General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had some jimmy john's day old bread and slammed two cups of coffee.
Event warmup:

Warmup? I was sweating taking my bike off the car rake. I already needed a cool down. I got to see Sara McClauraty (sp?) come out of the water as the first pro...that was cool.
Swim
  • 28m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was hot as hell waiting on the beach baking in my cap. The Ath/Cly were the two groups ahead of me, and then we took off. I passed the majority of both waves I think cause I keep running up on them. I had a bad swim and I need to break some very bad habits.
What would you do differently?:

I've developed some bad habits swimming in Lake Mich, I tend to only breastroke for sighting and stop to check out where people are located. I understand the breastroking cause swells can get pretty big in LM, but this was a small lake. Next Saturday, no Breast stroking at the charity event.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

T1 was okay. All the bikes were still at the rack so it was a little tight geting my bike gear on. I had a long run to Bike Exit since I was racked next to the pros (Saw Hunter setting up - cool ride)
Bike
  • 1h 12m
  • 21.7 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Lots of turns but pretty fast in the first half. Some head wind and hills on the second half, had to leave the saddle to climb. The heat really took its toll on me in the second half.

More Aero
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Again most of the bikes were at the rack, that's a good thing leaving the water but a bad thing getting back from the bike.

This is weird to say, but take my time.
Run
  • 30m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst run of my life. The heat was unreal at this point. I had ice in my cap and I was grabbing every oz. of water I could find. I was popping salt tabs like they were candy. I didn't get my legs back until about the 1.25 mile area and my heart rate just wouldn't come down enough to find my rhythm. At the 2.5 miles I FINALLY felt like I was ready to run, just in time to finsh.
Post race
Warm down:

Snuck into Transition area way early and packed up my stuff, I wasn't really looking forward to driving 7 hrs home. The one highlight from the weekend was as I was leaving some of the Pro's left their stuff behind, anyway Zeiger left her cap, so I snagged it!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Event comments:

Not sure I'd go this again because of the drive. If it was closer for sure but driving home on Saturday afternoon wasn't fun at all. I was on the road by 12:30 and at my parents house by 7pm to drop off dads truck. I stayed the night cause they just got a puppy and I didn't want to sit in a car any longer.

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:17 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: A triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:00 | 21.7 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:41 | 03.1 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 8:59 AM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-07-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #484460

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Great race, Hayes!  I think you're right about the swim.  Even at my glacial pace, I was passing Clydes and Athenas.  There were some whack a$$ swimmers in our group, too.  One dude was weaving like mad and I t-boned him about 300 yards in.  Like you, I also had the absolute worst run of my life.  I just didn't have the will to run until the very end. 

Sorry you had to drive back to Chicago after the race.  Had I known that, I'd have offered up my guest bed!  Recover well and good luck on your swim next weekend.  

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-07-17 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

While you were racing, I was sitting watching a baseball game in St. Louis, drinking beer.  Who's the smart one??   

Looks like you did pretty well considering the conditions!  Running in that kind of heat is just not fun at all.  And that drive home right after racing really had to suck.

2006-07-17 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Good race. Am I missing something with the distances. Only a 5k run in an oly distance tri?  Also, Jimmy Johns day old bread is the best. Good call on that. Wish they would open up a shop in Atlanta.
2006-07-17 3:07 PM
in reply to: #485169

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

atl_runner - 2006-07-17 2:54 PM

Am I missing something with the distances. Only a 5k run in an oly distance tri?

They shortened it due to heat (1.5k swim, 21.7 mi bike, 3 mi run) as last year's heat put a lot of people in the med tent and hospital (and garnered bad press for Lifetime).  By the time Hayes and I were on the run, the temp was something like 95 degrees with a heat index of nearly 100F.  There was a section where we were on a bridge with no shade and the air temp was well over 100.  Absolutely brutal... 

2006-07-17 3:19 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
mmm. jimmy john's. mmm. oh wait, what was i going to say?

nice race, especially in those conditions. ballsy taking the hat. dang.

you and i have been playing leap frog. i was down in wakegon last weekend for danskin, then you were up here, and now i'm getting ready to go back down there again for racine. the drive stinks. glad you made it home okay.

2006-07-17 4:46 PM

User image

over a barrier
Yes..they took some distance off for us due to heat...the poor Sprint was still going off when I was mid way through the run!

"There was a section where we were on a bridge with no shade and the air temp was well over 100. Absolutely brutal... "

If you're referring to the turnaround bridge with the cones...YES, I believe my exact words were "are you f'ing kidding me" That bump of a bridge felt like a mountain....I think the camera guy was sitting on top...can't wait to see that picture.

I had car problems at the convention center so I stopped at the JJ's for a pepe and a loaf of bread while the car cooled off....decided that make a good carb meal. I could live on the stuff!

Edited by running2far 2006-07-17 4:48 PM
2006-07-27 2:16 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Sounds like the heat put the hurt on a lot of people.  Way to power through it.  Nice job.

Sorry this is so late, I'm catching up on some reading.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed