General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing first clipless pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-09 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: Choosing first clipless pedals

Help please!!! I have some bike shoes and would like to get some cleats and pedals to go with them and I am lost!!

THESE are the shoes I have, if you click on features, view sole. you can see the bottom.

The info says: they accept cleats with Look/SPD- SL pattern...

I have a friend that recommends speedplay- I really like the idea of a pedal that can be clipped from either side- are speedplay the only pedals to do this? Will they work with this shoe?

I am very new to cycling & triathlon. I love cycling but am still learning A LOT. If I continue to enjoy it I am sure I will upgrade my bike (a Giant Rapid 3) and accessories at some point.  Right now a tight budget is a consideration.

Any suggestions???

One more thing- I have NO IDEA how to pick out cleats either!!

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-09 8:30 PM

2013-06-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Choosing first clipless pedals
Those shoes are a great bargain as long as you feel comfortable in them. The soles are NOT drilled for Speedplay cleats; HOWEVER, speedplay has an adaptor to work with 3-bolt systems, such as on those shoes. The shoes are ready for Look and Shimano road cleat/pedal systems (3-bolt). There is a 2-hole drill pattern for SPD ( mountain bike and road Crank Brothers) When you buy the pedal, cleats comes with it (ask just to be sure). Since you are on a budget, I would recommend $35 Nashbar Stelvio Road Pedals. They are Look KEO compatable, and should last at least 3 seasons. Nashbaar has been offering Shimano 105 pedals for $55. This is a great price and better quality dollar for dollar. I have not used these but you should get at least 4 years of better quality. The difference in cost is a sandwich per year, That is not much. I'd get the Shimano 105's if $55 is within your budget.

Edited by Six000MileYear 2013-06-09 9:10 PM
2013-06-10 5:28 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I would definitely get Speedplay... The have a model that is design for beginners, the Speedplay Light Action (although you can definitely use these as an experienced rider as well...), with lower spring load, making it easier to get in and out. It's much easier to have a double sided pedal, so you never have to look which side it up.
2013-06-10 8:47 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Speedplay lightaction are the ones my friend recommended. Does THIS Speedplay lightaction pedal & cleat set have the adapter included?

I also checked out the Shimano 105 pedals and they are a great price, really more like what I would like to pay.

SO is an extra $60- $70 worth it?? Are the speedplay that much easier than the Shimano 105 to use? 

2013-06-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

The 105s are a bombproof, dependable pedal that will serve you well.  I have NO experience with Speedplays, but folks seem to like them alot.  $60-70.00 dollars price difference is HUGH to me, but only you can decide.

I've never had a bad race finish that I could blame on my pedals.

2013-06-10 11:31 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

Shimano 105 SPD-SL is the way to go.

Also, you must have teeny feet.

2013-06-10 11:40 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

OK, I am reading a lot of great reviews of the 105's- which ARE what I need to spend budget wise.

The only con I keep reading is that they are heavy.... How heavy? Just heavier than $300 pedals I can't get right now anyway? Heavier than my flats with cages I ride with now? Will this 'heaviness' make a lot of difference for me with the bike I have now?

2013-06-11 5:51 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Meljoypip

Speedplay lightaction are the ones my friend recommended. Does THIS Speedplay lightaction pedal & cleat set have the adapter included?

I also checked out the Shimano 105 pedals and they are a great price, really more like what I would like to pay.

SO is an extra $60- $70 worth it?? Are the speedplay that much easier than the Shimano 105 to use? 

Speedplay comes with the adaptors; there's two different wedges for each adaptor so you will have one that fits the curvature of your shoe sole.

Personally, I think Speedplays are that much better than Shimano 105... They're double sided which makes it much easier to get in (you don't have to try to flip the pedal over so it's right side up)
2013-06-11 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Well, I run spd/spd compatible on all my bikes (aka two-bolt hole cleats), so I can't talk about speedplays or the others, BUT I will say 345 grams is not gong to kill you (half of my pedals weigh probably 340, and I can't tell the different between those, the heavier ones, and the lighter ones). Seriously, a gram or two is not going to kill you. Take a big poop before you ride, and you'll have excreted the pedal sets more than once over.

As for the cost, I tend to be a tightwad on stuff...my "nice" pedals right now are spd540s, so at MOST $50. I realy cannot complain about them at all and have had zero issues. So for ME, paying an extra $70 on pedals woyldn't be worth it...but that's me. :-)
2013-06-11 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I ordered the 105's.

I was very interested in the speedplays- especially because they would clip either side- BUT I have a 15 year old son who is heavy into high school sports ($$$) and he's turning 16 in Sept and eyeing a Jeep, (I dont even want ot talk about the fact he wants to try tri and wants a bike) and my bike needs a tune up this week and if I am going to race anymore this season I need to save some for registration(s).... So- $54 105's and I will just learn to flip them to the correct side. Smile

and- if they do not workout I can ask for the Speedplays for Christmas!!

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-11 9:56 AM
2013-06-14 11:57 AM

Just an FYI for anyone looking for pedals. Planet Cyclery has Shimano Ultegra 6700 carbon pedals for $149 shipped. I bought a set, and have received them. They were brand new in the original packaging, no gimmicks. I have no affiliation with them, but thought I'd pass this one along.

http://www.planetcyclery.com/pedals/shimano-ultegra-pd-6700-c-carbo...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing first clipless pedals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clipless Pedals or NORMAL pedals for SUPERSPRINT Thriatlon

Started by bernardocom
Views: 3799 Posts: 17

2012-11-26 9:13 PM 5stones

shopping for a first pair of clipless pedals...need advice

Started by squan114
Views: 1073 Posts: 6

2010-08-22 4:44 PM morey000

Choosing pedals and shoes?

Started by KRCSWO
Views: 899 Posts: 8

2006-05-03 9:56 AM hangloose

clipless pedals

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1058 Posts: 9

2004-10-06 12:23 PM ginger ninja

Clipless Pedals

Started by suz615
Views: 1334 Posts: 5

2004-06-11 9:50 AM bunnislippers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : September 9, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency