Revolution 3
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m 14s
Overall Rank = 587/997
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 111/172
Pre-race routine:

After two races in two days, I went back to the hotel and tried to drink a bunch of juice and had Performance Energy blasts and powerbar protein bars to eat, but lounged and slept. Should have done some more Normatec and Compex but didn't. I did get a good shower, loaded up for day two, made my bottles and went to bed early.

Got up at 5:00am again and avoided all the extras from yesterday but the traffic coming into the park was terrible and we spent a good 35 min from the light to the park and had to park across the street in the baseball field. Once again very little time to set up. Forgot to apply sunscreen and there was a huge line for the porta potties. Fortunately had plenty of time. Ran into Susan as I put on my wetsuit and we talked a bit.
Event warmup:

Again got in a swam for 200 yards then sat/floated neck deep until my wave. A bit early than yesterday but still about 30 min after the first wave.
Swim
  • 36m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again started on the outside a few rows back and again took it easy at the start. Bigger wave so a bit more contact but did better at staying outside. The leg up was again very good had several folks going my speed so I latched onto them and sited off them. Got to the turn and into the sun and again couldn't see anything. Zig zagged my way across the lake getting saved by a kayak when I was way outside then herded back when I was way inside. Even going off other swimmers didn't help as our whole group went way inside. Despite the zig zag course I was feeling good on the swim. Once we hit the turn and I could see I worked hard coming back and went buoy to buoy in a straight line. Good swim all told.
What would you do differently?:

Work on navigation, get better tinted goggles.
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

Had some issues getting out of my wetsuit trislide my feet and sunscreened got my glasses and ring on and helmit and load my gels and off I went.

Wasn't in a hurry. Wasn't racing since I could still feel the after effects from yesterday. So this was a good swim then a catered workout. 63rd to 72nd AG and 379 to 414 OA.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was not feeling good coming off yesterday I just treated this as a training ride. This is one of my favorite ride period with over 3500 feet of climbing 6 cat 5 and 1 cat 3 climbs. I got going and took it easy following Heather Golnicks advice find a gear that feels one or two level too easy and stay there for at least 30 miles. I downshifted way early and got over the first two hills on the backside on the lake I always geared out on and had to grind. Cruised through the next few segments making some progress but not racing anyone. The big hill was rough and I had to pass people on the inside since there was nowhere to go but I actually stayed seated and granny geared it to the top and passed 5-6 people.

Then decent to BlackRock lake is my favorite and it didn't disappoint. The scenery is awesome and the speed it killer too. But way goes down must come up. Went a lot to the granny gears and stayed seated a lot more than last year as I was having man part pains when I sat. If I stayed seated it was ok but changing position was painful. Plus my back started acting up too. No fun. Did the hills well but got sitting up on the aerobars (hand on aeropads) to ease my back. Last 15 miles were not a lot of fun but I got through it.

Got to figure out the man pain issue prior to IMLP. Still felt the effect from yesterday with a cramp in my left hammy to go with the back and other pains. Still on 72nd to 81 AG and actually 415th to 384th OA so not bad.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Had issues racking and just felt rotten. Took it slow and steady dumped a hot bottle of water on my head, got my race belt this time and headed out.

Not much the die was already cast. 81st to 82nd AG and 384 to 386th OA
Run
  • 2h 36m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out shuffling along with a big cramp in my left hamstring and feeling like the tank was on empty. Ended up just shuffling until the hill on mile 2 and conceding I needed to walk the hills from here on out and then jog the rest. So that is what I did. The heat was tough the triple was tougher but all I was doing to today was moving forward and finding my way to the finish line. Saw a lot of folks really struggling in the heat. Was talking to one guy who actually ran a 1:38 for a PR last year but was walking today. I just stayed upbeat and positive and ran as much as I could. At the end I tried to run as much of the final hill as I could then actually got rolling over the end. Good Ironman damage control practice.

Knew coming in it was going to be rough. Should have eaten better between race and not gotten dehydrated Saturday. But such is life. Decided to treat this as a long training day and take whatever the run turned out to be. So it turned out ugly, no big deal.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my towel, medal, and shirt. Thought about doing the ice baths but opted against it. Got some food after crashing in the VIP tent. Felt more human and found my Revolution medal and got to cheer in some of my teammates like Kelly then went back and ate and drank. Met Heather Jackson which was really cool ( she finished 2nd) . Went to T2 and got my stuff packed up the went and watched the awards, then saw Susan and Steve, then packed up and rolled across the street and packed up the car. Got McDonalds including a chocolate shake and sat in my hotel room in my NormaTec boots for 1.5 hours before taking a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehyration Saturday still affected my day Sunday.

Event comments:

Another great job by Rev 3 !

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 63/172
Overall: 379/997
Performance: Good
Suit: Hurricane Cat 5 Full
Course: Same basic course as yesterday and inverted triangle but went one buoy further out and back and longer stretch across the lake into the sun.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:11:24 | 56 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 81/172
Overall: 384/997
Performance: Below average
Segment 1: 38.6 miles 2:07:31 18.16 mph Segment 2: 17.4 miles 1:03:53 16.34 mph
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, hills and more hills. Start the opposite direction from the Olympic and get 4 new hills going around the lake including 2 long ones with a steep section everyone overgears and as to grind up. Then back to the Olympic course, rolling hills to the big steep hill at mile 12 this time, then out to the Black rock Park decent to Thompson, through town and then start the Cat 3 climb from mile 22 to 27. FOur tiers and just constant climbing. Then weave through town and some tricky decents, to the out and back where you fly down then have to turn and climb back out. Then though another town and back to the Olympic course including the two big decents and the S curve, then back around the lake and two very tough short steep climb right after turns where you lost all your momentum. And then last 3 miles going opposite the run course with the last mile uphill. Awesome ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:36:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 111/172
Overall: 587/997
Performance: Bad
Course: Hills, hills, and more hills. First mile downhill the second uphill, then downhill to the gravel trail then the old KSwiss mile, a mile and a half uphill, to the out and back down then up. Then rollers to the final hill on the Olympic bike at mile 8, then down and around to the front of the park then away to basically do the 5 K glow run with the out and back to the Olympic turnaround spot to add the extra mile. Last hill up and under the road and around to the park and finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-08 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Aquabike

Started by astorm65
Views: 1190 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 9:12 PM astorm65

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by cialome
Views: 1220 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 11:24 AM cialome

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by DEFYINGRAVITY
Views: 1604 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:09 AM DEFYINGRAVITY

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1649 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2020 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.