General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foam rolling doesn't actually do anything! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-11 10:46 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Subject: Foam rolling doesn't actually do anything!
http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/itb-or-not-itb-that-is-the-questi...
I own the Stick, Triggerpoint and a foam roller. It seems I've been duped!

2013-06-11 10:52 PM
in reply to: kingofbanff

Illinois
Subject: RE: Foam rolling doesn't actually do anything!
You must be doing it wrong.

Foam rolling is a miracle worker. I foam roll after every workout before I stretch to get all of the kinks out. As well as help flush out all of the lactate out of the muscles and get the blood flowing.
2013-06-11 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Are you using it right? I thought foam rollers were smoke and mirrors until I started using one. I've noticed a big improvement. My calves and ham strings were super tight until I started rolling them out on a regular basis. I'm a believer.
2013-06-11 10:58 PM
in reply to: 0

Illinois
Originally posted by kingofbanff

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/itb-or-not-itb-that-is-the-questi...
I own the Stick, Triggerpoint and a foam roller. It seems I've been duped!

In the article you posted is says word for word, "I would therefore question what one of the most common treatments employed to tackle this syndrome, foam rolling, is physiologically achieving, attempting to release a non-contractile tissue which has the tensile strength of steel and is anchored firmly to cortical bone."

It is questioning foam rolling for IT Band treatments. It does not say explicitly that it does not work when used for IT Band treatments. Also, it does not negate,or even touch on the subject, that foam rolling is good after long or hard workouts to, as I said above, get all of the kinks out, help flush out the lactate, and get the blood flowing.

Not only that, I question the articles validity and bias based on the fact that every other sentence it says "the dreaded foam roller"

Edited by FastFish26 2013-06-11 11:00 PM
2013-06-11 11:52 PM
in reply to: FastFish26

User image

Pro

I had ITBS syndrome, then plantars faciatis (how DO you spell it?), then hip flexor issues, and other problems.  I foam rolled religiously after being taught by a physical therapist and then a chiro......nothing.  

Over 9 months ago I started running every day and I quit foam rolling and stretching. I don't miss a day.  I'm pain/injury free. My legs pick right up on a run and don't have time from day to day to develop stiffness/tightness.  

Foam rolling did squat for me.  Running frequency fixed my problems....at least that's my story.

2013-06-12 6:35 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Payson, AZ
I would agree that foam rolling is probably not effective against ITBS.  IMO, if you are prone to ITBS strength training and ART are the cure/prevention.  Not sure the stick will be any more affective then a foam roller.  That being said, a foam roller is great at dealing with tight muscles for those of us who don't want to get a message.

2013-06-12 7:16 AM
in reply to: FastFish26

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by FastFish26

You must be doing it wrong.

Foam rolling is a miracle worker. I foam roll after every workout before I stretch to get all of the kinks out. As well as help flush out all of the lactate out of the muscles and get the blood flowing.

While there are likely benefits to using a foam roller or similar device, flushing lactate out is definitely not one of them.

Shane
2013-06-12 7:19 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Champion
Originally posted by bzgl40

I would agree that foam rolling is probably not effective against ITBS.  IMO, if you are prone to ITBS strength training and ART are the cure/prevention.  Not sure the stick will be any more affective then a foam roller.  That being said, a foam roller is great at dealing with tight muscles for those of us who don't want to get a message.

Precisely - the intent of a foam roller or similar is not to stretch the IT band; it may help with ITBS depending on what is leading to the issue but these devices are designed to address the muscles and not the connective tissues (although connective tissues of course are impacted by muscles).

Shane
2013-06-12 7:19 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Perimeter Trash Dallas, TX
Foam rolling did not help my calves. Running Frequency, more stretching, and rolling the ball (lacrosse) has done miracles. 6 days a week on the run, even if for 3/4 mile after a bike ride.
2013-06-12 7:26 AM
in reply to: auto

User image

Champion
Originally posted by auto

Foam rolling did not help my calves. Running Frequency, more stretching, and rolling the ball (lacrosse) has done miracles. 6 days a week on the run, even if for 3/4 mile after a bike ride.

