General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any open water swimming areas around Grand Rapids Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-10 2:58 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: Any open water swimming areas around Grand Rapids
Just moved from Chicago to Grand Rapids and I'm looking for a good spot for some long open water swims. I've been looking at park webpages, like Millennium Park, but they all have roped off swimming areas. Does anybody know if they are strict about that? If I wear a bright cap and ask the lifeguard real nicely, do you think they'll let me criss cross the lake? If anybody has any experience there or if you have another spot to swim, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks!!!

2013-06-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: jjzeilstra

Regular
Subject: RE: Any open water swimming areas around Grand Rapids
Millennium Park is a no go. They are way too strict there. You could try and swim at the buoy line but it tends to be pretty shallow and busy.

Couple good options for you depending on where you are.

8th Avenue Park. Off of Chicago Dr in Jenison (http://www.georgetown-mi.gov/parks/8th.html). Technically it is a couple bucks to get in for non-residents but if you get there early enough the guard shack is unmanned and the gate is opened. Or you could walk/bike in for free. One loop of the perimeter is just under a mile. Or you can swim a diagonal and back for about 2/3 mile. No motorized boats. Kayaks and canoes allowed.

Campbell Lake (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=campbell+lake,+caledonia,+mi&hl=en&sll=44.230933,-85.300598&sspn=0.39754,0.866547&hnear=Campbell+Lake&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A)
Totally free. Almost exactly 400yards if you swim straight across from the boat launch to the floating dock w/ a slide. A little seaweedy right at the boat launch, but nice and clear once you get past that. Great place to do interval/race pace work. Very few boats because it is a small lake. Usually only a fishing boat or two out there.

Bostwick Lake (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bostwick+lake+inn&ll=43.084499,-85.457475&spn=0.012663,0.02708&hq=bostwick+lake+inn&hnear=Grand+Rapids,+Michigan&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A)
There is public access just down the road from the Bostwick Lake Inn. Park along the road and down the stairs to the lake. If you do the entire perimeter of the lake it is almost exactly 2.4mi. Otherwise just stick to the perimeter and turn around at some point. The middle of the lake can be a bit busier but the perimeter is shallow enough that the boats stay away. Bring a change of clothes and have some dinner or drinks at the Inn afterwards. Or, do a swim/bike brick workout and tackle the hills on Egypt Valley road before or after your swim.

2013-06-11 4:14 PM
in reply to: kevinneumann

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by kevinneumann

Millennium Park is a no go. They are way too strict there. You could try and swim at the buoy line but it tends to be pretty shallow and busy.

Couple good options for you depending on where you are.

8th Avenue Park. Off of Chicago Dr in Jenison (http://www.georgetown-mi.gov/parks/8th.html). Technically it is a couple bucks to get in for non-residents but if you get there early enough the guard shack is unmanned and the gate is opened. Or you could walk/bike in for free. One loop of the perimeter is just under a mile. Or you can swim a diagonal and back for about 2/3 mile. No motorized boats. Kayaks and canoes allowed.

Campbell Lake (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=campbell+lake,+caledonia,+mi&hl=en&sll=44.230933,-85.300598&sspn=0.39754,0.866547&hnear=Campbell+Lake&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A)
Totally free. Almost exactly 400yards if you swim straight across from the boat launch to the floating dock w/ a slide. A little seaweedy right at the boat launch, but nice and clear once you get past that. Great place to do interval/race pace work. Very few boats because it is a small lake. Usually only a fishing boat or two out there.

Bostwick Lake (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bostwick+lake+inn&ll=43.084499,-85.457475&spn=0.012663,0.02708&hq=bostwick+lake+inn&hnear=Grand+Rapids,+Michigan&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A)
There is public access just down the road from the Bostwick Lake Inn. Park along the road and down the stairs to the lake. If you do the entire perimeter of the lake it is almost exactly 2.4mi. Otherwise just stick to the perimeter and turn around at some point. The middle of the lake can be a bit busier but the perimeter is shallow enough that the boats stay away. Bring a change of clothes and have some dinner or drinks at the Inn afterwards. Or, do a swim/bike brick workout and tackle the hills on Egypt Valley road before or after your swim.

Kevin hit all of the good ones that I know of, honestly. The other option is to head out to Holland or Grand Haven to Lake Michigan, but the water tends to be fairly cold at this point. Should be warming up quickly, and then generally turns over in mid July and goes cold again. 2 days before the Grand Haven triathlon last year it was close to being a non-wetsuit legal race, and by race morning, it was low-mid 60s.
2013-06-12 8:26 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

New user

Chicago
Thanks guys! Now I just have to get out there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any open water swimming areas around Grand Rapids Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To those of you in the Grand Rapids area:

Started by iLOVEwaffles
Views: 669 Posts: 1

2013-03-03 4:56 PM iLOVEwaffles

Swim Coach In Grand Rapids Area

Started by birdog41
Views: 2160 Posts: 2

2010-09-29 7:35 AM WOT

Cycling In Grand Rapids Area

Started by hummer
Views: 806 Posts: 3

2009-05-27 3:05 PM CraigT

Anyone in the Grand Rapids area have access or

Started by westmichtri
Views: 1601 Posts: 17

2008-06-30 2:34 PM fsr402

OWS options in Grand Rapids area

Started by TriMike
Views: 1120 Posts: 8

2007-07-25 8:36 AM TriMike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.