World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m 21s
Overall Rank = 29/2345
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/392
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this back in Nov/Dec. At the time I signed up I set a goal of getting a Vegas Spot. I figured there would be 2 or 3 spots and so in effect the goal was top 3 in AG.
I got some coaching help from Heath Dotson (he came 3rd in my AG) of HDCoaching.net. Great great guy and all sorts of knowledge if anyone reading wants to look into a great coach.
Will cut to the chase. Had an terrible beginning to the year with a run injury, that had me out of running until the White Lake HIM which was 8 wks before Raleigh. I actually intentionally DNFed White Lake b/c I did't want to try push the run. Then in the last 6 weeks with some consistant running finding its way into my program I ran into a life/Job change which really started to suck it out of me both in terms of time to train and that in turn took away the motivation to really get after it. I sort of gave up on the race somewhat in that I figured top 3 was long gone and hell top 10 would be a stretch. i entered race day without any thought of any placing. I was going to give it my all and what I had on the day is what it was. Fast, slow, high , low it was what it was . Actually looked forward to getting through the race so I could get rid of the stress of feeling guilty for missing workout after workout.

Race day I woke at 4:45am had 2 cans of boost and a bannana as well as some brown water that the hotel room called coffee. Picked up Louiskie at 5:45am and drove us to the shuttle pick up.Like a lot of people I left the wetsuit in the car b/c hell would freeze over before this one was going to be legal. Well Luie Cipher is sitting drinking a frozen daquiri as we speak. Guess I should have taken the suit.
Event warmup:

hang out waiting for the start. Chatted with Bill and Louis. Oh yeah took a tinkle in the lake.
Swim
  • 38m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Compared to the only other 2 swims I have had this year it went great. Now those other 2 were awful, so anything that involved keeping my head above water was going to be good. I think I did a decent job. Not fast, but it seemed as though overall it was a slow swim.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe pushed some more once I knew I was going ok.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

very long T1 and so I had to run what seemed to be at least 150yds on asphalt in bike shoes.
Other than that it was just a calm get it done deal. Not frantic fast, but not out on a stroll type of thing.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 27m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.79 mile/hr
Comments:

From the get go I could feel I did not have great legs. The power numbers were just not there. I was using a rental wheel so the powermeter was not mine and I was not sure if calabration was off or if I was just not going great. I basically decided to not be a slave to a number I was not sure was right. Decided to ride on feel. With the rolling course and lots of climbing compared to where I live, not having great legs was not awesome. I think I ultimately rode well below what I should have done out there from a power point of view. the result was still ok, but not as good as it could have been.

on the day not much
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

I did not take my feet out of my shoes coming up to T2. There was a big climb up to T2 so I opted to stay in shoes and just run through T2 with them on.
I put socks on for the run which is something I don't normally do, but I have had a few blister issues in other races this year.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 25m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

started the run and legs did not feel great. Lower legs, both calves and shins, were store and tight. I was just hoping that it was just going to take a mile or so to get my running legs. I waited and waited and they never really showed up. This run ended up being a battle from the 1st step to the last. On a course like this you never really had an opportunity to get your legs under you if it was not really your day.
I just went mile by mile and landmark by landmark (I knew the course from when I lived in Raleigh)
I was passing people and spectators were saying how strong I looked, but I was struggling on this one. The last 2mi was the hardest 2mi I have ever run and I have done my fair share of running. At the end of it I was still able to finish pretty strong down the finish. Not my best run by a long way, but I am proud b/c I had to fight from step 1 to the last step and I did that. I ended up with, from what I can tell, the fastest non pro run on the day. Hey not to bad for an old guy on a not so good day.

Basically did this off of 8wks of running. That is neither here nor there. On the day with the cards that I drew I could not have done better. Hopefully next time I just wake up with better legs.
Post race
Warm down:

waited for Louis to finish and then hung with him until we could get our stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Solid day, but just not my day to really fly. On the day I don't think I could have really done anything any better.

Event comments:

The race was a great effort by all. Great support from the community and awesome volunteers. Even though it is raleigh in June I would do it again.

Last updated: 2012-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 78/392
Overall: 427/2345
Performance: Good
Suit: I wish
Course: rectangle anti clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:27:23 | 56 miles | 22.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/392
Overall: 0/2345
Performance: Average
Wind: Tailwind
Course: Rolling with some long grinding sections
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:25:19 | 13.1 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/392
Overall: 11/2345
Performance: Average
Course: Ot and back with a lot of tough climbs. Very hot out around 90.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-04 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

2013-06-04 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4766363

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
Beast mode! Congrats on the superb performance and the Vegas qual! Solid race, Daryn!

That run split, on a day like that, is outstanding.
2013-06-04 9:11 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
That counts as a weak run? In those conditions, with the prep that you've had. I don't think so.

Great work on getting through this one.
2013-06-04 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I really want to see what you can do on solid training on a day when your legs are all good! This was an amazing performance! I was looking for you on the run and was pretty surprised at how few people I saw before I saw you coming the other way. It was a hard day and you just nailed it. Great getting to spend so much of the weekend fussing over the race with you!
2013-06-04 9:56 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
@Colin I would not say it was a weak run, but I did not feel great from the get go so I believe it could have been better.

@Louis see what I can do on proper training? Like we talked about. Potential doesn't mean jack if you can't figure out how to do the training. I obv think there is a lot more there if I can figure out life and injury issues. Right back at you about the weekend.
2013-06-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats, Daryn!! Awesome race!! It was good to meet you on Saturday.

In response to this quote from your report:

"Even though it is raleigh in June I would do it again"

Just wait until 2015. Rumor is that the race date is May 31!!!!!!

2013-06-16 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
Great way to fight through! Congrats on the Vegas spot.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 1570 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 3:08 PM enders_shadow

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1201 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 9:16 AM La Tortuga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1855 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 11:12 PM Chunga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1507 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:40 PM tarheeltri

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1426 Posts: 4

2013-06-03 5:24 PM tarheeltri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.