Not surprising; the best way to condition the body for running is running and when you are running frequently, you are forced to run easier most of the which means that your body is more able to adapt to the stresses of running.

Shane
2013-06-12 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by FastFish26 You must be doing it wrong. Foam rolling is a miracle worker. I foam roll after every workout before I stretch to get all of the kinks out. As well as help flush out all of the lactate out of the muscles and get the blood flowing.
While there are likely benefits to using a foam roller or similar device, flushing lactate out is definitely not one of them. Shane

So what does flush Lactate?

Because I had a pain in my neck/shoulder and went to the Chiropractor last night and he said I had a huge knot from lactate that did not get flushed out :/

And FWIW I was having hip pain after running and using a triggerpiont quad-roller has really seemed to help so far. 

Man! I feel like an old lady, pain here, pain there....

2013-06-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Lactic acid is created during glycolisis, higher levels are present when you are excercising because your body needs to create more energy. Within a few minutes of ceasing excercise your lactate levels return to normal. It is a huge misconception that lactic acid buildup is the cause of soreness. Really soreness is caused by the breakdown of muscle fibers and the subsequent repair of those muscle fibers.
2013-06-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Meljoypip

So what does flush Lactate?

Your body when you stop exercising.

Shane
2013-06-12 9:36 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by auto Foam rolling did not help my calves. Running Frequency, more stretching, and rolling the ball (lacrosse) has done miracles. 6 days a week on the run, even if for 3/4 mile after a bike ride.
Not surprising; the best way to condition the body for running is running and when you are running frequently, you are forced to run easier most of the which means that your body is more able to adapt to the stresses of running. Shane

For the record, I pretty much x2 anything Shane says ever.

In my own random opinion, there ain't nothin' wrong particularly with the foamie, stickie, tennis-ball rollie, raw-potato rollie, etc. At the same time, I would take a very long careful look at the different aspects your running if you're absolutely dependent upon them instead of them being a once-in-a-while thing to (use a real scientific term) get the kinks out.

Yeah ... lactic acid. Lots of misconceptions. Your legs are not hurting because lactic acid like some kind of chemical acid is actually burning/has burnt your tissues. That is not what is happening. It's not accumulating in little or big clumps anywhere.

2013-06-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: TriAya

Master
Memphis, TN
For me it works on my calves. On hamstrings it doesn't really help. I was always bad about if a little stretching is good more is better and found out that was causing my injuries. No I stretch out the calves and quads lightly before a run and go with it. Every once in a while on training runs I'll get some tightness so I stop and stretch lightly.

By the time I get done I rarely have to stretch.

When I increase mileage I love the foam roller on my calves
2013-06-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Expert
Chicago
So . . . it's not a miracle elixir and it seems to help some people (including me) and is not helpful for others. OK, I think I got it.

2013-06-12 10:49 AM

User image

New user

I think this title is incorrect. It's not that foam roller doesn't do anything, it's that it may not do what you first thought it did to fight ITBS. I've battled with it and not once has a professional I've gone to see said, "Here's a foam roller, it will solve all your problems.".
2013-06-12 11:20 AM
in reply to: Paused

User image

Veteran
"I think this title is incorrect. It's not that foam roller doesn't do anything, it's that it may not do what you first thought it did to fight ITBS."

but who'd click on that thread??? ;-)

Agree.
2013-06-12 11:26 AM
in reply to: karlaj

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
My foam roller does something at least, it's always trying to trip me.
2013-06-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: karlaj

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

It is my understanding that the lymphatic system normally processes lactic acid and flushes it out of the body.  One thing that inhibits this process though is muscle tightness--a tight muscle constricts the flow of the lymphatic fluid that does the flushing and eliminating.

One great way to overcome muscle tightness is through deep tissue massage.  The foam roller is simply a way to give yourself a deep tissue massage.  If you use it properly, you can get even deeper into your own muscles than your sports massage therapist does.  I know I do, and my masseuse does NOT take it easy on me!

