US State Forums Illinois » First Triathlon done! Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
2013-06-09 3:35 PM

Illinois
Subject: First Triathlon done!
HEY BTers!!!

I just finished my first triathlon today! I competed in the Batavia Triathlon, a sprint in Batavia, IL. IT WAS AWESOME! I am seriously in love with this sport! It was so much fun. Great environment! I finished in 1:19:16. My preliminary stats on the print out I got before I left put me at 5th in my age group and 63rd overall. However, it was a time trial start so there were a couple hundred yet to finish. I am going to post a full race report when I get the official results. The only two things I would have done different are wear a wetsuit(the water was so cold -64 degrees-it literally took my breath away and I cramped up so I had to swim like Johnny Weissmuller, look him up he is the reason we have the Tarzan drill) and I would also use the restroom right before the start. I realized I had to while in line to start the swim. I ended up having to make a pit stop before the run which added approx 45 sec to my time. Great lessons learned, GREAT FUN, and I can't wait to get out there and rock it even better next time with my first hand knowledge.

It was fun competing with everyone out there, hope you all had a great race and I look forward to racing again soon!
My Race Log

2013-06-09 4:35 PM
in reply to: FastFish26

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: First Triathlon done!
Great post! Congratulations on a great first race :D
My Training LogMy Race Log
2013-06-09 4:41 PM

User image

Chicago
Congratulations - sounds like you're going to make a stellar triathlete!

Sorry to hear that water was so chilly - I was at the triathlon in Naperville - very similar water venue as Batavia - but the water was reported to be about 70 degrees, so pretty darn comfortable.

Glad to hear you are now hooked on the sport - looks like we got another one!

MJ
2013-06-09 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
You had a pretty solid time with a slow swim and a pit stop. Id say your off to a great start!
My Race Log
2013-06-09 7:27 PM
in reply to: MJSlikas

Illinois
Originally posted by MJSlikas

Congratulations - sounds like you're going to make a stellar triathlete!

Sorry to hear that water was so chilly - I was at the triathlon in Naperville - very similar water venue as Batavia - but the water was reported to be about 70 degrees, so pretty darn comfortable.

Glad to hear you are now hooked on the sport - looks like we got another one!

MJ

Thank you very much! I sure hope I can make a stellar triathlete! I am definitely hooked.

Glad to hear your water was fine! It is amazing how much difference 6 degrees can make!
My Race Log
2013-06-09 7:28 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

Illinois
Originally posted by mcgilmartin

Great post! Congratulations on a great first race :D

Thank you! I am looking forward to make more!
My Race Log

2013-06-09 7:32 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

Illinois
Originally posted by Paulford8

You had a pretty solid time with a slow swim and a pit stop. Id say your off to a great start!

Thank you! I feel really good about it. I was looking for under 1:15 as my stretch goal. Based on previous years times that would have gotten me around the top ten and a AG podium. I made my backup goal of under 1:20 though so I am definitely happy. Plus solid first hand experience with a few lessons learned. I can't wait for my next one!
My Race Log
2013-06-10 7:20 PM

Illinois
The results are up today for the Batavia Triathlon.

http://www.theracershub.com/results_view.php?id=2087&result_type=db

I filled out and posted a race report for my performance which can be found in the race reports section on the forums. Congrats to all the competitors!
My Race Log
New Thread
US State Forums Illinois » First Triathlon done! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Triathlon?

Started by bwilson1177
Views: 1061 Posts: 9

2010-07-05 10:00 AM bwilson1177

anyone doing the Spring Forward ride in Union, IL on 4/27

Started by pigfinn
Views: 692 Posts: 6

2008-04-26 4:58 PM pigfinn

NE 1 doing the Naperville Sprint

Started by Reff1198
Views: 616 Posts: 2

2007-07-18 6:25 PM jmcelroy

Who's doing what Tri's this year?

Started by hangloose
Views: 1577 Posts: 24

2006-03-08 5:13 PM McFuzz

Who's doing Galena Triathlon? (Illinois)

Started by Steve-
Views: 1157 Posts: 16

2005-05-24 6:42 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!