Set Up Events
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 47s
Overall Rank = 170/347
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/40
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and got the truck loaded up with all my stuff. Grabbed my applesauce, banana, and sport drink and had it around 5am. Arrived at the site and everything was going smoothly. Water temp was announced at 72 degrees so I would get to use the wetsuit after all(this may of been my downfall on the swim, more to follow on that)
Event warmup:

So I put my wetsuit on and went down and got in and swam for about 3-5 minutes. Only other swim in this thing was in the pool. I felt good at this point and was ready.
Swim
  • 35m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Fail! I am so much more capable than this. I felt pretty good for the first 200m or so. Then I got splashed and bumped and swallowed some water and had to come up right and almost stop. When I did this it felt as though the wetsuit pulled down on me is the best I can describe. I was a little flustered but kept on going. However, this is when it went downhill. I started to feel like i couldn't breath. I actually panicked a little and then had to pull myself together. I did side stroke for a bit trying to catch my breath and would switch back to freestyle. I was passing folks when I did this but then still couldn't breath very well. I rounded the turn bouy and caught the current and had a chance to "float down river" and yanked up on my wetsuit the best I could. I then freestyled it around the next bouy and was finally moving and breathing a little better. Oh and btw this is the best sighting I have done! Then I was able to swim the last half or so freestyle and felt better but not great. I was frustrated coming out of the water. It gets to shallow near the end coming out and I stood up and ran in the rest of the way. Up the beach then into transition area.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know at this point. I want to blame it on the wetsuit. I also want to say it was the frustration of the breathing and getting in my head to much. I also want to just say it was a tough swim against current which I have never done before. I am glad I did this because it was a great prep for REV3 in two weeks.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Decent run up from the beach. Allowed me to gather myself after the terrible swim and focus on kicking some butt on the bike and run. The suit did get stuck on my left heel. Don't know if it was because the extra there with the timing chip or what.

So I had the same issue as the last race with my straps coming out of the loops. This time however I couldn't seem to get them in while moving. I had to stop and get it looped in. I lost a couple of minutes having to handle this. I am going to have to look at something that will prevent this from happening the next time.

Not much. Just work on getting out of wetsuit and get this strap issue take care of.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike! I could have kept going. Only issue was the stupid profile design bottle bracket velcro slipped off, I assume because it was wet, this caused it to slip down and not be reachable. I had to get my hands up under it to push up and take a drink. I now maybe looking at a new front hydration system. Any other than that it was a great ride. It was really flat with a couple of rollers and a bridge we had to go up over. I had great gear changes and was happy I switch to the 11-23 cassette. I played cat and mouse with a couple of folks and then finally the last 4 miles just left them behind. I was able to catch a couple of guys in my AG which gave me some confidence and a boost of energy. It was wet so I took it carefully into the turns. I slipped and almost lost it on the turnaround. I took it a little too sharp and luckily my left foot came out and I caught myself. Just glad I didn't cause and accident behind me.

I felt really good on the bike. All the extra work on the bike has really paid off. I am looking forward to REV3.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

This was really good with a great flying dismount. Shoes went on great this time after messing with the laces from the last race. I forgot my visor and ran back for it otherwise it would have been a bit faster.

Remember my visor!
Run
  • 49m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good on the run and was able to keep really cool. The conditions were perfect. I hate HEED though! I had to burp really bad after drinking it every time. I dumped water over my head a couple of times to cool off. Mile 4 seem to take the longest to get to but after that I felt good and strong. I tried to find another gear to push the last couple of miles but just couldn't find it. It was my fastest 10k ever so I am really happy with it.

Not much I left it all out there on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just got some fluids back in me and some food. Walked around and caught up with all my family there that was supporting me. Did some light stretching then went and enjoyed the day with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming in OWS. I have got to figure a way to get more of this done. I am still better than that and hope to show it at REV3.

Event comments:

Great race and venue. I PR'd this distance and it was great prep for REV3 in a couple of weeks.

Last updated: 2013-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:03 | 1500 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/40
Overall: 258/347
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot(rental)
Course: Rectangle in James river.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:10:40 | 24.85 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/40
Overall: 127/347
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:39 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/40
Overall: 134/347
Performance: Good
Course: Lollipop with a short extension that was out and back. Paved or hard packed trail which was covered for most of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-11 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: Jamestown International Triathlon

2013-06-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4772995

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jamestown International Triathlon
Great job and sweet run and bike.
2013-06-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4772995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Jamestown International Triathlon
Congratulations Larkin!! Great race report and it sounds like it was a great warm up for your first HIM. You did very well despite your swimming issues. I don't have any advice for your though!LOL!! Congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jamestown International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jamestown International Triathlon

Started by burkesj
Views: 1109 Posts: 1

2012-07-04 7:02 PM burkesj

Started by Dixbry
Views: 1334 Posts: 4

2012-07-04 9:05 PM Dixbry

Started by ajfrager
Views: 1308 Posts: 3

2012-07-04 7:05 PM burkesj

Started by BigGuyTRI_NC
Views: 1189 Posts: 2

2012-07-02 5:42 AM QueenZipp

Jamestown Sprint Triathlon

Started by QueenZipp
Views: 1601 Posts: 8

2012-07-03 8:29 PM disturbed275
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.