World Triathlon Corporation
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 10s
Overall Rank = 963/1653
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 44/
Pre-race routine:

Checked in the bike and picked up the race packet on Saturday afternoon. Went w/ Steve, kids and parents. It was really hot so parents looked to be wilting. Met up w/ KenJ - which was awesome - so nice to put a face w/ all the correspondence. Burnt the back of my neck pretty bad during the short time I was there. My parents took the kids with them so Steve and I had the evening to ourselves. We had reservations at Arabellas Italian Restaraunt - which I was a little worried about as I ate an enormous meal! The staff said Lance Armstrong ate there last year. Back to hotel and bed - of course got very little sleep as I was nervous.

Woke around 4:30 am - ate some cereal and downed some coffee. Got to race start around 6:15 after parking a million miles away. As I was getting transition set up I realized there was no where to get bottles - I figured that since they would be handing out bottles during the bike aid stations that they would have some to start out. My bad - I made Steve run back to the van and grab my bottles - he made it back with less than 5 minutes to spare! Thanks Steve - It was worth your nausea to have liquids for the first 20 miles! Headed to the potties then watched the pros start.
Event warmup:

Walked to the race start.
Swim
  • 36m 13s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up on the front row on the far outside. The wave was a 30-39 women combination and not too large of a group. Only minor contact during the swim and that was usually when I reached a wave that started before me. For some reason I kept veering to the left, so my sighting wasn't spot on. The water was opaque so couldn't take advantage of drafting. Kept my stroke smooth and HR on the lower end. Tried to stay calm and focused.

Lost my Road ID during the first few minutes of the swim - just came right off - sucks.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting! Not my fastest swim, but I knew it was going to be a long day and didn't want to push it.
Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

The run into transition was long.

Not much - I haven't practiced transitions this year, but I wasn't worried about fast transitions for this race.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I was ok with my bike performance. It took about 1/2 hour to get my HR down after transition and find a comfortable pace. I tried hard to remember to hydrate and eat often as I knew it was going to be hot. My legs felt like they were going to cramp at any moment for the last half of the bike, fortunately they never did. Stopped at the second aid station to pee and stretch. I was actually surprised that I passed a few people on the bike, though the majority of the time I was being passed.

While I was ok with my performance, I knew I could of gone harder. My HR often was in the 130's and even 120's at times. Now would that have negatively affected my run, I donn't know.

Need to train harder on the bike - I spend way too much time in my "comfort zone"
Transition 2
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

Again, wasn't too worried about my transition times. I did try to put my bike shoes back on instead of my running shoes - duh.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 33m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot, hot hot!!!!!

My HR spiked up into the 170's for the first 1/2 of the first loop. Took a long time to find a comfortable pace and was feeling fairly sick by the time I did. The 2 hills at the begiining of the loops were tough and ended up walking them for the last 2 loops to keep HR down. Thank God for the homeowners who had the sprinklers on and for the wonderful cups of ice that I threw down my top at each aid station! I felt like I was making a martini in my tri top, but I think it helped keep my core temperature down. I really slowed down the last 2 laps and hit a dark place the second 1/2 of the second lap. I think I drank too much on the first lap and really felt queezy for awhile. The last lap felt better and ended the run strong. Except for one short section during the second loop and the aid stations I ran the entire way.

My run was fairly slow for me - the heat really affected my HR and had to slow down to keep a somewhat comfortable pace. By the 3rd loop most of the people around me were doing a walk/run and didn't look like they were having a very good time!

One major complaint I had during this run was I felt like I was burning my back/shoulders really bad. I spent the last loop freaking out about it and asking all the aid stations if they had sunscreen. Even asked the paramadics if they had some - no one did. I guess it kept my mind busy and luckily I only had minor burning in a few areas that rubbed against my top.

Not much you can do about the heat. I felt good about my run training with lots of 2 hr plus runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes trying to cool down and then sitting with family for quite awhile. Starting feeling pretty sick and just worked on getting pretzles down. Made the mistake of trying to eat an ice cream cone - tasted wonderful but didn't sit well. Didn't really feel good for a good 2 hous post race. Said goodbye to my parents and headed w/ Steve and kids to Orlando for some fun resort time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat was a huge factor for me - most of it was mental as I was afraid to exert too much energy.

Event comments:

Overall a good venue. My only complaints were the parking situation was bad, no sunscreen at aid stations and no bottles available at start. Seems pretty minor considering the enormity of the event.

Last updated: 2012-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:13 | 2310 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/
Overall: 330/1653
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: m shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:19 | 56 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/
Overall: 1026/1653
38 mi 38 mi 2:15:07 16.87 mi/h 56 mi 18 mi 1:08:12 15.84 mi/h
Wind: Some
Course: Moatly flat with some rolling hills during the last 1/3 of the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:33:29 | 13.1 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/
Overall: 966/1653
4.3 mi 4.3 mi 47:15 4:57:56 10:59/mi 8.6 mi 4.3 mi 51:54 5:49:50 12:04/mi 12.9 mi 4.3 mi 52:42 6:42:32 12:15/mi 13.1 mi 0.2 mi 1:38 6:44:10 8:10/mi
Course: 3 laps around the lake and surrounding neighborhoods. 2 large short hills at beginning of the loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-05 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2013-06-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4767946

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Robin, it was great to meet you and Steve! You did a wonderful job with the race, especially considering the climate you had to train in! I only wish I was close to your swim time!!Sorry about the sunburn!
2013-06-05 5:25 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I almost forgot! Congratulations on your first HIM!!!You will figure the pacing out for your next one!
2013-06-06 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Great race report and race Robin! it sounds like you were totally trained for the event (unlike my first HIM)... No need to second guess putting out extra effort on the bike. there's no way to tell how it would have affected your run on a hot Florida day. Plus, think of how many folks you must have passed in the 2nd half of that run. Great Job!
2013-06-06 11:59 AM

User image

Great job on your first 70.3! enjoyed the race report. I always seem to second guess pacing myself.
-Todd
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by golfraboni
Views: 2462 Posts: 4

2013-05-21 9:04 AM miamiamy

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by jenny1
Views: 2494 Posts: 7

2007-05-24 7:03 PM Tri3

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by The Mac
Views: 3307 Posts: 22

2007-05-24 4:59 PM panout

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by Tri3
Views: 2742 Posts: 6

2007-05-30 8:38 PM Mimir98

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by mrlow954
Views: 2641 Posts: 6

2007-05-29 8:19 AM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.