World Endurance Canada
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 40m 14s
Overall Rank = 34/430
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/48
Pre-race routine:

With the race site only being 5km from my house I debated riding the bike down to the course, but with all the rain we had, and the expectation we’d have more I decided to drive. Got to the race in plenty of time, and since I picked up the race kit the day before I just needed to get body marked and collect my chip.

Got a good spot on the rack, got my stuff together, left my wetsuit on my bike spot and went out for about 20min to warm up the legs. If I don’t warm-up then I find I’m really flat for the start of the bike. Came back to transition to find that someone else had racked their bike on my spot, even though my wetsuit was on the rack with all my stuff on the ground. When I politely pointed out their mistake I got a curt reply of “what do you want me to do about it”. I’ve got to admit I was surprised with the response, and just let him know he needed to move. This somehow led to an argument and him eventually moving, but the whole thing was very odd.

I had plenty of time to be OCD about making sure everything was setup in transition the way I wanted then I got in a 5min swim before we got called back to shore. Saw the family for a few minutes and then my wave went off.

Event warmup:

Bike and swim.
Swim
  • 14m 38s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was not the swim I wanted. It was pretty windy and I could tell that the final part of the swim was going to be the toughest as we’d be swimming back to shore into the chop. But I hadn’t expected to get thrown about as much as I was for the first couple of hundred meters. I think I lined myself up a little too much inside, and there was more congestion that I anticipated. Even still, the swim wasn’t going badly for the first half, and I was trying to draft with some success, but the second part of the swim things fell apart. My stroke got sloppy, my sighting disappeared, I swallowed part of the lake unexpectedly, etc. – I just knew it wasn’t going great, and was happy to get to shore.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Had a couple of open water swims before the race, including one with a decent sized group, so I felt confident going into the race, and I’ve spent enough time in the pool to expect to do well. I just continue to struggle on the swim come race day.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Happy with this transition. I’ve never been super quick in transition, but last season was a disaster. I struggled in my practice swims to get the wetsuit off, so I used body glide on both me and the suit this time and that seemed to help. I chose to put my shoes on in transition because the surface in transition is unforgiving and I ran slower in bare feet previously. 5th fastest transition for my AG, but how the elites do it in less than 40sec is beyond me.

For a change – nothing.
Bike
  • 50m 50s
  • 30 kms
  • 35.41 km/hr
Comments:

This is a bit of a tough course, with the big 6th line hill being the memorable piece. I started the bike by passing a guy in my AG who crushed me by 5min during the bike section of an Olympic race last year where he finished second in the AG. He was trying to get into his shoes as I sped off down the road, only to have him pass me back within the first km. I figured if I could keep him in sight, then I had a chance of doing well on the day. I tried to keep aero as much as possible, and with the wind, this was extra important. I got passed by one duathlete going up the 6th line hill, but other than that no-one passed me, although I kept waiting for the stronger bikers in my AG to come by at any point – I didn’t realize many were already up the road. I spent almost the entire first half of the ride trying to close the gap on a rider in the 35-39 group, but we were too evenly paced and he stayed a couple of hundred meters ahead of me. Motivating and frustrating at the same time.

I could see the sky getting darker and darker as we got close to the half way point, and when we made the turn we were hit with a wall of rain, but luckily we were far enough ahead of it that we rode back out quickly. Those behind us weren’t as lucky and got a little bit more wet. I wasn’t pushing the watts I wanted to on the bike, but settled for the fact that no-one was coming by me, and my speed looked decent. But this is something I need to work on – I need to push harder and be willing to suffer a bit more during shorter rides. And then I got passed – by a guy in my AG. So now I had to chase someone else, and this forced me to work a little harder and after a few km I managed to pass him and the guy I’d been chasing earlier. But it was short lived and they passed me back within the last 5km. I was getting really thirsty during the ride, and the Gatorade I had was making my mouth feel pasty – I’ll stick to water for Sprints in the future.

Coming into transition I saw my wife and kids on the side of the road as they were leaving the park to try and avoid the rain. This gave me a boost in the last few hundred meters as I struggled just a bit against the wind for that last km.

Got my feet out of my shoes and got ready to run.

Push more watts. I can do it, I just don’t dig deep enough sometimes, especially knowing a tough run is coming. I did find it interesting that I was only 10th on the bike in my AG, but 37th overall, which seems to show some strong cyclists in my AG this year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Another good transition, and was 4th in the AG for this one. The only issue, I was so quick I forgot my Garmin on the bike.

Don’t forget the Garmin!!
Run
  • 32m 53s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 04m 20s  min/km
Comments:

I live by my Garmin for pacing so realizing I’d left it in transition was a big letdown right at the start of the run. The run is mostly on trails and has a tough start with a hill immediately after transition, followed by another one a couple of hundred meters later. We then ran through muddy, puddle filled trails and I grabbed water at the first aid station – right when the skies opened up and dropped buckets of water on us. It rained off and on throughout the rest of the run.

My legs felt decent, and I was not suffering any back pain or stitches, I just didn’t seem to have another gear to move faster. There was a guy in my AG not too far ahead of me, and when we turned onto the road I could see the strong cyclist about 1/2km up the road. I passed the guy in front of me right before we hit the next section of trails, and then struggled up a steep, slippery rock section of trail. My left quad was on the verge of seizing at that point, and the legs suddenly felt like they had no more juice. I was waiting for the guy I passed to come around me, but it didn’t happen, and after a couple of minutes we hit a down slope and the legs started to feel better and pick up the pace. I also passed the strong cyclist. At this point we had about 3km left to go, and I just went for it. I pushed as hard as I could , with no idea how fast or slow I may be going. There were a few runners in front of me, and I caught some of them, but others were too far ahead – I had no idea if any were in my AG. When I got to the finish line I didn’t have anything left and had to lie in the grass for a few minutes to catch my breath.
What would you do differently?

The legs were pretty sore the next day, which doesn’t normally happen after a Sprint race, so I take this as a sign I was pushing as hard as I could.

Post race
Warm down:

I wanted a podium spot in this race. Last year I missed it my 14sec, and this time I was determined to go home with a medal. But as I lay on the grass, I saw the ages of some guys sitting next to me and counted at least three in my AG. Crap….When I got down to the results tent, I saw I’d missed the podium again – 24sec this year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim was a big disappointment. Lots of time in the pool (for a triathlete), and nothing to show for it speed/time wise. I also need to push the bike harder, and I’ll get a chance to do that in a couple of weeks at the next race.

Event comments:

The weather was miserable, and the run course is tough, but the event is well run, and I’ll be back again in search of that elusive podium spot.

Last updated: 2013-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:38 | 750 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/48
Overall: 119/430
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Odd shaped triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:50 | 30 kms | 35.41 km/hr
Age Group: 10/48
Overall: 37/430
Performance: Average
Forgot the HR strap
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back with one part of the "back" on a different road. one large hill, the rest is mostly rolling with a net uphill on the way out, and net downhill on the way back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:53 | 07.5 kms | 04m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 5/48
Overall: 42/430
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly a trail run, with the first 3km uphill, and then a much quicker run on the way back down. Tough run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-06 2:07 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Milton Triathlon

2013-06-07 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4768955

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Milton Triathlon
Good race, especially the run. It sounds like you really pushed through there.  Not a bad finish, keep pushing and that podium is yours.
2013-06-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Milton Triathlon
Nice effort Neil. Sounds like you had a good race even without the podium spot. Good start to the season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by Bopper
Views: 1843 Posts: 6

2007-06-04 6:51 PM herridge

Milton Triathlon

Started by neweyma
Views: 565 Posts: 1

2006-06-23 6:50 PM neweyma

Milton Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Distance

Started by jonow6
Views: 2089 Posts: 6

2006-06-08 6:01 AM jonow6

Milton Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Distance

Started by gasping
Views: 1622 Posts: 1

2006-06-05 11:13 PM gasping

Milton Triathlon

Started by taylors_dad
Views: 1190 Posts: 4

2005-06-05 5:51 PM lifeisgood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.