlike a lot of other people on the bike. If you don't know I am coming, there is no guarantee you are going to stay right.

If this is not fun for you, don't race. There is no other reason to be there. If Oly's aren't fun, then just do sprints. I only do short course because I did a HIM last year and it was not fun for me. Racing is expensive and time consuming. I race because I love every aspect of it, the competition, the atmosphere, pushing yourself harder than you thought possible. I especially love situations like during the race when I dropped the water at an aid station and a runner behind me saw this and caught up to me with a full glass.

Please reevaluate why you are doing this and find the fun again. Nobody should have to pay to have the miserable experience that you had yesterday.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

Mark

2006-07-17 2:43 PM
in reply to: #485092

User image

Resident Matriarch

hey Mark,

it's my RR and I get to write what I want to write. If it's depressing to you, then don't read it. I know the course is advertised as a 4 loop course and choose to do it anyhow. It is my OPINION that an RD who chooses 4 loops of ANYTHING is just taking the easy way out. There are plenty of places to ride in this locale. As was pointed out by Kathy, FIRM has a race every weekend. It is MY OPINION that with a FIRM race schedule you get quantity over quality.

You want to see a well run race? Do something from TimeOut! or Endorfun. In the 7 years I've been doing triathlons, plenty of them were Olys. Only at a FIRM race do the last finishers need to worry about food and water being gone. Only at a FIRM race do the BOPs get to see their times listed as DNFs.  This has been MY experience with FIRM races.  If your experiences have been different than I am happy for you.

Race a mile in my shoes before you criticize my RR. 

Edited by TriMom217 2006-07-17 2:53 PM
2006-07-17 3:44 PM
in reply to: #485153

Expert
You're right, it is your race report and I am sorry for critizing your experience. I just hate to see someone be so unhapy at something that is completely voluntary.

But as I can see from your response, you do not care for any sort of criticism or suggestions and I will refrain from doing so in the future.

I wish you nothing but the best in your future races and I hope you find some joy in it again.

Mark
2006-07-17 3:48 PM

Online or Offline

Just suck it up biatch and join me for FirmMan. It'll be fun mothermothering the RD again after that race!! LOL

You dissed me last year on Moosey and TMan, don't do me nasty again this year Wink

2006-07-17 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Ellen...sounds like a tough day.  SOrry you didn't have fun because THAT is why we race!!!  Just wait for Cranberry and we willl make sure you have agood time!!!
2006-07-17 4:03 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i'm sorry you had such a bad time, despite your good race times. i love this report because you're so HONEST about it. so many times i find myself miserable but don't want to admit it. reading this was so refreshing and confirming that it really IS hard, and sometimes it really does SUCK! i was feeling bad for you while smiling knowing exactly how it felt. i know the 'on your left' on the run for sure. sometimes i feel like i shoudl just start running through the woods or people's yards to get out of the way! thank you for sharing this with us all. next time will be better (i hope!).
2006-07-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: #485252

User image

Resident Matriarch

so you've never had a bad day on a race course or just a race you weren't pleased with?  Lucky you.  It does happen you know.  It does not make me a miserable or joyless person.  It is one bad day out of 365 potentially good days.  You do not know me well enough to make assumptions about whether or not I like "criticism or suggestions."  My RR is a place for you to write WTG, or.....gee, that really sucks, but not to tell me to think about hanging it up.

You wanna affect how my race goes?  Don't draft. 

2006-07-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: #485286

User image

Resident Matriarch

Thanks Autumn, Sue, Kathy, Patty, et al, even you MY biatch 

Some days are just like that you know.  I'm really ok with that and on to the next one.  I'm never gonna win one of these things and I am totally fine with that.  I suppose if every race went perfectly there would be nothing to work on, right?  

I do have to add that those Hammer endurolyte things I took seemed to work as advertised.  I have trouble staying hydrated but seemed to do ok in that arena yesterday.

Thanks all, you are what I love about BT.  Even you Mark 

2006-07-17 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
I guess I am a sicko, but other people's misery just cheers me up! Thanks Ellen! I feel like a triathlete now.

(I averaged 4 mph in my mtn bike race)

2006-07-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #485289

Expert
Sorry, I am just a half glass full type of guy I was hit by a car during my last tri so I would say I have bad days but I didn't even let that ruin my day (though I didn't get to finish).

I hate drafting as much as you do so I promise you won't catch me sucking wheel.

edit - I think your report came off as more negative than it was meant to be (I am sorry if I am putting words in your mouth) and my response is more harsh than it was intended to be
so lets start over

Ellen - great race, way to tough it out, I hope it goes better next time

Mark

Edited by Stone 2006-07-17 4:29 PM
2006-07-17 4:29 PM
in reply to: #485309

User image

Resident Matriarch

maureen - 2006-07-17 5:17 PM I guess I am a sicko, but other people's misery just cheers me up! Thanks Ellen! I feel like a triathlete now. (I averaged 4 mph in my mtn bike race)

you're a sick, sick woman!  LOL  That's what I love about you! 

2006-07-17 4:32 PM
in reply to: #485327

User image

Resident Matriarch

Ellen - great race, way to tough it out, I hope it goes better next time Mark

Thanks Mark!  LOL  I'm only sorry I didn't get to meet you!  

Damn, you were hit by a car in a race?  Now THAT'S a bad race day!   

2006-07-17 5:16 PM
in reply to: #485327

Online or Offline

Stone - 2006-07-17 5:24 PM Sorry, I am just a half glass full type of guy I was hit by a car during my last tri

I'm starting to think that maybe you Connecticut boys like fighting cars - was that you or Capt Jack that got hit by a car at Cranberry last year???

/hijack

2006-07-17 5:30 PM

Hey El!
Aside from the hot and humid weather..... most triathletes taper for a race. Not go out and bike 30+ hilly miles and a run?! Don't ever forget. You achieved the most important goal of all: Finishing in the upright position, maybe not with a smile on your face, but on the same day you started!!!
I hope the t-shirt is a good one! Sorry it wasn't fun. The next race can only be better. And of course, YOU ARE GETTING STRONGER!
Keep that winning attitude. There are many more finish lines ahead.
Your tri buddy, and pedaling pal.
"DCtriathlete" aka "Girlfriend" : )
Donna

Edited by DCtriathlete 2006-07-17 5:32 PM

2006-07-17 5:33 PM

Online or Offline

HOLY ****!

Donna's "out"!! First post!  

2006-07-17 5:49 PM
in reply to: #485405

Expert
That was the capt that got run off the road last year...I guess they are aiming for us. I had a semi drunk lady decide to pull into her driveway in front of me while I was going about 35 mph. Luckily she gave me enough time lock up my breaks and my handlebars took the brunt of it...sure made the race more exciting.

Mark
2006-07-17 6:17 PM
in reply to: #485405

User image

Resident Matriarch
TypeA Girl Pilot - 2006-07-17 6:33 PM

HOLY ****!

Donna's "out"!! First post!

hehe...she had no choice, I sent her the link    

2006-07-18 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

ya know ellen, you really did accomplish a race that not everyone has the nads to even think of!!! YOu are in better shape than last year, please dont let this one get you down.

YEs, you are right about the 4 loops thing AND about no mile markers!!! Sunday was a hot day and those factors sure add to the drudgery of a race day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Old Colony YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2