General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Washing tri clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-05 3:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Washing tri clothing
I tend to check the labels... Some clothes can be washed on a hotter cycle no problem, and some can even go on the dryer as well. Although you can't use fabric softener (or bleach) in any of my sports clothes.

Edit: by the way, I only found out recently that when manufacturers say 'cold' wash it's talking about 30/40C, which is not really cold...

Edited by tatous 2013-06-05 3:40 PM

2013-06-05 3:51 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Regular
Toronto, ON
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I wash everything in the washing machine after 1 use, always on cold. I guess I am the exception but I put everything in the dryer and 3 years, no issues with any of my clothes.

I put everything in the dryer. I wash everything in the machine after a single use, cold, with scent/dye free Tide, or sportwash if I have any left, with my dryer's "silvercare" cycle which, according to the box, adds silver ions to the wash to kill and prevent bacteria. I assume it works, although if the box had said it was elephant repellant I'd assume it worked for the same reason.

I'm too lazy to hang dry, so everything, including jammers, goes into the dryer on low, on a cycle that cuts off when the moisture coming off the clothes falls below a certain threshold. Unless there's heavy cotton in the load, most of my sports fabric seems to dry at the same speed, so this works well. I noticed the print coming off one of my Brooks race shirts, which I attribute to the dryer and cheap adhesive, but it doesn't bother me. I have not noticed any fabric deterioration in any of my tri shorts, bike shorts, underarmor compression gear, or swim suits.

The only thing that doesn't go into the machines is the wetsuit.

2013-06-05 3:56 PM
in reply to: fishwallop

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I have a nice pile of workout clothes on my floor from the past 1.5 week's workouts......I know what I'm doing when I get home!
2013-06-05 7:59 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
I wash all my gear in the shower with me after each workout. I put up another shower rod over the middle of the tub that I then hang my gear to drip dry. Once they stop dripping I hand them up in the yoga /workout room to finish drying and they are ready for the next day. No way would I leave soaking wet/ sweaty / stinky gear laying around to ferment here in Miami. I get no saddle sores/ rashes/ or skin problems that way.
Hope this helps
2013-06-06 5:30 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
We (my wife is a triathlete as well) wash everything on cold with Tide with Febreze and absolutely no fabric softener (which makes the chamois in the shorts fall apart way too fast). Everything is hang dried. Driers are not very good for delicate clothing and that's pretty much what athletic wear is....

You really HAVE to wash your bike shorts after each ride. Not only do they smell, but most importantly, it's a very fast an efficient way to get a severe saddle sore problem riding in dirty shorts. A saddle sore is basically an abrasion (which you will get weather you notice it or not) that gets infected (and that you will notice). There's been pro cyclists that has had almost an entire season lost due to saddle sores, so nothing to ignore.
2013-06-06 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Originally posted by TTom

Couple of questions about washing all the gear we wear during training.  This stuff is not cheap and needs to be taken care of, and it does have some special needs as I've found out.

1. First a comment.  Looked at my Speedo Jammers for washing instructions and it said "No chlorine bleach".  As I read that, I smelled the chlorine from the pool.  I get it, but . . .

2. How often do you wash your bike shorts.  After every ride?  Once a week?  Magic number or personal preference?

3. Screwed up and put a pair of tri shorts in the dryer.  The "2XU" reflective tape ended up on a t-shirt.  As a rule, anything that is spandex-y should not make it into the dryer - right?  Any other generalizations to be aware of?

4. What are the "Do not do this" things that you've discovered.

I wash all my sports gear (except swim suits) in the washer with my regular laundry...no special detergent, no special cycle.  All the tech gear hangs to dry, no dryer for the tech gear!

I will sometimes wear some tech gear (including bike shorts) more than once.  Typically no more than twice for bottoms...if all I did was wear the shorts for a one hour easy bike ride...seriously...they are NOT that dirty yet.

My swim suits never get washed.  After I get out of the pool I wear the suit into the shower and keep it on through shampooing of my hair.  After the hair is shampooed the suit comes off and hangs to dry (before being tossed into the trunk with the rest of my swim gear) and I finish my shower.

