Multisport Canada
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 16s
Overall Rank = 33/298
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 and took about 1/2 hour to get organized and have breakfast - 2 maple brown sugar instant oatmeals. As I was putting my bike on the new car rack I realized that I couldn't strap the rear wheel down with the aerojacket on so I had to quickly swap out the training wheel.

Event warmup:

I found my racking area and set up. I went for a quick ride to make sure there were no issues with the bike and to try the aero helmet (for the first time). I brought my extra helmet just in case there were any issues. Racked the bike again and then headed down to the water for a warm-up swim. The water was 64 F but didn't feel too bad once you got into a rhythm. I was back on the beach with about 5 minutes before the 1st wave, so I had a Gu peanut butter gel and waited for the start.

Swim
  • 15m 6s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first Sprint distance race of the year and felt really good. I started at the far left of the crowd so I would avoid the congestion, which worked out great as I didn't run into anyone, but ended up well wide of the course. It was a counter-clockwise course and I tend to veer right anyway, so starting wide left didn't help my navigation. Probably swam an extra 50 metres because of this and my poor sighting.
What would you do differently?:

Sight and correct direction more often. I don't know if I'd start in the middle of the pack, because I hate the congestion, but I know I'm giving up time by starting so far wide.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I found my bike quickly but struggled a little bit to get the wet suit off my ankles. Once it was off, I put my helmet and sunglasses on fairly easily and was off.

Keep working on getting the wet suit off my ankles faster.
Bike
  • 49m 43s
  • 30 kms
  • 36.13 km/hr
Comments:

I had a great bike split. My average pace last year for Sprint distance races was 32.5 km/hr, so I was surprised to see on the Garmin that my average speed was over 36 km/hr. It was my first race with the FLO wheels, aerojacket cover and the aerohelmet. I'm not sure if the extra speed was due to the equipment or the hours on the trainer over the winter.

At one point I was caught in a small peloton group of about 5 riders that were all seriously drafting. I got stuck in the pack for about a minute as they boxed me in so I finally made a charge to get in front of them. About a minute later they caught up again and so I let them go ahead. Seriously annoying as they were clearly drafting and no one made an effort to give space. Unfortunately there were no OAT officials on the course to issue time penalties.

It was almost the perfect bike segment for me so I wouldn't change much. On the trainer, I can ride in aero position for well over an hour, but get shoulder and neck pain when I'm off the trainer. Need more time in the saddle outdoors.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I got out of the shoes as we turned into the conservation area, but started my dismount too early. Not a big deal, but I should have waited until I was closer to the dismount line.

Racked the bike quickly, put on my shoes, grabbed the Garmin wrist strap and water bottle and I was off.

Wait to start my dismount until I am closer to the dismount line.

Also, I need to find a way to put the Garmin quick strap on my wrist while I run. I ended up wrapping the strap around my fingers, which worked out alright as I could just look down into my hand to see my pace.
Run
  • 31m 32s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 04m 12s  min/km
Comments:

Although I had a great run time, I had to deal with two serious stitches in my side. For the first 2 kms or so it was on my right side but finally settled down. And then shortly after the turnaround at about the 4 km mark, my left side started to seriously hurt. I focussed my breathing so that I was inhaling and exhaling at the same time as my foot strike, and so maybe that helped, but they both finally settled down.

Otherwise it was a really good run and my Garmin showed an average pace of 4:00 per km. So either the course was a little longer than 750 meters or my Garmin is off.

Not much I can do about the side stitches other than try to increase my weekly mileage.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so exhausted for a last minute sprint at the finish line that I forgot to do a post race warm-down or stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall a great race for me - 2nd in my AG. I don't know where I could have picked up more time, maybe on the swim with more training and better sighting

Last updated: 2013-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:06 | 750 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 101/298
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:43 | 30 kms | 36.13 km/hr
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 48/298
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:32 | 07.5 kms | 04m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 1/22
Overall: 25/298
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-08 2:23 PM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Binbrook Triathlon

2013-06-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4770658

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Binbrook Triathlon
Nice race!  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Binbrook Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Binbrook Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri

Started by kausnfxx
Views: 1392 Posts: 1

2008-06-22 3:35 PM kausnfxx

Binbrook Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri

Started by doeriga
Views: 1283 Posts: 1

2008-06-17 8:00 AM doeriga

Binbrook Triathlon

Started by Nats
Views: 1594 Posts: 3

2008-06-16 12:38 PM tritwinmom

Binbrook Triathlon

Started by patricia7
Views: 1610 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 10:46 AM geoffs

Binbrook Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri

Started by caius
Views: 2814 Posts: 4

2006-06-21 8:36 PM newadventures
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon