General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Washing tri clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-05 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Washing tri clothing

Couple of questions about washing all the gear we wear during training.  This stuff is not cheap and needs to be taken care of, and it does have some special needs as I've found out.

1. First a comment.  Looked at my Speedo Jammers for washing instructions and it said "No chlorine bleach".  As I read that, I smelled the chlorine from the pool.  I get it, but . . .

2. How often do you wash your bike shorts.  After every ride?  Once a week?  Magic number or personal preference?

3. Screwed up and put a pair of tri shorts in the dryer.  The "2XU" reflective tape ended up on a t-shirt.  As a rule, anything that is spandex-y should not make it into the dryer - right?  Any other generalizations to be aware of?

4. What are the "Do not do this" things that you've discovered.

2013-06-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Washing tri clothing
No washer, no dryer (learned the hard way)

Now its hand wash only, drip dry.

Wash everything after each use. It would be like not washing underwear after you use it.

Edited by Mike_D 2013-06-05 9:34 AM
2013-06-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Regular
I do use the washer. I wash in cold water, delicate cycle and use Penguin Sport Wash. I typically do not put in the dryer. I wash every article of clothing after it is used once. Swimsuits get hand washed with Woolite and hung in the shower to drip dry.

Jami
2013-06-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: jdotten

I train every morning. I wash all the training clothes and towels and hats, etc. in cold water each morning. I place my soaked shoes in the sun to air dry daily. If I swim later in the day or in the evening I hand wash my swim suit and air dry.

It is simpler this way. The clothes don't sour. My wife doesn't have to deal with dried sweat stinky clothes.
2013-06-05 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hand wash all swim\tri\bike gear after every use. Hang to dry.
2013-06-05 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
I hand wash my bike shorts and tri suit, anything with spandex, after every use. Any other technical fabrics get washed in the washer, but never with bleach, and never with fabric softener. Fabric softener tends to make them smell bad.

2013-06-05 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i don't put any of my workout/race clothes in the dryer, i let it all hang dry. i'll handwash my swim suits and tri top/bottoms.
2013-06-05 10:00 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Utah
I have a separate basket for training clothes and I wash them all together, on cold, hand wash cycle, then hang them to dry. I only wear each one once before it is "dirty".

The thought of wearing dirty bike shorts....yuck, yuck. yuck.
2013-06-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
I learned the hard way to wash bike jerseys and tri jerseys with zippers unzipped.  I had to replace a zipper on a bike jersey that came apart while washing or drying.
2013-06-05 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
I'm a wash in cold on gentle cycle, hang dry kinda guy.
2013-06-05 10:25 AM

User image

Machine Wash, cold water
Hang up on clothesline to dry.

No unnecessary heat.

(edit) I cannot even imagine imagining washing less often than every use. Yick!

Edited by DanielG 2013-06-05 10:26 AM

2013-06-05 10:33 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by DanielG Machine Wash, cold water Hang up on clothesline to dry. No unnecessary heat. (edit) I cannot even imagine imagining washing less often than every use. Yick!

x2

The only exception are my jammers, that I will hand wash in the locker room shower at the pool after swimming and then air dry when I get home.

Mark

2013-06-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by DanielG Machine Wash, cold water Hang up on clothesline to dry. No unnecessary heat. (edit) I cannot even imagine imagining washing less often than every use. Yick!

x2

The only exception are my jammers, that I will hand wash in the locker room shower at the pool after swimming and then air dry when I get home.

Mark

Yeah, those I hang up on my coat hangar hook above the rear door inside my car while I'm at work. They're usually dry by the time I go home.

My car always smells like chlorine

2013-06-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: jdotten

I used the Penguin Sport Wash until I found the same product much cheaper. If you look at the label, the company that makes it is ATSKO. You can order directly from them. I bought 2 64oz bottles in February and have just about finished the first one. We use it on the entire family's sports clothes.

http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sport-wash-residue-free-...
2013-06-05 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I tried all the sports washes and they all left my workout clothes still a little stinky.  I switched over to All Free and Clear (free of dyes and perfumes) Oxi.  The Oxi really knocks the odor out, like 100% out.

I wash everything in hot with the All Oxi and perfume/dye free fabric softener.  I've found the hot works best for odors and see no damage from it.

I air dry all tri shorts and anything I don't want to shrink.  I run everything else through the dryer and that doesn't seem to do any damage either.

I've never had a problem with wear and tear on my clothing.  In fact, I have some sport bras and running shorts that are 15+ years old and look just fine.

I never put my swim suit in the washer or dryer.  I hand wash in cool water with a touch of Woolite.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-06-05 11:13 AM
2013-06-05 11:37 AM

User image

Oh, Tide with Fabreeze Sport takes EVERYTHING out. Smell, chamois creme, sweat, everything. Great stuff:

http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-plus-febreze-freshness-sport...

2013-06-05 11:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by DanielG

Oh, Tide with Fabreeze Sport takes EVERYTHING out. Smell, chamois creme, sweat, everything. Great stuff:

Will need to try this one.
Thanks!
2013-06-05 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by TTom

Couple of questions about washing all the gear we wear during training.  This stuff is not cheap and needs to be taken care of, and it does have some special needs as I've found out.

1. First a comment.  Looked at my Speedo Jammers for washing instructions and it said "No chlorine bleach".  As I read that, I smelled the chlorine from the pool.  I get it, but . . .

2. How often do you wash your bike shorts.  After every ride?  Once a week?  Magic number or personal preference?

3. Screwed up and put a pair of tri shorts in the dryer.  The "2XU" reflective tape ended up on a t-shirt.  As a rule, anything that is spandex-y should not make it into the dryer - right?  Any other generalizations to be aware of?

4. What are the "Do not do this" things that you've discovered.

1. consider switching to poly suits for your next purchase. damn near indestructable. I have a pair going on its 6th year. Wash after every use, hang dry.
2. Every. Single. Ride.
3. Yeah, minimize the heat. I do machine dry shirts (because I can cycle through them every season w/ new race shirts) and some run shorts. Everything else gets hung.
4. I actually switched to regular detergent + 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda (I buy a bulk bag from costco). Has worked well, and cheaper than the specialty detergents (a bit). Vinegar rinse didn't seem to help or hurt, so I leave it out. Never had luck w/ the sports detergents.
2013-06-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: Lynn00

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Absolutely everything goes into the washing machine after 1 use, then hang to dry.

Some of my workout gear is now at least 10+ years old and still going strong. 

2013-06-05 12:19 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

I am amazed at how long the stuff lasts! Most of us seem to do pretty much the same: washer only, no dryer, no fabric softener. Swimsuit by hand. When I compare to how many times "work" clothes (dress shirt and slacks) can be worn/washed before they wear out, I think the "workout" clothes last longer. And they cost about the same (for guys, anyway).
2013-06-05 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I was and dry everything except cycling/tri shorts and jammers which I hand wash and air dry. When putting dry fit clothes in the dryer do not use a dryer sheet it takes away the clothes whicking ability.

I was all workout clothes after each time I wear them.

Edited by rick4657 2013-06-05 12:37 PM

2013-06-05 1:03 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

Machine Wash, cold water
Hang up on clothesline to dry.

No unnecessary heat.

(edit) I cannot even imagine imagining washing less often than every use. Yick!

x2
2013-06-05 1:05 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I wash everything in the washing machine after 1 use, always on cold. I guess I am the exception but I put everything in the dryer and 3 years, no issues with any of my clothes.
2013-06-05 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

that's what I use as well... the stuff is great and far cheaper than the true "sport wash" stuff.
2013-06-05 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I wash everything in the machine with Sport Wash. I have enough gear that I can do dedicated load each week. Anything with a chamois gets dried on the line. No chamois, into the dryer on low. I rinse all my swim gear (I wear poly jammers) with warm water after every swim, and hang it to dry. Chlorine and salt water are nasty on everything. After three or four swims, the jammers get washed with the other work out gear. My stuff lasts for years and never smells, unless I'm in it.

I like the tip about bulk Sports Wash.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Washing tri clothing Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How OFTEN do you wash your workout clothes? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 6314 Posts: 64

2011-08-26 11:13 AM mmrocker13

How do you wash your workout clothes? Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 2676 Posts: 39

2011-08-26 2:18 PM djastroman

How often do you wash workout clothes? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 11291 Posts: 74

2009-05-25 7:27 PM aarondavidson

Washing Clothes after a run Pages: 1 2

Started by ewricha
Views: 1994 Posts: 29

2009-02-01 9:53 AM Hazelmn

What to wash tri clothes with?

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1824 Posts: 15

2007-08-21 12:51 AM mm5093
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.