I never have a problem with stuff wearing out prematurely...so, lazy apparently works just fine. :D

2013-06-06 5:43 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
1. Not much you can do about it, save make sure they are thoroughly wet when you get in and then that you shower them off when you get out.

2. I shower in mine, so they get washed out after every ride. They go in the actual machine maybe every five-seven wears?

3. Well, once in the dryer won't (shouldn't) kill them. In fact, some people (e.g. My Dh) have theirs go in after every wash (on extra low or air only). Personally, I never dry mine. Everything is washed in cold, no fabric softener, with an ocyclean booster.

4. Do not wear 20-year old threadbare yellow shorts in a group ride?
2013-06-06 5:43 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Edited by mmrocker13 2013-06-06 5:47 AM
2013-06-06 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I wash all my sports gear (except swim suits) in the washer with my regular laundry...no special detergent, no special cycle.  All the tech gear hangs to dry, no dryer for the tech gear!

I will sometimes wear some tech gear (including bike shorts) more than once.  Typically no more than twice for bottoms...if all I did was wear the shorts for a one hour easy bike ride...seriously...they are NOT that dirty yet.

My swim suits never get washed.  After I get out of the pool I wear the suit into the shower and keep it on through shampooing of my hair.  After the hair is shampooed the suit comes off and hangs to dry (before being tossed into the trunk with the rest of my swim gear) and I finish my shower.

I never have a problem with stuff wearing out prematurely...so, lazy apparently works just fine. :D

I'm hesitant to post this but I wear my gear many times between washes....For the jersey's and tri shirts smell is usually what gets them in the washer.... We have a small load "quick wash" setting on our washer that works well and is efficient for small loads...

Everything gets line dried, never in the dryer...

Edited by TriMike 2013-06-06 6:23 AM
2013-06-06 9:42 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Everything is worn once, only once and then washed. Exception is swim suits which I rinse in the shower and then air-dry.

I was told not to use liquid detergent (penguin and the like being the exceptions) on workout clothes. I use Gain and it leaves everything smelling nice and feeling clean.

I do wash everything, even things that say hand wash, on delicate/with cold water.

Anything with lycra/spandex is air dried. Everything else is dried on delicate.

I hang all my used clothes up all over the laundry room so they can dry and don't get mildewy. When every hanging spot is used or when I walk in to the laundry room and think, "man it stinks in here" I do a load of workout clothes. Usually about twice/week.

Workout clothes are always a separate load. No mixing of regular clothes and training clothes.
2013-06-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: spearit

User image

Originally posted by spearit

No way would I leave soaking wet/ sweaty / stinky gear laying around to ferment here in Miami.

Good point. I've got a stick dryer in the laundry room. When I'm done with a ride/run, I put the top(s) and bottom up on the stick dryer. By the time my next workout is done, those are dry so they go in the appropriate pile and the new, wet, clothing goes onto the stick dryer.

2013-06-06 10:15 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Everything gets washed every time I wear it (with a swimsuit exception).
I make my own detergent and hang dry anything with technical fabric.
I also use white vinegar in place of liquid fabric softner in the washer. Works well.

Edited by lisac957 2013-06-06 10:16 AM
2013-06-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
SOme of you have not done RAGBRAI yet. I brought 4 pairs of cycling shorts for 7 days of at least 60 (sometimes 100) miles per day in over 90 degree heat.

Starts on a Sunday. When I pulled out the shorts that I wore on Sunday to wear again on Thursday.... Yikes. The best thing is everyone does it on RAGBRAI.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Washing tri clothing Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How OFTEN do you wash your workout clothes? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 6306 Posts: 64

2011-08-26 11:13 AM mmrocker13

How do you wash your workout clothes? Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 2672 Posts: 39

2011-08-26 2:18 PM djastroman

How often do you wash workout clothes? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 11272 Posts: 74

2009-05-25 7:27 PM aarondavidson

Washing Clothes after a run Pages: 1 2

Started by ewricha
Views: 1988 Posts: 29

2009-02-01 9:53 AM Hazelmn

What to wash tri clothes with?

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1821 Posts: 15

2007-08-21 12:51 AM mm5093
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.