General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Borrowing better tires for a race, use one or both Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-07 9:56 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Borrowing better tires for a race, use one or both
My neighbor has a better set of racing tires than I have on my bike and he is letting me use them for the weekend. I am going to test them out tomorrow and if they are fine, use them on sunday for a duathlon I am doing. My question is should I use both? They are definitely a lot lighter than my tires and I don't doubt they will help me. But the tires are for a 9 speed and I have a 10 speed. Should I just use the front tire or is this a really really stupid question and I won't notice the difference and I should use both tires. Thanks in advance for the help.

2013-06-07 10:00 PM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Borrowing better tires for a race, use one or both
Are we talking tires or wheels?
2013-06-07 10:06 PM

User image

Pro

Tire: that rubber thing that you fill with air.  

Wheel:  has spokes and a rim.  The rear one includes the gears (we call it a cassette)

Sounds like you're talking about swapping wheels rather than tires.

If he's got a 9 speed and you've got a 10 speed- it's gonna shift like crap, and you one be able to shift into a couple of the gears.  I've done this... it kinda' almost works, but not very well.  Like- you can get away with it for a ride, but it will annoy you the whole time.

Unless you're vying for a podium spot by a few seconds, I'd just keep your wheels for the race.  Wheels (and tires) can make a bit of a difference- especially aero wheels, but this sounds kinda' unnecessary.  

2013-06-07 10:10 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Just make sure the arrows are pointed forward.
2013-06-07 10:41 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

New user
Originally posted by morey000

Tire: that rubber thing that you fill with air.  

Wheel:  has spokes and a rim.  The rear one includes the gears (we call it a cassette)

Sounds like you're talking about swapping wheels rather than tires.

If he's got a 9 speed and you've got a 10 speed- it's gonna shift like crap, and you one be able to shift into a couple of the gears.  I've done this... it kinda' almost works, but not very well.  Like- you can get away with it for a ride, but it will annoy you the whole time.

Unless you're vying for a podium spot by a few seconds, I'd just keep your wheels for the race.  Wheels (and tires) can make a bit of a difference- especially aero wheels, but this sounds kinda' unnecessary.  

I finished 7th last year and would like to finish higher. I have probably cut a good 1 1/2-2 1/2 minutes off my running times combined. Its the bike that usually kills me. And it is the wheels. I am going to take it on a test ride tomorrow and see how it works. So I am assuming that just swapping out the front wheel and not the back wheel with the cassette is not a good idea.
2013-06-07 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
will his hub fit a 10 speed cassette? If so swap out cassettes as well. I don't really see much point in using 1 special wheel and 1 non special wheel.

2013-06-07 11:16 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
additionally, what wheels are they? for instance i would NOT recommend putting a HED3 or a Zipp 808 front wheel and standard back wheel. That would make for a very twitchy and unstable setup.
2013-06-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

New user
They are on off brand set of wheels, I am not sure what they are. If you can tell, though a newbie, I have never been one that is really concerned about names of equipment. But the more I learn about biking, the more I understand that I can pedal as hard as I want on my bike in running shoes, but someone else who may not be faster and has better equipment and better shoes and better wheels is going to go flying by me because of it. Its frustrating because I was/am still able to get away with lesser equipment in other sports I play. I guess the best thing I can do is test out the bike today with the wheels and see how things go.

2013-06-08 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Many folks use different wheel in front and back especially those who have hub based power meters.

Test ride with your neighbors front wheel on your bike. I wouldn't switch rear wheel due to the 9 vs 10 sp difference.

