General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo, Minnesota
United States
Buffalo Triathlon
50F / 10C
Total Time = 2h 16m 53s
Overall Rank = 36/397
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/50
Pre-race routine:

got up early. Ate traditional green pancakes.

Arrived at buffalo early. was surprised to see that i was the first person to put my bike in transition.
Event warmup:

rode bike for about 5 miles. slight warm up. mainly wanted to make sure bike was all set-up properly
Swim
  • 19m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

was shooting for low 18 minutes. i think i took it a little too easy. I started in wave 8 so there were close to 300 people in front of me.

I was actually surprised how little traffic there was. i really only have to move around a handful of people.
What would you do differently?:

push it a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

no real issues.

try to run in transition. this is a fairly long transition distance.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.56 mile/hr
Comments:

the first 8 miles were congested with the sprint racers. after the olympic distance turn off happened it really cleared out.

I was passed by many people going up hill and passed a some people on the flats.

It was very windy out. It was nice to race with my helmet and wheels. I just relaxed my torso as much as possible to be as aero as i can. I improved by almost 2 minutes over last year, even though it was much windier. Most competitors had a significantly slower bike split from last year, so that is promising for the race season.

I am a little intrigued/concerned about the fact that my heart rate was where it was supposed to be at the beginning and decreased the whole ride. My legs were telling me they were working hard, but 140s is way to low for a race.

I need to work on hills.

I also think i need to have longer interval training. I need to be able to maintain a hard effort for that distance of race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

no real incidents

nothing pretty pleased
Run
  • 45m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

started running at 7 min/mile. had to stop for a second at the mile one to remove 2 rocks in my shoe that were driving me nuts. Right when i started going up the hill around mile 2.5 i was getting a side stitch. I slowed down and nothing changed, so i had to walk for a few seconds. Then i got passed by the first person in my AG. He was not flying along. so i thought i could maybe hang with him in sight.

At the turn around i felt much better and then i got to go down the big hill. It was nice. just keep my feet under me and let it fly.

I never saw the guy that passed me again. I tried to pick it up to see if i can catch him. I felt good the rest of the way in.

Then with about 50 yards to go, i was slowly passed by another guy in my AG. I then told myself to pass him. When i passed he did not change his effort at all. I beat him by one second.

drink a little more water and a little less nutrition on the bike. I think that is why i was cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

Once pukey feeling subsided,then i waded into the lake. it was nice and cold and felt good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hill training in both running and biking. also the lack of speedwork. I have had great mileage for me and that helped, but i need to be able to embrace the highend pain of pushing the pace.

Event comments:

Over-all this was a 5 minute improvement from last year. With the wind, i am very happy with my performance. usually the top 3 in each age group are around 2:10. none of the fast people were there today. SO i am pleased with 2nd place in my AG.

The past 2 years the post race food was very good. this year it was cookies, some bananas and apples not enough for every race. there were 3 food trucks there that people could buy food. I suppose i should plan a little recovery food and bring it with me. Mcdonalds was very grateful for the lack of food. wow they were packed.

This is still a very well run race. I know of a couple of timing issues, but that unfortunately will happen. There are so many volunteers and traffic is well tended to.I look forward to racing it again next year.

It was great to chat with Ryan, jodi, and david after.

Last updated: 2013-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:02 | 1640 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/50
Overall: 5/397
Performance: Average
Suit: full sleeved
Course: counterclockwise lap
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:42 | 24.85 miles | 21.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/50
Overall: 71/397
Performance: Good
HR started at 170 and stayed in the 160's first 6 miles. then is started to decrease down to 140 by the end.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: it basically does one loop around lake buffalo.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/50
Overall: 125/397
Performance: Good
HR rose to 155 immediately and steadily rose to 175 through the rest of the race
Course: This is an out and back with a god size hill at the halfway point
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 6:03 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-06-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4765557

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job on the huge PR and 2nd place!  That's very odd news about the food...
2013-06-12 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Great race! I should get some swimming lessons from you, that is a wicked fast swim split. I noticed the wind some on the bike but it didn't seem that bad. But when I'm in race mode I just concentrate on going fast. So your kick got you sunglasses instead of socks, nice upgrade! I took my gear back to the car and changed then checked out the food. All they had left was cookies and water. Way different than past years, pulled pork sandwiches.
2013-06-13 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
This really was an awesome race for you, Pete. Congrats!! I was so excited to see only one bike in all of transition when I got there, thinking I had actually beat you for once. In the past I hadn't shown up until an hour or even hour and a half after transition opens. It was nice to be a little more relaxed, more social, and also have time for a good warm up. That was an outstanding swim for you. I've heard some say that the average time was a little high, and that people thought the course was a little long. What were your thoughts? I knew I had a head start (my wave) by 6 minutes, and when I finished the swim in 26:00, I thought we would be pretty close, and that I may be able to catch you on the bike. When I saw you on the out-and-back, you were 2.5 minutes ahead of me (almost a mile still), and I knew there was no way I could get up to you by the end of the bike. You put down a great run as well! Was that a personal best for an Olympic run? People claim that you can't win the race in the swim, but you can lose it. You might be the example of someone who CAN win the race from the swim! Great transitions, as well! Congrats on the second place AG!
2013-06-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Minneapolis, MN
The swim course was a little different then past years. It was a little less square. It made for a longer swim back into the beach from the furthest point out, but the swim back in was not directly into the sun like past years. I don't know if it was longer. I was planning on being in under 18:30, but 35 seconds is not a lot with so many variables.

I also notice most elite racers were slower for the whole race to past years.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mjewen
Views: 1299 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 10:27 AM mjewen

Started by shohen
Views: 1273 Posts: 4

2012-07-16 7:14 PM ejshowers

Started by ddahms
Views: 944 Posts: 2

2012-06-04 9:15 PM rdailey1

Started by peteweb55403
Views: 1541 Posts: 4

2012-06-11 11:00 AM mjewen

Buffalo Creek Short Course Triathlon

Started by mtskibum
Views: 1142 Posts: 4

2008-06-23 2:46 PM DickDime
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.