General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toughman or Montauk for first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-10 5:06 PM

User image

Subject: Toughman or Montauk for first HIM
I am planning on doing a HIM next year and was wondering which race others have preferred. Montauk is probably flatter, right? They are at the same time of year so water temp shouldn't be too different, right? I saw that they changed the bike on Toughman to an out and back, the previous course of doing the same 5 mile loop for 56 miles would have made the decision easy for me. Thanks for any help in advance.

2013-06-11 5:23 AM
in reply to: djmtrier

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Toughman or Montauk for first HIM
I have done the mightyman him but not toughman........ I see you are doing the oly mightyman this year. At that time you will get an idea of the bike course for.the HIM because it is nearly the same.but 2 loops...........though possibly the toughman has more elevation gain Montauk is definitely not.flat and is surprisingly hilly on the bike with some rollers in the beginning of the leg and especially the out and back to the lighthouse........the run has multiple down and backs that go down a hill then.up a hill which is even worse than murder hill which is the name of a hill on the course.....so I do not want to make MM to sound.like its the alps but based on your comment I want you ti be prepared for some.hills out there.

Is it your first HIM? If so, I would recommend the Bassman HIM in NJ bass river state park , they have a spring and fall version calm and surprisingly warm.lake, flat bike and flat run with trails......I believe I should have done this one first instead of visa versa.......Montauk is pretty bit when you are suffering its tough to.enjoy it....good luck

2013-06-11 8:27 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Thanks - I took a look at Bassman and it looks like there were only 100 competitors in the whole race and 6 in my age group. I feel like for my first HIM I may want a "bigger production" at the finish line. Might even go down to Maryland for the Eagleman.
Also - thanks for the heads-up about MightyMontauk.
2013-06-11 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Yes the Bassman has typically 150 total but they usually have a few races going on at the same time.....mightyman has about 300....if you want the big production dont do bassman, but still a fun race......look at the HITS series or Rev 3 races al.so quassy is tough but fun from what I hear
2013-07-16 5:12 PM

I did Toughman as my first half last year and thought it was a great race. Very well organized, a good, but hard course and just a great experience. I will be doing it again this year as well
2013-07-28 4:42 PM
in reply to: tonygale

User image

FYI,

Unitl the end of July the code "JULYFUN" at registration will save you $25 off of the fee for Westchester Toughman

2013-08-05 4:18 PM

i done both. MM was my first and i enjoyed it. the run is mostly flat, but there's that one area where the hills are just crazy steep. the bay or lake swim is very nice compare to the hudson for toughman. i was one of the last athletes to finish so there wasnt that big finish area celebration that you are looking for. also, since i signed up on race day (was suppose to do poconos 70.3 but swim was cancelled) i got stuck on a rack that was totally packed. the transition is a little tight in my opinion.

TM - great event, lots of people. great challenging bike course on route 9 or 9A or 9N. swim in the hudson and the run was hilly except for the first/last mile and when you cross the croton dam. so except for those three areas, expect to climb and then climb again before you get to run downhill and then repeat. that's how it felt to me. oh, i would to add that some of the run takes place on trail/forest area so that was pretty cool.
okay, so here's the big real bad thing about TM and the reason why i will never do the race again. i want to say this about the race. it is 99% great and the 1% that makes this race suck big time is because there's a huge amount of bees in the transition and food area. it may not bother you, but it does bother me so im one and done for this race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toughman or Montauk for first HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Toughman Half Iron Relay

Started by 3leftys
Views: 1500 Posts: 5

2010-09-13 11:20 AM 3leftys

Westchester Toughman Bike Course Ride

Started by beyourself
Views: 976 Posts: 2

2009-08-25 9:00 AM louamerica

Westchester Toughman '09

Started by condorman
Views: 1167 Posts: 3

2009-01-24 1:08 PM fred526

Toughman triathlon

Started by javierg
Views: 3801 Posts: 4

2010-06-23 11:16 AM trunner400

Whens reg for Westchester Toughman start? Pages: 1 2

Started by louamerica
Views: 3208 Posts: 34

2008-08-12 11:52 AM Dream Chaser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
comments : 0
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I too was a beginner triathlete...and in many ways, I still am! 6 years ago, I was an overweight woman who considered herself relatively fit until I was told I should start running.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.