2013-06-08 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by Jasonhomey

They are on off brand set of wheels, I am not sure what they are. If you can tell, though a newbie, I have never been one that is really concerned about names of equipment. But the more I learn about biking, the more I understand that I can pedal as hard as I want on my bike in running shoes, but someone else who may not be faster and has better equipment and better shoes and better wheels is going to go flying by me because of it. Its frustrating because I was/am still able to get away with lesser equipment in other sports I play. I guess the best thing I can do is test out the bike today with the wheels and see how things go.

so are you saying you don't have bike shoes and clipless pedals? Do the pedals at least have cages? Wheels/tires will save you a minute or 90 sec over a 20-30km bike course, but true bike shoes and pedals will save much more and make your pedal stroke more efficient such that the run will be easier.
2013-06-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

New user
Originally posted by rdailey1

so are you saying you don't have bike shoes and clipless pedals? Do the pedals at least have cages? Wheels/tires will save you a minute or 90 sec over a 20-30km bike course, but true bike shoes and pedals will save much more and make your pedal stroke more efficient such that the run will be easier.

I do at least have cages. The only thing I have going for me is that my transition in the duathlon tomorrow consists of me putting on my bike helmet and that's it. The clipless pedals and bike shoes are the next big purchase I think, but that another post for another day-lol.

2013-06-08 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Race tires? Tires? Made me do a double take.

If you don't have clipless pedals I'd work on fixing that first.

Borrowing someone else's wheels? Why risk damaging your friend's wheels or your bike? Any time savings you can gain by the wheels is already given up by not having the solid power transfer of bike shoes. Not to mention that different wheels are going to create a different ride.

Are you skilled in adjusting derailleurs? Changing the rear wheel to one with a different cassette can require adjustment. Even if the cassettes are the same, the wear between the cassettes and your chains may be off enough to cause issues.

K.I.S.S.

2013-06-10 11:28 AM

If you decide to use them, make sure you ride with them before the race and have no surprises.
2013-06-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: dbilek

User image

New user
I decided to just use my own tires in the end. I hadn't used the other ones enough and I went back to the don't try new things on race day advice that I have always used for running. Anyways, it worked out ok, I ended up getting fifth place and first in my age group so not a bad day. I won the first running stage and would have won the second running stage had it not been for a leg cramp that built up the last mile and a half. I definitely need to work on my bike portion as I was a good amount back from the winner (3 mph). I don't think clipless pedals will make up for that amount of time. A better bike and wheels and clipless and all that will help, but I am not spending THAT kind of money. I am sticking with my bike and wheels, but clipless is definitely the next purchase. Thanks for all the advice on here though.
2013-06-10 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

I decided to just use my own tires in the end. I hadn't used the other ones enough and I went back to the don't try new things on race day advice that I have always used for running. Anyways, it worked out ok, I ended up getting fifth place and first in my age group so not a bad day. I won the first running stage and would have won the second running stage had it not been for a leg cramp that built up the last mile and a half. I definitely need to work on my bike portion as I was a good amount back from the winner (3 mph). I don't think clipless pedals will make up for that amount of time. A better bike and wheels and clipless and all that will help, but I am not spending THAT kind of money. I am sticking with my bike and wheels, but clipless is definitely the next purchase. Thanks for all the advice on here though.

The clipless could get you half way there and maybe limit or prevent the cramp as well, because you become much more efficient with your pedal stroke. If i had to guess, I would put money on either a quad or calf cramp. Clipless pedals limit the overuse of one or two major leg muscle groups. You'll do a better job of activating hip flexors and hamstrings.

By the way, congrats!! AG win and 5th overall is a hell of a way to start your multisport career with the limits in gear.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Borrowing better tires for a race, use one or both Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good training/racing tires

Started by HUSKRFJ
Views: 1264 Posts: 14

2012-05-17 9:13 AM tuwood

Tire pressure pre-race check in one day before race

Started by bradaskins
Views: 1500 Posts: 8

2011-05-29 6:38 PM Meerkat Surprise

Tire Poll - Best alround race/train tire

Started by jspelay
Views: 2111 Posts: 22

2010-08-13 11:07 AM DanielG

Good fortune -- borrowing a better bike for first tri

Started by Bruenor
Views: 1875 Posts: 14

2010-08-08 5:06 PM Bruenor

Started by Biseman
Views: 1421 Posts: 17

2006-05-16 8:32 AM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : July 29, 2008
author : tonyladd
comments : 4
Addressing the notion of excelling or even getting a PR in all three events in one race.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.