2013-06-12 11:55 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Like many other things in life-we do it because it feels good. 

Roll or don't roll!  What's the big deal?

2013-06-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

I find that if I use my roller on my quads and the outsides of my legs before I bike/run, I don't get a soreness on the outside middle of my knee. I'm not sure what the cause of the soreness is exactly, but I do know that using the roller helps mitigate it.

That being said, there are probably stretches and other techniques that would be equally or more effective as my roller, but I don't know what they are so the roller is what I go with.

Edited by FloridaGreg 2013-06-12 12:18 PM
2013-06-12 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by noelle1230

It is my understanding that the lymphatic system normally processes lactic acid and flushes it out of the body.

Lactic acid is only found in the human body as a transitory compound and does not accumulate. Lactate does accumulate and this is first used in the cell as fuel; when there is more lactate produced (through anaerobic metabolism) than can be used by the cell, it will be passed to the blood stream and transported to other cells. If one continues producing more lactate than can be used by the cells, blood lactate will accumulate and this is typically what is measured during a lactate threshold test. Once one stops exercising, the accumulated lactate will be consumed by the cells as energy and since lactate is no longer being produced faster than the cells are using it so blood lactate returns to baseline levels.

Shane

2013-06-12 2:09 PM

Illinois

It is my understanding that the lymphatic system normally processes lactic acid and flushes it out of the body.  One thing that inhibits this process though is muscle tightness--a tight muscle constricts the flow of the lymphatic fluid that does the flushing and eliminating.

One great way to overcome muscle tightness is through deep tissue massage.  The foam roller is simply a way to give yourself a deep tissue massage.  If you use it properly, you can get even deeper into your own muscles than your sports massage therapist does.  I know I do, and my masseuse does NOT take it easy on me!

Exactly!! That was my point. I was not inferring that the foam roller itself flushes out the lactate. It helps the process by self massaging your muscles using your own force and body weight without getting a massage weekly/bi-weekly, which can is costly.
2013-06-12 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

It is my understanding that the lymphatic system normally processes lactic acid and flushes it out of the body.

Lactic acid is only found in the human body as a transitory compound and does not accumulate. Lactate does accumulate and this is first used in the cell as fuel; when there is more lactate produced (through anaerobic metabolism) than can be used by the cell, it will be passed to the blood stream and transported to other cells. If one continues producing more lactate than can be used by the cells, blood lactate will accumulate and this is typically what is measured during a lactate threshold test. Once one stops exercising, the accumulated lactate will be consumed by the cells as energy and since lactate is no longer being produced faster than the cells are using it so blood lactate returns to baseline levels.

Shane

and to be even more technical, it is not the lactic acid that causes the pain/burning sensation in your legs. Excess H+ ions, essentially an increase in acidity, cause the pain. A phisiological adaptation that you can actually "train" is to increase your body's buffer capacity so that you can handle a higher concentration or lactic acid before feeling the burn. This is how your lactate threshold can actually change, you body has increased its ability to handle higher levels of free H+ ions before reducing your muscles' ability to do work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foam rolling doesn't actually do anything! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Foam roller / tennis ball rolling

Started by pga_mike
Views: 4186 Posts: 11

2010-11-17 8:47 AM aquagirl

foam roll users

Started by edmac
Views: 1374 Posts: 11

2009-09-22 8:26 AM rbean01

Too much Foam Rolling and Stretching?

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2878 Posts: 15

2009-01-22 8:13 AM Dream Chaser

Foam Roll trouble?

Started by DRLski
Views: 1199 Posts: 10

2006-09-29 9:52 PM MandiGayle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 27, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I've got ITBS and foot issues and have been rolling it out with the foam roller. How long should I roll per session and how many sessions per day?

date : November 15, 2012
author : PosiChiro.com
comments : 0
Dr. Kathy Coutinho’s presentation will discuss how to attain ultimate form and balance to maximize your body’s athletic function, includes many techniques for injury prevention.
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : July 28, 2008
author : davebass63
comments : 1
A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?